Accurascale's First O Gauge Locomotive???

Rate this topic

Following on from THIS quote on RMW, is anybody else excited for the first O gauge Accurascale locomotive?

[QUOTE=]
Hi everyone,

Excellent to see that there is interest in us doing more O gauge. So much so, we want to let you into a little secret...

We can confirm that we have designed our first O gauge locomotive and it is going to tooling in the coming weeks. It is not a locomotive currently in our OO range, so it is O gauge from the ground up. Feel free to wildy speculate on what it might be!

We will reveal it when tooling is complete and a pre-production sample is in hand later this year.

Cheers!

Fran [/QUOTE]

Screenshot_20230516-223911.png

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

16 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Generally for 0 gauge. Something smaller is more idea and affordable? 

of course it could be an 0 gauge N/K class 👀

Obviously I'm hoping for an O gauge IRM A Class after the first one or two loco launches prove so popular and sell out on pre-order...

Without going too nutty, something to haul these HUO's would be nice.

10 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Following on from THIS quote on RMW, is anybody else excited for the first O gauge Accurascale locomotive?

[QUOTE=]
Hi everyone,

Excellent to see that there is interest in us doing more O gauge. So much so, we want to let you into a little secret...

We can confirm that we have designed our first O gauge locomotive and it is going to tooling in the coming weeks. It is not a locomotive currently in our OO range, so it is O gauge from the ground up. Feel free to wildy speculate on what it might be!

We will reveal it when tooling is complete and a pre-production sample is in hand later this year.

Cheers!

Fran [/QUOTE]

Screenshot_20230516-223911.png

God, that eejit talks some nonsense! 

• Agree 1
  • WOW! 1
  • Funny 5

5 minutes ago, Noel said:

IMHO, No viable market here for O gauge Irish stock. But I'd nearly shave my head for an O gauge 141 to IRM's standards. But reckon over 3 years you'd sell max 200-300 locos if even that.

I'm obviously overly optimistic, as always, and that I will concede, but at the same time, maybe your figures are a bit low, and fail to take into account the global market for Irish and / or O Gauge?

Remember this?

On 30/4/2020 at 6:47 PM, Noel said:

Was just thinking the well is only so deep in the Irish market, with the A class coming after 121 and the Irish economy suffering CV-19 effect will the market demand be there for much more? After the kegs is project 42 not finished? Will yellow PW stuff sell well?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

I'm obviously overly optimistic, as always, and that I will concede, but at the same time, maybe your figures are a bit low, and fail to take into account the global market for Irish and / or O Gauge?

Remember this?

TBH he is kinda right

At the moment I am packed with Irish Stock which is a good problem to have compared to years ago and purchased a lot of stuff enthusiastically each time a new model popped out.

I found out the fiddle yard I had designed for a UK based Layout for 3 coach trains is too small now for Irish Block Trains, IR/IE Era. Also flogging off surplus stuff I will never run or need as well. constructed in the constraints of  a 15 x 10ft space

I will be a lot more focused on what I will be buying in future and stick to an Era where as before I was picking with blind enthusiasm.

Have loads of coaches too, Again too many for a medium layout, Gonna pass on any Mk.3 as they are just too long. Only the PP yokes. The pic is a Mk.3 8 set on a 12ft long scenic section so shows how long these trains are. (not mine BTW)

Hope to get rid of the Portabcabin and go to a 30ft steeltech shed with insulation (10ftx10ft office / 20ftx10ft model room) so work really has halted on this as the exhibition layout is impracticable to move as a one man band.

(Not sure why the text has turned red)

image.thumb.png.6fc95a637ef8755db5c9339f0376e690.pngthe pi

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

TBH he is kinda right

At the moment I am packed with Irish Stock which is a good problem to have compared to years ago and purchased a lot of stuff enthusiastically each time a new model popped out.

I can't agree there. I don't think it's time for IRM to throw the towel in, just yet.

If China do something stupider than usual and get sanctioned, that may have an impact on output, but I do not see demand drying up without a mitigating factor like prices being tripled.

Back to O gauge, yes, definitely fanciful, definitely not likely to be on the IRM radar at thr moment, but...

If somebody had told me ten years ago that the abundance of high quality RTR models we now have was likely, never mind definite, I'd have laughed at them.

And, I'm probably not the only one.

• Like 2

As a 7mm modeller, I think Irish modelling as an individual (as opposed to a club) in this scale actually works more easily with older prototypes, which tended to have more scope for shorter and more varied trains. Modern Irish trains take up a lot more space than the old Loughrea formations, for instance….

A 7mm 071 and 6 Mk3s, for example, will take up 3.5m just standing still. Just imagine how much room you’d need for a layout that will do that justice. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

As a 7mm modeller, I think Irish modelling as an individual (as opposed to a club) in this scale actually works more easily with older prototypes, which tended to have more scope for shorter and more varied trains. Modern Irish trains take up a lot more space than the old Loughrea formations, for instance….

A 7mm 071 and 6 Mk3s, for example, will take up 3.5m just standing still. Just imagine how much room you’d need for a layout that will do that justice. 

So you'd suggest a C Class, a 121, a 141 or a 181 for the first IRM O gauge loco? I could definitely get behind that.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

I’d actually suggest an MGW E/ GSR  J26….the UK equivalent (Dapol Terrier) has kickstarted many a small O gauge layout over here. 

One of these?

And look at this quote...

Hmmmmmmmm...

On 8/11/2017 at 10:53 PM, Garfield said:

Nice one, Eoin! @Warbonnet is slowly working his way through one of those kits, too. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

As it's an Accurascale loco, then it stands to reason its a UK prototype. The lads have hinted that it has an Irish connection, so then I reckon it's either one that was/is in use over here as well as in Britain (or very similar to one). As others have said smaller seems to be better when it comes to O, so I think there's a good chance it could be one of the industrial locos from a UK manufacturer. Which ever it is, it's likely the prototype is still in existence somewhere.

So if the prototype ran in both Britain and Ireland and if we're feeling very lucky, then perhaps it could be a CSÉ Ruston, or maybe one of the shunters from Guinness, LP&HC, or Shell? (I don't know enough about them to know how generic those ones' designs are though)

Edited by Flying Snail
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Flying Snail said:

As it's an Accurascale loco, then it stands to reason its a UK prototype. The lads have hinted that it has an Irish connection, so then I reckon it's either one that was/is in use over here as well as in Britain (or very similar to one). As others have said smaller seems to be better when it comes to O, so I think there's a good chance it could be one of the industrial locos from a UK manufacturer. Which ever it is, it's likely the prototype is still in existence somewhere.

So if the prototype ran in both Britain and Ireland and if we're feeling very lucky, then perhaps it could be a CSÉ Ruston, or maybe one of the shunters from Guinness, LP&HC, or Shell? (I don't know enough about them to know how generic those ones' designs are though)

Yes, I was just suggesting what Irish loco they might build! Looking at their existing wagon production in 7mm suggests that it’s a fairly modern piece of kit, the Irish connection possibly being a common GM power plant ? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Quite a bit out of my depth here but I believe the CIE Class D /J1A diesel shunting locos Nos 1000 to 1004 later D301 to D305 were quite similar to the UK Class 10  and later Class 08 so would that be a possibility?

Feb23Med011 Inchicore D303 3 May 1969

Personally I’d prefer a proper loco that could haul coaches or rake of two axle wagons. Hence the 141 mention as that could haul resprayed br mk2 O gauge stock or resprayed collets as fake laminates, or any resprayed GWR wagons. Shunters don’t quite fit the bill for that. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Noel said:

Personally I’d prefer a proper loco that could haul coaches or rake of two axle wagons. Hence the 141 mention as that could haul resprayed br mk2 O gauge stock or resprayed collets as fake laminates, or any resprayed GWR wagons. Shunters don’t quite fit the bill for that. 

Although I disagree with your use of the term "proper loco", I agree with your sentiment and I'd rather a mainline loco than a yard-only loco.

Maybe if we both shave our heads, or shave each others' heads, IRM will run a mainline BO-BO for us.

• Agree 1

On 17/5/2023 at 8:47 AM, Galteemore said:

Take it to the garden, granted not the best climate where you guys are, (we have our moments too)

little interest in industrial though 😞 

Edited by DiveController
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, murphaph said:

I suspect the Irish connection is on the more tenuous side rather than something that ran in Ireland. Otherwise we'd probably be hearing about another joint IRM/AS project like the mk 2's. Could be an Oliver Bulleid connection perhaps?

I suspect the Irish connection is even more vague, like, "I'm @BosKonay and I love trolling you all. Trolls are green so there's an Irish connection" ...

• Funny 2

On 17/5/2023 at 6:23 PM, Irishswissernie said:

Quite a bit out of my depth here but I believe the CIE Class D /J1A diesel shunting locos Nos 1000 to 1004 later D301 to D305 were quite similar to the UK Class 10  and later Class 08 so would that be a possibility?

Feb23Med011 Inchicore D303 3 May 1969

How close were the CIE D Class and the BR 08 Class?

Aside from the overall shape, almost everything on the body looks different to me.

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Will we see an O Gauge EP at the October show?

Something to haul those O Gauge RPSI Mk2's maybe?

And don't lie to me, there's no way that they're OO!

Lol, perhaps :)

We should also have fully working EP's of several other items. 

• 1 month later...