eBay Watch

Rate this topic

BosKonay

JHB I admire your knowledge of the the history of our railways and enjoy reading your posts, especially steam related threads. There are a lot of lurkers and visitors on the group that are getting into the hobby and aren't all that clued up at the moment on the accuracy and fidelity of model to prototype. We owe it to these people to point these things out so they don't make a mistake they regret later.

Once you post a model on ebay or other auction sites with a starting price then be prepared for people to voice their opinion if they think the model is a poor effort with barely a passing resemblance to the prototype.

Rich,

Totally NUTS - €228 for an orange roof EGV when they could have bought the black roofed EGV for €65 and resprayed the roof orange, or paid one of the respray vendors €20 for doing it, or buy a Super Train EGV for €56 and have the tippex sprayed on for a few euro by one of the respray vendors. There is collection and there is OCD. They will never ever get their money back. And none of those Mk2d are even the right shade of orange anyway.

And €274.84 for two auto-ballasters!!! Well done to the seller. :)

Edited by Noel
lexdysia

JHB I admire your knowledge of the the history of our railways and enjoy reading your posts, especially steam related threads. There are a lot of lurkers and visitors on the group that are getting into the hobby and aren't all that clued up at the moment on the accuracy and fidelity of model to prototype. We owe it to these people to point these things out so they don't make a mistake they regret later.

Once you post a model on ebay or other auction sites with a starting price then be prepared for people to voice their opinion if they think the model is a poor effort with barely a passing resemblance to the prototype.

Rich,

Thank you, Rich.... I suppose when I've lived through much of "history", I might as well regurgitate it! Seriously, though, I know that every layout is its creator's world, and we all have different emphases. Some like just running round a circle, and why not; but for those who DO crave accuracy, it is important, I feel, for information to be available for them to achieve it. There's many a model which in one way or another isn't at all accurate, or is decorated in a way assumed to be near enough, but in fact so wide of the mark that to those who remember them very familiarly, they are very odd looking indeed. If the modeller knows, but is happy enough or even prefers it his way, fair enough, but if he wants accuracy there will be some sort of info, somewhere, which people will see.

Many of my posts are inspired by what I have seen myself, as my own more vivid personal memories go back to the early 1960s. Others are inspired by seeing a highly accurate layout where it is very obvious that the owner has gone to extraordinary lengths to achieve absolute accuracy, but there may be one glaring - but commonly repeated - inaccuracy. Yellow snails on tenders spring to mind. You know what I mean!

Anyway, it keeps me off the streets and out of bars.....

Arghh! The inaccuracy! It burns!

If it was selling for scrap prices might be useful as donors for learning how to spray paint and/or weathering, otherwise loco wheels might be useful as a kitchen utensil for pizza slicing. :) One sold a year ago for a sensible €50.

Edited by Noel

• 3 weeks later...
It makes you wonder

The underbidder in the Feb auction was outbid on his £190 bid but he never even bid on the second auction

Might have something to do with being an "Irish" auction as opposed to a "UK" one?

Ok, that makes sense. I've noticed many MM items don't show up on eBay.ie but only eBay.co.uk. Never understood the "don't post to Ireland" thing by many UK sellers on items primarily of interest to ROI market! Used Address Pal and formerly Parcel Motel got around that little hurdle.

Never understood the "don't post to Ireland" thing by many UK sellers on items primarily of interest to ROI market! Used Address Pal and formerly Parcel Motel got around that little hurdle.

There is still, quite bizarrely, a lot of confusion here on the Big Island about what is in the UK and what isn't. It is by no means unusual to see people get off the Dublin ferry with Sterling cash and be quite agitated when it's refused. I have posted stuff to Laois on occasion and have been told, more than once, by Post Office counter clerks, that "it must be in Northern Ireland", I've had to argue to get the right postage on it and avoid the issue at the other end. I have even had that argument with the same clerk twice now.

People are also often very perturbed by the lack of a Postcode, even though Eircodes are available now - if you do use an Eircode, you risk being told that it is wrong, because it 'looks different'.

• 2 weeks later...
There is still, quite bizarrely, a lot of confusion here on the Big Island about what is in the UK and what isn't. It is by no means unusual to see people get off the Dublin ferry with Sterling cash and be quite agitated when it's refused. I have posted stuff to Laois on occasion and have been told, more than once, by Post Office counter clerks, that "it must be in Northern Ireland", I've had to argue to get the right postage on it and avoid the issue at the other end. I have even had that argument with the same clerk twice now.

People are also often very perturbed by the lack of a Postcode, even though Eircodes are available now - if you do use an Eircode, you risk being told that it is wrong, because it 'looks different'.

Absolutely ridiculous, especially from a so-called postal person! I have to say the post office near me (yes, we still have one) is very good, but if a post office can't tell the difference between a British postcode an eircode; and don't know where Co. Laois is, hmmm......

They'd know where Normandy or Alabama were, without ever necessarily having set foot in France or the USA!

They'd know where Normandy or Alabama were, without ever necessarily having set foot in France or the USA!

Very few films or TV programmes even mention Laois, much less are set in it...

Even all the CI registered vehicles in Father Ted have failed to raise the profile.

Edited by Broithe

It's in Southeast Asia near Burma isn't it, or maybe I'm mixed up with a South American country, or a city in Nigeria? :)

Now I know "County Laois-Offaly", cause its in the telly every general election, there is always some red-necks leaping up and down screaming hullabaloos in soprano voices, carrying an old red faced guy around on their shoulders with a badly fitted toupee when the election count is read out and somebody has won something. :)

Edited by Noel

It's in Southeast Asia near Burma isn't it, or maybe I'm mixed up with a South American country, or a city in Nigeria? :)

Now I know "County Laois-Offaly", cause its in the telly every general election, there is always some red-necks leaping up and down screaming hullabaloos in soprano voices, carrying an old faced guy around on their shoulders with a badly fitted toupee when the election count is read out and somebody has won something. :)

That would be Jackie "Ming" Ray-Healy, the King'o'the Culchies, boyo.

Even all the CI registered vehicles in Father Ted have failed to raise the profile.

Scandlas, boy.

Now I know "County Laois-Offaly", cause its in the telly every general election, there is always some red-necks leaping up and down screaming hullabaloos in soprano voices, carrying an old faced guy around on their shoulders with a badly fitted toupee when the election count is read out and somebody has won something. :)

I remain concerned that the Durrow Scarecrow Festival could so easily transform into a Wicker Man style event.

• 4 weeks later...