New IÉ logo...

Rate this topic

Garfield

Here's a bit of a theory. Since that plan has the 3-pin-plug logo on it, could it be a potential experimental design for when they first brought in the freight livery; one which they discarded in favour of the black and silver at the time? You'd think that if it was a new one, it would have the new tricolour logo on it.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did it not run in grey too? Thought it had a few liveries.

Thought it was turned out first in dark grey with no identification, then red 'CC1' added and finally turned out in mid green, eau de nil 'CC1' and waistband and, oddly, eau de nil wasp stripes on the ends.

Edited by minister_for_hardship

Minister and Warbonnet - I'm only aware of green. It would certainly have had grey undercoat as locos were often photographed officially in grey for works photos before being properly painted. This showed detail up better in the b & W works photos. 800 "Maedb" was grey with details picked out in black and white for its works photo in 1939 - I have several copies showing this (and minus nameplate too). I know that the "wasp stripes" were not added right a the start, (and I've a notion they were yellow rather than eau-de-nil, but can't be sure), and the number CC1 was also not there right at the start.

Once painted thus, it ended its days in the standard CIE mid-green, albeit with non-standard markings!

I remember seeing the chassis of it kicking about Inchicore - that was still green. Odd looking thing..........

Getting information as to what goes on in Inchicore is like trying to get Cold War intel on the Soviet Union.

Harder. You need the CIA and their waterboarding to find out anything. It's like the Stonecutters society.

A guy called to tell you about a meeting for a wink wink at the you know what.=))