murphys models

Rate this topic

Colin R

1 hour ago, Ken K said:

Just recieved some lovely Black n Tans thansk to all for such amazing models. Did i miss something regarding decoders? was there to be an announcement regarding dedicated decoders for the new 141/181's?

Recalls to mind a story from my long-ago youth; I was in Kildare cabin with my dad talking to the signalman, who he knew. A train went speeding through without stopping. All the carriages were green, bar the very last one which was onbiously only newly repainted in black'n'tan (all were Bredins and laminates of varying types).

Senior says to the signalman, whose name i forget, "Oh! Is that the new livery!!" as the whole thing sped through.

"Yeah", say signalman, in deadpan voice. "ye'd think we'd seen the last'o'the black'n'tans by this stage...."

Seems like only yesterday, but it has to have been summer 1962, given which relative we were visiting on the day.

The earlier Murphy 141 rolls into Dugort Harbour one afternoon in 1964.

IMG_E9265.JPG

• Like 9
  • WOW! 1

50 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Will you be getting more in when they sell out like the mk2d's or is that it?

According to Murphy Models numbers are very tight on these as it was not a large production run, so it would "remain to be seen" to be honest.

Let's see what comes up but we wouldnt hang around waiting if you want one.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

They're moving fast, I see 186 is already out of stock and three more are already down to single digits!! 🔥

I have a few on their way to me, but I was holding out until pay day to see if I would grab a couple more .. looks like I'll miss that train 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ken K said:

Just recieved some lovely Black n Tans thansk to all for such amazing models. Did i miss something regarding decoders? was there to be an announcement regarding dedicated decoders for the new 141/181's?

I'm told WheelTappers about to release ESU v5 sound decoders for the new MM re-run 141/181 locos. Apparently their web site is down at the moment. The projects support the full ESU prototypical full throttle software's driving features such as Coasting, Braking, train loads, various rail sounds and flange sequeal, cascading wagon train coupling snatching and cascading wagon to wagon buffer clashing, etc, as well as lighting arrangements for double header consists, shunting, etc. Personally I use wheeltapper decoder projects for sound because of their superior and more realistic driving characteristics. Prefer them to other vanilla ESU projects based on north american EMDs that lack coasting, long distance train braking that make driving so much more fun. Back in the 1970s we call this inertia braking with electronic DC controllers of the day. I'm sure MM may release their own sound decoders in time as they did for the 121s. For me as a model train operator the driving prototypically is as important as the actual sound quality if not more.

PS: On the subject of Murphy Models I was in Marks Models yesterday collecting some MM stock and noticed the new tippex coaches are fabulous looking with the correct deeper shade of orange compared to the original 2008 mk2d production run which was rather yellow in tone. 

image.thumb.png.4b2791a117d58b9ec72aaafc7e2362bb.png

• Like 8

4 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Recalls to mind a story from my long-ago youth; I was in Kildare cabin with my dad talking to the signalman, who he knew. A train went speeding through without stopping. All the carriages were green, bar the very last one which was onbiously only newly repainted in black'n'tan (all were Bredins and laminates of varying types).

Senior says to the signalman, whose name i forget, "Oh! Is that the new livery!!" as the whole thing sped through.

"Yeah", say signalman, in deadpan voice. "ye'd think we'd seen the last'o'the black'n'tans by this stage...."

Seems like only yesterday, but it has to have been summer 1962, given which relative we were visiting on the day.

IMG_E9265.JPG

Great story and great picture Jonathan 👏

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 6/4/2024 at 6:21 PM, WRENNEIRE said:

On the subject of the 141/181's there are 9 models
2 x B&T, 2 X S/T 2 X IE & 3 X IR
Looking at the IR models I see that 2 are in "proper" IR livery and the 3rd one, 174sa is
the transitional one, old Supertrain livery with tippex stripes and IR logo
Very clever Mr Murphy.

image.thumb.jpeg.a233e36074da4751c600ae79314c519c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.499418bedc80b48590ff1590bb60d450.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a682b88ccd9b3cf32577ed48b86a6767.jpeg

Got my one today and its just beautiful. 

One question, has anyone tried to get the body off yet? I read the instructions and did as they said but to no joy. I'm afraid I'll break the loco if i squeeze it too hard. Has anyone got any tips on how to get the body off, I'm trying to install the 21pin DCC chip.

Edited by Keano30

8 minutes ago, Keano30 said:

Got my one today and its just beautiful. 

One question, has anyone tried to get the body off yet? I read the instructions and did as they said but to no joy. I'm afraid I'll break the loco if i squeeze it too hard. Has anyone got any tips on how to get the body off, I'm trying to install the 21pin DCC chip.

Same body removal technique as the original models. 

1. Leave the walkway rails on, just temporarily unclip for both cab ends
  2. Pinch body sides with wooden sticks (eg ice cream sticks or the outside edge of wooden cloths pegs) to lever body upwards enough to get a thin flat screen driver underneath see send pic below. If you're careful you won't damage or dislodge the walkway rails and they'll clip back into both cabs once there are back on.
  3. Leave the cab that is connected to the body at the grill end connected to the body centre piece as it is removed, the other cab end slides up and off easily
  4. Just keep gently but firmly pinching the sides until you create a 1 or 1/2mm gap between the body and walkway, and then gentle lever up at each end until it can be pulled free by hand. 
  5. When putting the body back on get the cabs the same way around and the body centre section of the ladder fits into the walkway holes.
  6. Once off just remove the 21-pin blanking plate and install the 21-pin decoder
  7. Then suggest off to test track to program the decoders address (eg 147 or 185). Test the loco runs ok before putting the body back on.

IMG_1236.JPG

IMG_1235.JPG

IMG_1237.JPG

PS: The loco is supplied with a built in speaker so you won't have to solder a speaker to the PCB like the original production run from 2008.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 4

4 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

IMG_E9265.JPG

Great story and excellent photo!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Noel said:

Same body removal technique as the original models. 

1. Leave the walkway rails on, just temporarily unclip for both cab ends
  2. Pinch body sides with wooden sticks (eg ice cream sticks or the outside edge of wooden cloths pegs) to lever body upwards enough to get a thin flat screen driver underneath see send pic below. If you're careful you won't damage or dislodge the walkway rails and they'll clip back into both cabs once there are back on.
  3. Leave the cab that is connected to the body at the grill end connected to the body centre piece as it is removed, the other cab end slides up and off easily
  4. Just keep gently but firmly pinching the sides until you create a 1 or 1/2mm gap between the body and walkway, and then gentle lever up at each end until it can be pulled free by hand. 
  5. When putting the body back on get the cabs the same way around and the body centre section of the ladder fits into the walkway holes.
  6. Once off just remove the 21-pin blanking plate and install the 21-pin decoder
  7. Then suggest off to test track to program the decoders address (eg 147 or 185). Test the loco runs ok before putting the body back on.

IMG_1236.JPG

IMG_1235.JPG

IMG_1237.JPG

PS: The loco is supplied with a built in speaker so you won't have to solder a speaker to the PCB like the original production run from 2008.

Thank you Noel I’ll give that try later this evening. Much appreciated for your tips

Update: Yep that worked but it took a small screw driver under the cab to move the clips that hold the body to the chassis. Squeezing didn't work at all. By placing a flat head screw driver against the orange clips and twisting the screw driver slightly it moved the clips enough for them to disengage from the chassis.  

Edited by Keano30