murphys models

Rate this topic

Colin R

Hi Guys, I am sure some of you have seen this already but just out of interest but what would a Murphys models snack car be worth on E bay

eBay item number:225619196646

As much as I would like it I don't have the cash to buy it so heads up to this community, he also has a couple of other Irish coaches as well for sale, so if you are interested check it out

Colin Rainsbury   

Have been watching this myself, seller started at £9.99 which will then show how much bidders think they are worth
There is a second standard coach in the lot which will bump up the price and they do not come with original boxes which may put some bidders off
So a couple of Cravens for running, probably make in the £100 - £120 bracket
I also see the snack cars advertised as rare, when in fact there were 2 snacks made so probably more around than is thought
I reckon around €80 is a fair price for a mint boxed version of either

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Sean said:

Whilst i do agree ,I also think with such an abundance of RTR passenger stock on the horizon that it may eat into their "must have" status that they seem to have now. 

It very much depends on peoples modelling eras prior to the mid eighties the stock was mixed after that the Park Royals and cravens tended to be marshalled in sets with the Park Royal's being withdrawn in 1991 but anyone modelling 1990's-2006 Cravens are a must have .

• Informative 1

I think the demand will always be there
I have a list of lads looking for particular numbered Cravens that they missed when they were issued first
Both one stripe and 2 stripe
Because there were only 504 of each coach produced and in the case of the single stripe only 3 coaches produced they are a vanishing asset
So although the Park Royals will be well received the humble Craven will always be in demand

image.thumb.jpeg.43250668a9146c767b47002bd2b5a9b5.jpeg

• Like 5

• 6 months later...

Talking with a certain Santa lookalike today 
He informs me that the Mk11D's should be available from around Jan 15th depending on Customs clearance etc
Impossible to give a date for the baby GM's because of the Chinese New Year and also whether they can be shipped
via long or short route because of the Houthi attacks which can add a month to the journey
201's to be produced next' the schedule to be advised, then Mk 111 coaches with EGV's Restaurants etc, no driving trailer afaif
More announcements to follow when your credit cards have cleared!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Informative 6

4 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Talking with a certain Santa lookalike today 
He informs me that the Mk11D's should be available from around Jan 15th depending on Customs clearance etc
Impossible to give a date for the baby GM's because of the Chinese New Year and also whether they can be shipped
via long or short route because of the Houthi attacks which can add a month to the journey
201's to be produced next' the schedule to be advised, then Mk 111 coaches with EGV's Restaurants etc, no driving trailer afaif
More announcements to follow when your credit cards have cleared!

Thank you for the update looking forward to all of the above any news on a Class 71 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, murphaph said:

@WRENNEIRE Dave are these sort of longer term plans after the small GMs or are we talking about 201s and mkIIIs going to production this year already? It's an ambitious list of stuff to get out.

No offence to anyone, but based on factory schedules and shipping, etc, and the current stages of projects, stuff thats not designed yet / tooled would be at least 24 months away at the soonest, being realistic.

7 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

No offence to anyone, but based on factory schedules and shipping, etc, and the current stages of projects, stuff thats not designed yet / tooled would be at least 24 months away at the soonest, being realistic.

Thanks be to Heaven for that!

2 hours ago, BosKonay said:

Boskonay, don't be saying things like that. You will be accused of knowing nothing about Model Railways and have your post deleted 🤫

• Funny 3

2 minutes ago, BEANO3005 said:

Looking forward to more 141s, I hope they fix the errors on them, the 141s didn't have grills under the headlights. Nice livery.

Screenshot_20231029_165127_Gallery.jpg

The 141s didn't; the murphy details were correct. The only way to tell them apart externally from the 181s was that (initially at any rate), apart from the obvious number, 141s had no grilles but 181s did. A|lso, as originally delivered, and you'll see this correctly with the Murphy ones again, the initial appearance of the 141s did not have a CIE "roundel", though they would acquire them at forst repaint; whereas 181s had them from new.

As a separate issue, I am unaware of any 141s still with no logos on them when repainted into "supertrain" livery after 1972.

• Informative 1

4 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

The 141s didn't; the murphy details were correct. The only way to tell them apart externally from the 181s was that (initially at any rate), apart from the obvious number, 141s had no grilles but 181s did. A|lso, as originally delivered, and you'll see this correctly with the Murphy ones again, the initial appearance of the 141s did not have a CIE "roundel", though they would acquire them at forst repaint; whereas 181s had them from new.

As a separate issue, I am unaware of any 141s still with no logos on them when repainted into "supertrain" livery after 1972.

I think that @BEANO3005 means the new batch, not the old batches. The painted samples of the 141's at Blackrock had nose grilles.

45 minutes ago, BEANO3005 said:

Boskonay, don't be saying things like that. You will be accused of knowing nothing about Model Railways and have your post deleted 🤫

Yeah, the Coastguard is watching!

Edited by DJ Dangerous
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Also by the time that 186 and 189 wore the white stripe Ir and IE livery they definitely didn't the the vents under the headlights. Let's hope this is corrected unlike the mk2 galway gen van. 

Screenshot_20240123_180355_Gallery.jpg

Clear photos of both locos with no vents

Screenshot_20240123_183009_Flickr.jpg

Screenshot_20240123_182749_Flickr.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

On 10/1/2024 at 12:53 PM, BosKonay said:

No offence to anyone, but based on factory schedules and shipping, etc, and the current stages of projects, stuff thats not designed yet / tooled would be at least 24 months away at the soonest, being realisticIMG_77892copy.thumb.jpg.8d76439a3c3cae33c084f0cf38747359.jpg

Somewhere between seven and ten years since originally announced - so DON'T COMPLAIN GUYS about a mere two years!

See it in motion at

Edited by leslie10646

Apologies about the way the "Site" iimplanted my comment in the "Quote" box - so expand it and see my point.

We had a UK Prime Minister, Harold MacMillan, who once said "You've never had it so good"!

And you haven't -  stop whinging!

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Leslie, 

I am not "whinging" as you call it. If people are forking out €60 per coach and €200 Per Locomotive and the errors are so obvious, and they were clearly pointed out to the maker before production began then I'm allowed point this out and have an opinion.

When IRM got their 1st batch of Tara wagons, they were refused, due to a small error (i wouldnt have noticed, nor would many people to be honest) but another run of their wagons was produced before being released for sale.

I pointed out 2 small errors on their A class locomotives, and these were adjusted and fixed before the locos were produced.

The livery errors on the mk2s are inexcusable having being pointed out time and time again. 

So how can one model maker get it so right and another cannot.

I know we never have had it so good, but we are paying top dollar, we would like them looking right, especially when there are plenty of photos to the actual models being produced. 

We had a UK Prime Minister, Harold MacMillan, who once said "You've never had it so good"!

maybe you had the UK prime minister 

WE didn't.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

Beano, Old Boy, I was talking about the complaints about timescales, rather than quality.

I can't comment on liveries at all - I leave that to those who were there!  It does seem to be a minefield.

Maybe that is why I stick to wagons - almost all a sort of grey colour! Mind you you can get into a bog with that too, a recent article I skimmed over mentions the difficulties of getting Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway grey just right.

Anything that happened after 1970 in Ireland was only noticed "in passing" by me when I was over for RPSI tours - the rest of the time I was chasing the remaining steam locos all over the Globe.

• Like 4

I think in the case of the Murphy Models Mk2”s the price increase has been minimal since the last run and Paddy should actually be congratulated on keeping the price very competitive during a time of world wide inflation. 

If things are so bad do a bit of modelling and fix it!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

It's all about balance / compromise.

Agreed that the livery mistake on the EGV's is a shame, and maybe it could have been caught earlier.

At the same time, it hasn't stopped me splurging all over them. Yes, phrasing, @JasonB.

Anybody remember @connollystn talking about how terrible the Murphy Models 201 is because of where a socket on the bumper should have been, but wasn't?

It was a compromise that we have to accept in the price vs. reality debate.

Also, on realism, I'm sure a TLC scales up ro something like one and a half metres. Another compromise we accept.

The bogies on the Mk2D's, from chatting with forum friends, seem to be an upgrade on previous iterations. As does the bogie mounting point on the body. Both changes would have meant new toolings, yet the price is only something like €5 more than the last ones?

I'm sure that some genius will run decals for the EGV sides, and solve the problem. Whethere they should or shouldn't have to is another thing, but I'm sure we'll have a solution.

The mistakes on the 141's / 181's at the Raheny show were probably as @JasonB said somewhere, just bodies from the older runs used to showcase the new liveries.

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

Cant we stop counting rivets and just enjoy our high end high quality toy trains?

Oh no, the number doesnt match the tiny little vent that is invisible at more than 10cm away and the ladder is slightly wrong.

THE ENTIRE PRODUCTION IS RUINED!!!

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

My opinion is slightly nuanced. I can't really "forgive" the EGV livery mistake because there is no additional cost in getting the stripes and whatnot to end where they are supposed to end, but I can't really see Paddy making the mistake on purpose and not recitifying it on purpose. I'd be surprised if some element of that wasn't out of his control. I was never in the market for that livery so it doesn't actually affect me. Having said that, plastic moulding differences do have a real cost in additional tooling requirements and there I am happy to accept compromises like vents, lamp irons or sockets or whatever in the wrong place on a given loco in that particular livery because there were too many variations on the prototypes to cost-effectively accurately (down to the last detail) represent them all. You kind of have to pick one or two and just go with that.

My mk2d's are on their way to me today according to the post office website. Can't wait 🙂

• Like 7
  • Agree 1