murphys models

Rate this topic

Colin R

Hi all,

Things have gotten a bit out of hand here so I've removed a few posts. Ad hominem attacks are out of order.

Can we please stay on topic and remain civilised while discussing the models in question? The banhammer has been kept in its case for a long time now and it would be great if it could be kept there. Cheers!

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 4

20 hours ago, Garfield said:

Hi all,

Things have gotten a bit out of hand here so I've removed a few posts. Ad hominem attacks are out of order.

Can we please stay on topic and remain civilised while discussing the models in question? The banhammer has been kept in its case for a long time now and it would be great if it could be kept there. Cheers!

Yeah, come on guys, imagine arguing on the internet, that's way beneath the likes of me.

😂😂😂

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

So the 141's have landed
So a new box style, a Murphy Models one rather than a Bachmann one
Horns are fitted but the surprise was a set of hand rails included with the usual bits and bobs, happy days!

Nice, very nice indeed!

• Agree 1

On the subject of the 141/181's there are 9 models
2 x B&T, 2 X S/T 2 X IE & 3 X IR
Looking at the IR models I see that 2 are in "proper" IR livery and the 3rd one, 174sa is
the transitional one, old Supertrain livery with tippex stripes and IR logo
Very clever Mr Murphy.

image.thumb.jpeg.a233e36074da4751c600ae79314c519c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.499418bedc80b48590ff1590bb60d450.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a682b88ccd9b3cf32577ed48b86a6767.jpeg

Edited by WRENNEIRE
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Could someone explain to the slower among us (me) what tippex livery is please? Also when talking about supertrain livery I took  this to be black and tan. So what are the black, white and tan called?. 185 for example Ok I just checked pre orders and 185 is described as black and tan, although there is also white on it. Baffled

Edited by derek
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, derek said:

Could someone explain to the slower among us (me) what tippex livery is please? Also when talking about supertrain livery I took  this to be black and tan. So what are the black, white and tan called?. 185 for example Ok I just checked pre orders and 185 is described as black and tan, although there is also white on it. Baffled

Put the kettle on before you click this...

• Informative 1

9 minutes ago, derek said:

In short...

Black and tan:

IMG_20240407_1248279.thumb.jpg.337d65c0d11db5f8383f68f8198fe3fd.jpg

Supertrain:

IMG_20240407_1248402.thumb.jpg.021df12b5c47cd0cc688eaf831d24890.jpg

IR:

IMG_20240407_1248553.thumb.jpg.a784f5078b112a6025fb0a6cadd71c6d.jpg

IE:

IMG_20240407_1249111.thumb.jpg.80a63f7e5b949da97e53a4230a36aaf2.jpg

Enjoy!

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

In short...

Black and tan:

IMG_20240407_1248279.thumb.jpg.337d65c0d11db5f8383f68f8198fe3fd.jpg

Supertrain:

IMG_20240407_1248402.thumb.jpg.021df12b5c47cd0cc688eaf831d24890.jpg

IR:

IMG_20240407_1248553.thumb.jpg.a784f5078b112a6025fb0a6cadd71c6d.jpg

IE:

IMG_20240407_1249111.thumb.jpg.80a63f7e5b949da97e53a4230a36aaf2.jpg

Enjoy!

20 minutes ago, Broithe said:

Put the kettle on before you click this...

Thanks lads. All clear now. @DJ Dangerous, your reply was lovely and concise, whereas  @Broithe yours was very informative. @jhb171achill is a mine of information isn't he? Thanks again to the both of you . So I now know my black and tans from my supertrains. Prob won't ever go down the IE or IR route. Hmmm, I still don't know what tippex is though. And don't start off with stationery products.🥴

• Like 3

1 minute ago, derek said:

Thanks lads. All clear now. @DJ Dangerous, your reply was lovely and concise, whereas  @Broithe yours was very informative. @jhb171achill is a mine of information isn't he? Thanks again to the both of you . So I now know my black and tans from my supertrains. Prob won't ever go down the IE or IR route. Hmmm, I still don't know what tippex is though. And don't start off with stationery products.🥴

"Tippex" livery is what you call both IR and IE when you're eyesight deteriorates to the point that you can't read the IR and IE logos.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, derek said:

Tippex just refers to the white stripe, so it’s a fairly easy spot! Post 1987 I think. Sorry - posted simultaneously with @WRENNEIRE!

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2

Yes, the “tippex” name refers to the last livery they carried, either with the “set of points” logo or the “three pin plug”.

Since the new entity Irish Rail hadn’t any money for a new livery when CIE was split up in 1987, the new admin traction just put white lines on the existing livery. Hence “tippex”.

All three of these nicknames (and many others) originated amongst workers in Inchicore Works.

When the 2600s were new, Connolly drivers christened them as the “Fanta Cans”; one suggested to me later when the navy blue, white and lime green livery appeared, that they were niw turning them into Lilt cans!

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 5
  • Informative 2
  • Funny 2

39 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

.When the 2600s were new, Connolly drivers christened them as the “Fanta Cans”; one suggested to me later when the navy blue, white and lime green livery appeared, that they were niw turning them into Lilt cans!

Ironically lilt and the last commuter liveried 29k both went extinct around the same time

I think Fanta cans compared to “cattle trucks” which is what Wikipedia said there nickname was, is slightly more humerus and I’ve actually heard people call it Fanta cans in the wild even 15 or so years after they last wore orange. Maybe one day there will be another Fanta can 

• Like 2

Just now, Westcorkrailway said:

Ironically lilt and the last commuter liveried 29k both went extinct around the same time

I think Fanta cans compared to “cattle trucks” which is what Wikipedia said there nickname was, is slightly more humerus and I’ve actually heard people call it Fanta cans in the wild even 15 or so years after they last wore orange. Maybe one day there will be another Fanta can 

Hopefully these things will be replaced by something more comfortable!

• Like 1

As far as I recall the 2600 Railcars were originally commonly know as Arrows because of the Arrow branding of the new Heuston-Kildare Commuter services and nicknamed Jarrows (Japanese Arrows) when the 2700 Sparrow (Spanish Arrow) railcars were introduced for GN Line outer suburban services. 

The Sparrows (Alstom) and their DART equivalent apparently had a lot of reliability issues, the Sparrows were replaced by the 2900 on Dublin suburban services, the Sparrows transferred to less demanding duties in Limerick and Alstom railcars and EMUs stored have been 'stored' for many years

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

16 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

‘Biscuit tins’ seems appropriate for 2[6-7]00 class DMUs. I suffered 7hrs on board one during a railtour once (cork-waterford) worst seats on rails, not suitable for intercity. Wont make that mistake, wont be going on a railtour again on any DMU, my back is still recovering. I thought the lilt livery was the nicest looking though. Bizarrely I commissioned a model some years ago in lilt livery but the supplier/builder vanished with my deposit. 

2 hours ago, ganderino said:

Any more info on the new 201’s on the way? I suppose there next on the agenda? Thanks

Alex

Last I was told in October by ‘a man’ was some 201s in IE livery reruns might be due Q1.25 and same for 071 re-runs in freight grey and NIR blue. That should put a stop stop the insane price gouging on eBay for Blue 111,112,113s. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Noel said:

‘Biscuit tins’ seems appropriate for 2[6-7]00 class DMUs. I suffered 7hrs on board one during a railtour once (cork-waterford) worst seats on rails, not suitable for intercity.

Really, Noel?

You obviously haven't travelled on an IET in the UK - not for nothing are the seats referred to as "Ironing Boards".

In fact we call the Trains that and avoid them like the plague.

Travelling into Paddington, I carefully seek out the semi-fasts operated with 387 EMUs which take a only slightly longer - being capable of and do achieve 110mph.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

Really, Noel?

You obviously haven't travelled on an IET in the UK - not for nothing are the seats referred to as "Ironing Boards".

In fact we call the Trains that and avoid them like the plague.

Travelling into Paddington, I carefully seek out the semi-fasts operated with 387 EMUs which take an only slightly longer - being capable of and do achieve 110mph.

My son is a daily commuter into London (and is a professional railwayman to boot). He has a choice of routes and opts for these whenever he can  above more modern offerings! 

IMG_1079.jpeg

• Like 1

Ah, the Turbostars?

He may get a loco and coaches in the future if the Railway Press is correct, as Chiltern Railways are looking at running the (Accurascale) Mark V coaches behind Class 68s. Good news for The Lads and Dapol, who do the Class 68.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, flange lubricator said:

Me thinks that this thread has departed for that distant but well travelled destination Tangent !

Time to get back on track?

There were other Tippex liveries...

MARKLIN 'HO' GAUGE 4105 DB 'TIPP-EX' SECOND CLASS PASSENGER COACH

• Funny 3

Just recieved some lovely Black n Tans thansk to all for such amazing models. Did i miss something regarding decoders? was there to be an announcement regarding dedicated decoders for the new 141/181's?

• Like 2