LIMA Murphy Models

Rate this topic

WRENNEIRE

• 1 month later...

Jouef made some Irish? outline models when they were based in Shannon

Because of sanctions imposed on French manufacturing Jouef established a base in Ireland

It was called Hobbies Developments Ireland and they were based in the IDA Estate in Shannon, Co Clare

They lasted for about 2 years and then went bang, models were expensive, non prototypical and fairly poor quality

However they have become collectable so muggins here decided to collect some.

0-4-0 Shunter, based on the SNCF Y1500

5a1d7c864f76f_Jouef(1).thumb.JPG.c11cc564119d6c170755d0c0c1587964.JPG

P1060177_zpsc53ac463.JPG.4ca2e4450ed7d94609846345c2305839.JPG

Edited by WRENNEIRE

To the best of my knowledge they were slightly dearer Fran

A lot went to the States, they were on sale in Shannon Airport and the immigents brung them back to the States as a souveneer from the auld sod

A lot of these sets turn up in France where the HDI brand is still very collectable

To the best of my knowledge they were slightly dearer Fran

A lot went to the States, they were on sale in Shannon Airport and the immigents brung them back to the States as a souveneer from the auld sod

A lot of these sets turn up in France where the HDI brand is still very collectable

Were European outline models made in Shannon too? Any idea if their Class 40s and/or their Mark IIIs where made there too?

The HDI range includes the 40 & several other European models including coaches

Cant put my hand on the catalogue at the moment

The Mk 3's were made here.

Interestingly they never had the HDI logo on the base, the factory closed before they had time to change it

Also the boxes were printed with Made in Ireland and also had stickers placed over the Made in France ones

So the top 2 box's have France blocked out with an Ireland sticker

The next one has a complete Made in Ireland sticker

And the last 2 are kosher Made in Ireland printed box's

Also look at the box gables and the darker ones are original Made in Ireland ones and the lighter are overlabelled French ones

Took me a couple of years to track them all down

Bet your sorry you asked now!

P1000802.JPG.bd45a9576267447774bfe2f72dccd30b.JPG

P1000810.JPG.6533d38bc165113b5c89df48feff3d22.JPG

Edited by WRENNEIRE

Jouef made some Irish...They lasted for about 2 years and then went bang, models were expensive, non prototypical and fairly poor quality

[/url]

Back in the late 70's I wanted an irish train set something wicked, but not the Jouef P.O.S. If Santa had left a Jouef set at the end of the bed, I'd have shot him on sight! They really look awful, but good to see they're getting some loving as a collectors item.

And then I got my Hornby irish freight set and all was well.

Back in the late 70's I wanted an irish train set something wicked, but not the Jouef P.O.S. If Santa had left a Jouef set at the end of the bed, I'd have shot him on sight! They really look awful, but good to see they're getting some loving as a collectors item.

And then I got my Hornby irish freight set and all was well.

I hear you. Whoever thought these yokes would somehow pass for Irish outline was definitely on illegal substances.

My 9 y/o former self would have turned his nose up at these atrocities...there's some things only a mother (or a collector) could love.

• 4 weeks later...

I was at the Bray Wheelers gig today

When Lima went from HO to OO their first production run in OO had Continental or HO style couplings

This period lasted for about 18 months and they replaced them with the now familiar OO style ones.

I saw a couple of BR outline sets with these couplings back in the day but I had never seen any Irish outline models with them fitted

These were shown to me today by Paul Johnston, BURNTHEBOX of this parish

They were picked up on EBAY Italy, so I would have no reason not to doubt their provenance

Cl 33 (A) and a Mk 1 coach

This pic shows the Standard OO coupligs on the bottom and continental on the top

P1060420_zpsb8375a13.thumb.JPG.62623ec0d7b8a8354061d8c5074e4072.JPG

Side profile of the continental coupling on the 00 gauge loco

P1060417_zps2ddcb128.JPG.b55e87d6ce037ae8828eb6cea5de0146.JPG

This shows the OO coach base on top and a HO coach on the bottom

P1060415_zps0badf1f4.JPG.a8fd07655baa744b2886303d59bb88af.JPG

Side profile of the Continental coupling on the OO coach

P1060412_zps216595a3.JPG.c39f628f336800fc1f36c71a1c76f4a1.JPG

I offered Paul the price of a small family saloon for these items but he refused my more than generous offer, the bastard!

I let the wind out of his wheelchair tyres and I have removed him from my Christmas card list:mad:

Edited by WRENNEIRE

Hornby's next set was their famous Slainte Express Set

Released in 1980

R383

DSCF0023.jpg

DSCF0020.jpg

P1050962_zps1e90c26c.jpg

Hi, noob here.

I have the Slainte set boxed with roundels both ends, and the Local goods set boxed, and the Lima 215 unboxed. I'm surprised to find they are collectible. What are they worth nowadays? (Not selling, just curious)

Abaddon

Very hard question to answer

The collecting end is hardest of all as different collectors require different things from their models

I have a couple of standards that I usually adhere to

Firstly if I do not have the item I will buy it, no matter what the condition

I will then try to get a boxed example in better condition

Eventually I will try to get a mint boxed example, with instructions, detail packs, limited edition cert if applicable etc

In the case of the Slainte set above I have since picked up a better boxed example, the instruction sheet that accompanies it should also have the Hornby Reference number on it, plus the date it was manufactured, very important to some collectors, others would not be so pedantic

So the value increases or decreases according to your taste

Condition is also very important, played with as opposed to mint boxed are at opposite ends of the equation

Some time back I was offered a Hornby O Gauge Princess Elizabeth, very collectable and highly sought after loco

The seller had seen one on the Antique Road Show

Paint work was faultless, the wooden box it came in had not even got a paint chip on it, satin lining was still shining

The valuer on the show put a price of £2000 on the loco, the Euro was €1.50 to the pound at the time

So me jills tells me he only wants €2000 for it, there would be a handy €1000 in it for me if I could sell it on

When I saw the loco I turned on my heels straight away and back to D5

No box, thing looked like it had been hit on every panel with a hammer, paint was chipped and loads of rust etc

He told me he eventually got €750 for it as even in its bad state there was still a chap out there who was willing to buy it

So if your items are boxed and not in too bad a condition I would say look after them, it would be impossible to put a value on them till I could see them and check them out

• 3 weeks later...
Found an mir price list from 2010. Missing the loco price list, you wouldn t have one to hand Mr Wrenneire :)

I have one here Tom, I scanned it and I am having difficulty loading the scan on to Photobucket

I have all the 2010 pricelists and will post them soon hopefully

Currently trying to reduce the file size, this should be interesting....:mad: