LIMA Murphy Models

Rate this topic

WRENNEIRE

I was clearing out some space for all the stuff I will be colecting from Glenderg on Monday and I found this catalogue, well actually 2 !

First is the Leinster Models catalogue from the mid 60's

Not a single Irish Outline model to be seen.

Note the 6 digit phone number

P1060547_zpse6720e63.JPG.1e5b80b43fed5e08cdb5b996076c8976.JPG

P1060548_zps283a4712.JPG.40f92839da022d9535e07e77a9c5852c.JPG

P1060567_zpsc5a84d69.thumb.JPG.ca0cc32fbed8e513bab30035bb6c01a6.JPG

P1060566_zpse5e02c40.thumb.JPG.dc0d1718d3266a8e354fa764c0b71596.JPG

P1060570_zps7e56fd71.thumb.JPG.94d84c48486fad0585232c281af8caee.JPG

Edited by WRENNEIRE

A later price sheet, The address has moved from Monck Place to Peters Road, Phibsboro

This would have been after the shop had closed and the brothers were selling from Peter McGowans home in Phibsboro

Peter had a fine workshop in his back garden and all these kits were produced there

Priced in Stg & Euro so early 99/2000 perhaps

P1060574_zps58011f19.thumb.JPG.6945cd51207bf053db6ffa95d2abdb60.JPG

P1060576_zpsaf27443b.thumb.JPG.04e8ce359f52dea729cac6217041caa3.JPG

Edited by WRENNEIRE

Love the Leinster Models stuff Dave. I heard their kits were a bit crude and a nightmare to build. Am I right in saying he did some Irish O gauge kits too? You'd miss Monck Place really, it sounds like a real old school model shop. When did the McGowans finish up all together?

I'm pretty sure they produced an 800 class kit in 7mm scale. Given the work they undertook for the Fry Model Railway, I wouldn't be surprised if they produced 7mm scale kits for some of the diesels, but I can't be certain.

Years ago I saw a 7mm scale Cork, Blackrock & Passage Railway 2-4-2T that they were commissioned to build, and it looked rather good.

A lot of the Fry work was one off, they would receive the model and then set about building one to run on the layout, the Fry example

being returned to the display area before you entered the layout area

The 800 is stirring something in my grey head, they also did some coaches but again I am not sure what they were

Should have more info after the MRSI meet this evening

Anyone remember these?

Cant remember where they came from.

P1060506_zpsbdf9ab70.jpg

P1060505_zps2609dfa8.jpg

Probably printed for publicity purposes, weird the way they included the oil lamps and not the electric headlights!

IE were handing out fold-up cardboard 201s as promotional items a good few years ago, have 2 of them somewhere.

They were (roughly) 00 scale.

Fran

I am a collector not a historian:D

However I know a man who worked with the Mc Gowans and I will buy him a pint and see what happens

I know they did a couple of Irish loco kits, but what they were eludes me at the moment

I would've thought that some of their produce would be part of your collection!

Nice one Dave, I'd say their story was an interesting one between running a model shop and producing kits. Different era and all that. We've come a long way but there's a nostalgia about the past. I suppose I'm curious as I have very vague memories of being in Monck Place as a nipper and still have the Hornby Duchess as proof of the visit!

The UK outline would not be of interest to me Fran, I think collecting Wrenn for 20 years or so has extinguished that flame

I have been trying to source any unmade Irish kits made by the Brothers Grimm but so far it has proved impossible

The MRSI actually held their meetings there back in the day, there are some stories about the POLIS being called there in the early hours of the morning, some passer by had rung to say that there was an IRA meeting being held there!

Minister, just for you, in all her cardboard glory.

P1060509_zpsc82c5d6b.JPG.15c89070448be37e92caa52db38c0981.JPG

P1060505_zps2609dfa8.JPG.325be85cc985501d6b5dac30a5d340b5.JPG

Edited by WRENNEIRE

I'm pretty sure they produced an 800 class kit in 7mm scale. Given the work they undertook for the Fry Model Railway, I wouldn't be surprised if they produced 7mm scale kits for some of the diesels, but I can't be certain.

Years ago I saw a 7mm scale Cork, Blackrock & Passage Railway 2-4-2T that they were commissioned to build, and it looked rather good.

You were right about the 800 Pat, they did a Maedhbh kit and also a BAT tank, The coaches were 57' LMS Staniers

Love the Leinster Models stuff Dave. I heard their kits were a bit crude and a nightmare to build. Am I right in saying he did some Irish O gauge kits too? You'd miss Monck Place really, it sounds like a real old school model shop. When did the McGowans finish up all together?

The shop opened in 1954 and closed in 1995 when Peters wife sadly passed away. The funeral was on Christmas Eve and the brothers

did not open the shop after this.

The shop opened in 1954 and closed in 1995 when Peters wife sadly passed away. The funeral was on Christmas Eve and the brothers

did not open the shop after this.

Cheers Dave.

Now, has anyone come across a built up 800 and got a pic of one? That'd make a real nice loco in O gauge!

Cheers Dave.

Now, has anyone come across a built up 800 and got a pic of one? That'd make a real nice loco in O gauge!

There's a photo of a 7mm scale model of 800 in 'Modelling Irish Railways' by Stephen Johnson and Alan O'Rourke, which I think may have been built from the Leinster Models kit. It was also painted using a supply of genuine GSR green obtained from Inchicore in the days of yore!

There's a photo of a 7mm scale model of 800 in 'Modelling Irish Railways' by Stephen Johnson and Alan O'Rourke, which I think may have been built from the Leinster Models kit. It was also painted using a supply of genuine GSR green obtained from Inchicore in the days of yore!

Must dig my copy out and have a gander. cheers man!

What era was that blue w green stripe livery from?:confused:

That was only used on the ex Gatwick Mk2F coaches. It was never on the Mk2B/Cs while they were used on the Enterprise before being replaced by the DD stock. The Mk2Fs entered service in 2001 and were mainly used on commuter runs between Newry and Belfast. From time to time they filled in for Enterprise failures.

• 4 weeks later...