LIMA Murphy Models

Rate this topic

WRENNEIRE

Yep, I have a metal A class (lovely looking front on it when compared with the SF)

I get the impression from some recent comments on the forum that the SF A class is not held in the highest esteem. Is that because MM raised the bar so high in the intervening years? Was it well regarded in the past before the quality standards and expectations were raised? I must say having inspected a few A and C class SFs at MRSI, to my uneducated eyes they seemed not bad for low production models, the only thing I was concerned about were the basic chassis and old style drive system (i.e. not all wheel pickup, nor all wheel drive, only one power bogie, etc). But looking at layout photos on this site SF A/C classes had clearly been popular. Some of the weathered SF A classes photographed on some threads look great.

I get the impression from some recent comments on the forum that the SF A class is not held in the highest esteem. Is that because MM raised the bar so high in the intervening years? Was it well regarded in the past before the quality standards and expectations were raised?

The silverfox version looks like someone hit the cab a belt of a shovel, it's not even remotely close to the profile of the cab and drawings and the prototype in the shape of the a class are available to measure. Nothing to do with chassis, pickup or any of that. It just doesn't look like an A class. And it's not cheap either.

Bogies are very poor representations of the prototype. I don't think it was ever held in high esteem, it all comes down to what an individual thinks and if he feels, ah it looks like one. SSM do some fine etches to at least make it be able go outside without a bag over it's head. Comparing it to a MM GM is like comparing a Trabant to a Ferrari.

Rich,

Bogies are very poor representations of the prototype. I don't think it was ever held in high esteem, it all comes down to what an individual thinks and if he feels, ah it looks like one. SSM do some fine etches to at least make it be able go outside without a bag over it's head. Comparing it to a MM GM is like comparing a Trabant to a Ferrari.

Rich,

=)) comedy gold rich!

The silverfox version looks like someone hit the cab a belt of a shovel, it's not even remotely close to the profile of the cab and drawings and the prototype in the shape of the a class are available to measure. Nothing to do with chassis, pickup or any of that. It just doesn't look like an A class. And it's not cheap either.

LOL - Did you mean this B class, or the A class? This does indeed look like it got a 'belt of a shovel' in the face.

B class

Sulzer-orange-black-Edit.jpg

A class

001class_black_orange_rebuilt.jpg

Little off topic I know but interesting none the less

On page 47 I showed a very rare Jouef HDI Freight Set

I am sitting at home this afternoon when another anal collector rings me

Have a look at this, says he

Jasus, Says I, were in trouble skipper!

Its a Freight set, with the same reference number as the Irish one

Jouef LYRA, made in Greece

LYRA were a Greek toy manufacturing company and its very hard to find out anything about them cause its all in greek!

So here it is

_121_zps86198f83.JPG.75c2511b04c7e6c2e70f2d152667e3f1.JPG_12_zpsa14dd72c.JPG.08823575340687ba755784b2a0638b07.JPG

Edited by WRENNEIRE

Saw this on the corner of one of the Q Kit Box's

Brought a smile ! :)

P1070012_zpsb48dd3e6.jpg

Q Kits brought out their A Class in a brass & White Metal kit in a new style box

The labelled and unlabelled versions here:

P1070182_zps90325b0c.jpg

Contents & Instructions

P1070185_zps77a065c3.jpg

Dave

Did you ever come across the all whitemetal version of the A Class?

I built one from a kit suppled by MIR about 20 years ago a very trying experience. The roof & bogie sidefame castings very similar or the same as your loco. The end casting were not quite symmetrical giving the impression the loco was trying to wink.

Hens teeth Robie

MIR are no longer manufactured and its just a few sad bastards like myself that collect un-made kits that would have them

There are a few small manufacturers out there making small runs of them and they turn up from time to time on eBay

Check out Studio Scale Models, Irish Freight Models , D&M Models and all the other guys in the manufacturing thread on this forum

• 2 weeks later...