Murphy Models 071 - New, detailed pre-production photos added!

Rate this topic

Admin

The models look the part still have to get mine yet , just reading some of the messages about details on 112 was looking at a few of my photos of 112 taken in the past couple of months and just spotted that 112 has two different sized horns on the cab end mybe Irish Rail replaced one from a bo bo while it was on loan to them.

Dont think i am looking for faults on the models because i am not they are fantastic cant wait to get mine just thought i would let anyone that likes the wee detail bits to know that lol

Gordon

It's a magnificent Model Gordon. The model is based on the time it was loaned out to IE some years ago and any changes made since it returned to NIR would have to be made by the modeller. It's nice to see though that people are expecting more for their money these days regarding the quality of new models and it puts that rivet counter handle back in the ground.

Rich,

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got all my beets from www.irishfreightmodels.com :-) Excellent wagons!

They look great!

How are the loads done?

I've a couple of them too. The wagon bodies themselves are resin castings, and I've just had a good close look at the loads themselves, and they appear to be cast integral to the wagon bodies. I spoke to Tom at Irish Freight Models about the seeds that he used to create the master.... He can't remember(!)

Sorry for jumping in.

-Rob

ps Once the Shapeways team are back up and running*, I might have a look at getting some of theirs - Not that there is anything at all wrong with Tom's, far from it! I've just a got a taste for building my own wagons at the moment :)

*Hurricane Sandy took them down for a while...

Edited by Robert Davies
Another think....

Interesting, I've a rake of the shapeways vintage, key difference being they are empty / unloaded, so might be nice to have a mix :)

Stephen the next time you are in a garden center or Woodies get some turnip seeds and try them out as beet loads. You can make a false floor just below the capping on the top of the models. Seal them in with some matt varnish or cheap hairspray.

Rich,

I got my lone 071 class on Saturday, already she's gone to stable in the wife's cabinet, there she will stay for a while, spending more time looking at the loco than at the TV! A big thanks to the staff at trains planes and toys who supplied the loco at 159.99, and I even got my 1 cent change! As I operate on a very restricted (almost non existent) budget, would anyone have suggestions for a relatively cheap rake of rtr wagons to run with the O71 when she finally gets onto the layout.

071.jpg

071.jpg

The UK dealers have just started sending out their allocation of 071/082/112s.

My 112 arrived this morning. Popped a Lokpilot v4 in it, did a bit of head scratching in/with DecoderPro, and finally got the red lights and main beams working under separate functions, and the cab lights turned down to a more reasonable level.

The DCC lights on this 071/111 really are the best I've come across for a Irish/British Isles loco :)

-Rob

The UK dealers have just started sending out their allocation of 071/082/112s.

My 112 arrived this morning. Popped a Lokpilot v4 in it, did a bit of head scratching in/with DecoderPro, and finally got the red lights and main beams working under separate functions, and the cab lights turned down to a more reasonable level.

The DCC lights on this 071/111 really are the best I've come across for a Irish/British Isles loco :)

-Rob

Maybe you could let us know what CV settings you used on the lights

Maybe you could let us know what CV settings you used on the lights

Short answer = I don't know!

Longer answer = I used Decoder Pro, part of JMRI to do the legwork.

Explanation = It's a Lokpilot V4, which uses indexed CVs. Which means you end up writing CVs here there and everywhere to change just one lighting effect. If it was an older V3.5 it would just be a case of reading off a few CVs, copying them down here and that would be it - NOT with the V4... oh no...

However, I mapped:

aux1 -> F1 (red lights)

aux2 -> F2 (main beam)

aux3 -> F3 (No. 1 cab lights)

aux4 -> F4 (No. 2 cab lights)

The actual wiring of the lighting board is quite clever in that it will only allow the red lights and main beams to switch on when the marker lights on F0 are switched on. Further, it won't let you switch on main beams to point backwards, and it won't let you switch the reds to point forwards.

-Rob

ps I'll go and download the Lokpilot V4 manual and see if I can get the CV values to program the above in the old coal fired way. I just got spoiled running a PowerCab with a USB interface into JMRI and Decoder Pro :D

In relation to the second and third batches of the 071 classes, I was aware, that with the first batch (number 071 class leader herself being the example) there was some switching about with planned releases and in what liveries.

As we all know it was released in the black and silver freight livery but I had heard it was originally due to be released in the Supertrain livery. Then Supertrain livery had been switched to 088 release.

Does anyone know if 088 is coming out (if at all) in Supertrain or is it just 086?

I think with the numbers and liveries being switched, some of the online shops have their stocks and pre-orders confused and it is hard to tell! The reason I ask is because in one store the 086 is being quoted as being released in 'CIE Original Livery'.

Based on what I can tell:

077 is due out before xmas in large IE logo livery

085 is due out before xmas in weathered IE logo livery

There is a third one due out but I'm not definite which one, could it be 088?

Then:

073 is due out Jan/Feb in weathered IR livery

078 is due out Jan/Feb in small IE logo livery

080 is due out Jan/Feb in IR livery

086 is due out Jan/Feb in Supertrain livery (?)

Maybe someone more in the know can correct me here?

Good questions :)

AFAIK, Mr. Soundguy distributes through ModelShopBelfast, who are awaiting stocks from zimo

Which hasn't been helped by Zimo giving the UK distribution rights to RailExclusive.

Stepping aside briefly, that's the first MrSoundguy 071 video that I've seen on youtube that hasn't been one of ModelShopBelfast's.

It does sound well :)

-Rob

That vid raises a few questions....

How did he get a hold of the sound/chip? How do you get a hold of MrSoundGuy? http://mrsoundguy.co.uk/ has been 'call back soon' for months.

I've been talking with RetroHerbie for a wee while now, and there appears to be a supply issue regarding the Zimo chips for their project.

-Rob

I think it's the 201 chip in a class 111

Just to clarify. The decoder in the video is the 'almost' finished sample from Mr SoundGuy and modelshopbelfast.com we've still a few sounds to add to complete the decoders but were reckon everyone will love the results.

The decoder is an upgraded version of the decoder we have been selling for the last 12 months that was originally for MIR models, as you can see in the video it has been updated to work all light functions internal and external as well as being tuned for optimum running with Murphy models locos. There are quite a number on here who have already seen the loco demo instore and we had 112 with sound running on Old Blarney at Cultra last weekend.

For the avoidance of any confusion the decoder in the clip is for a Murphys 071 loco but is nothing to do with Murphy models, it is a joint venture between Mr Soundguy and modelshopbelfast.com only.

If all goes to plan the 071/111 decoders should be ready for release next week. There are already a large amount of preorders, these will be supplied first.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

I have to say Gareth that is the best sound recording I have heard yet. There is plenty of low end sound which never seems to be as audible in other videos that I have seen or heard. Infact in the video it sounds better than some I have heard at exhibitions. It is swaying me more towards having at least a couple of sound fitted locos myself.

Top class, I wish you all the best with it.

Rich,