Murphy Models 071 - New, detailed pre-production photos added!

Rate this topic

Admin

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you mean? Did it not work at all or did certain functions not work?

Nothing worked for me with the 3 function Bachman chip.I tryed a chip

In 112 and 082 and nothing,now I hope that perhaps I am doing

something a@@e ways but I put in MM 201 and it worked first go.

I brought 082 down to Wexford show and Gerry Byrne stuck in a 071

sound chip and that is working fine bar some adjustment for the

headlight.As with the 201s you will need the MM 071 chip.

I would love to hear anyone's experience with decoders for

The locos.

The Bachmann chip only works the side lights on and off (F0), #1 end cab light(F2), and the rear lights on and off (F1). The main head light's don't work with the Bachmann decoder along with the #2 end cab light. Has any one tried a Lenz silver in the loco.

Have you tried the TCS 21 pin decoder?

Picked up #071 on Sat, ran it in on a temp layout on DC and just put a Bachmann 36-554 (3 func decoder) into it now. As expected not everything works but F0 does the white marker lights, F1 red marker lights and strangely F2 does Cab 2 light so no headlight control and no cab 1 light.

Nothing worked for me with the 3 function Bachman chip.I tryed a chip

In 112 and 082 and nothing,now I hope that perhaps I am doing

something a@@e ways but I put in MM 201 and it worked first go.

I brought 082 down to Wexford show and Gerry Byrne stuck in a 071

sound chip and that is working fine bar some adjustment for the

headlight.As with the 201s you will need the MM 071 chip.

I would love to hear anyone's experience with decoders for

The locos.

Great photos there Eamonn and Fran,

I picked up my three today-(Thanks Seamus),they have MM chips fitted,everything except the headlights worked fine,when I pressed F2 to operate the headlight on all three locos on both ends the lights wouldn't stay on....

Edited by ttc0169

I don't know exactly but from this weekend it seems the sales of the 071s were very good which is encouraging. I see on Mark's Models site that 071 and 082 are sold out. I know that there are more 112s than the others due to what arrived in the country for the launch.

I got 071 at the show and the others should be here in a day or so. They are great models and very good value being cheaper than the latest batch of 201s. Hopefully when they are all released the 071s will secure the future of the 121s.

Great photos there Eamonn and Fran,

I picked up my three today-(Thanks Seamus),they have MM chips fitted,everything except the headlights worked fine,when I pressed F2 to operate the headlight on all three locos on both ends the lights wouldn't stay on....

This problem happened on the 201 chip Noel with the

prodigy as f2 is a latching button hence why headlights won't

Stay on.I will find out what has to be done as Gerry sorted out

my 201 chip.

Why are'nt the headlights on F0? That's the standard default for headlights on all decoders...

Not strictly accurate - the standard default for most function F0 is 'lights' - which for our purposes means the forward and reverse marker lights - being as Irish locos have separate headlights, they needed to be put on another couple of functions so that they could be independently switched on or off in the direction of travel.

-Rob

Not strictly accurate - the standard default for most function F0 is 'lights' - which for our purposes means the forward and reverse marker lights - being as Irish locos have separate headlights, they needed to be put on another couple of functions so that they could be independently switched on or off in the direction of travel.

-Rob

So are the headlights and front and back marker lights all controlled independently of each other?

I picked up 112 and 071 myself. I am extremely pleased with them. when put buffer to buffer with a baby GM the height difference is spot on with the 071 sitting slightly higher on it's chassis. The paint finish is the best I have seen on a rtr model, they run like a dream. I also like that the various roof antennas, horns , vacuum pipes are factory fitted. It's not that I don't like fitting them myself, I just think it's a nice touch. Sometimes a model shines in one area and gets left down in another, this model is great in all the critical areas with maybe the bogies being a little 2 dimensional. How ever the babies were the same in that department The buffers look more like the 141 buffers but it doesn't bother me that much. I have always thought that the babies were among if not the best looking 00 models I have seen and these new models can take their place alongside them. No model is ever perfect, but this looks like an 071 - 111 from all angles and is worthy of all the praise it has and will receive. It sadly won't win any awards in the UK based polls simply because of the size of the market for Irish models. But if there were awards given by impartial magazine reviewers it would be hard not to give it a best 00 loco award. I've just put a few Cravens behind 112 for a look and the scene looks right.

Rich,

-Rob

Correct:-bd

A lot of the front cables and detail are missing of the 112 model. I've counted 4 on the real one that are not on the model.

The one that really stands out is the lack of the push/pull jumper cable and socket under the buffer on the drivers side. Still, it's only a small thing. The thing that keeps putting me off 112 are the white window wipers, they stand out like a sore thumb to me.

Guest hidden-agenda
The one that really stands out is the lack of the push/pull jumper cable and socket under the buffer on the drivers side. Still, it's only a small thing. The thing that keeps putting me off 112 are the white window wipers, they stand out like a sore thumb to me.

http://website.lineone.net/~sjohnson40/Loco%20Profiles/NIR111.html You could always paint them black.

A lot of the front cables and detail are missing of the 112 model. I've counted 4 on the real one that are not on the model.

I had been anticipating this in advance and luckily I had some spares still left over from other projects. The white metal one is a Craftsman model and is showing it's age next to the Hornby versions. I will use fuse wire on the Hornby ones if I use them to get the correct length of the cables. My Bachmann versions ( but I'll have to dig them out later ) are excellent but the receptacles aren't painted orange as they are spares from the original class 37 releases. I believe they are available now, painted but I think the Hornby ones have the edge on them. I like the fact that 112 is also fitted with the Sinclair antennas as well as the standard ones. The cabfront details are available from a US after sales detail company but I'll have to have a look later.

From what I've seen in photos from the pre production models all the roof fans are painted black. I remember seeing an orange IE 071 from the footbridge in Bray many years ago and the fan grilles were painted orange as it wasn't to long in traffic after overhaul. With a little work and the correct accessories 112 can become even more stunning than it is.

Rich,

Picture 198.jpg

Picture 198.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3291[/ATTACH]

I had been anticipating this in advance and luckily I had some spares still left over from other projects. The white metal one is a Craftsman model and is showing it's age next to the Hornby versions. I will use fuse wire on the Hornby ones if I use them to get the correct length of the cables. My Bachmann versions ( but I'll have to dig them out later ) are excellent but the receptacles aren't painted orange as they are spares from the original class 37 releases. I believe they are available now, painted but I think the Hornby ones have the edge on them. I like the fact that 112 is also fitted with the Sinclair antennas as well as the standard ones. The cabfront details are available from a US after sales detail company but I'll have to have a look later.

From what I've seen in photos from the pre production models all the roof fans are painted black. I remember seeing an orange IE 071 from the footbridge in Bray many years ago and the fan grilles were painted orange as it wasn't to long in traffic after overhaul. With a little work and the correct accessories 112 can become even more stunning than it is.

Rich,

It's just a little disappointing that such an important pice has been left off 112. I used some left over Vitrains spares I had. I'm not to worried about the proper length of the cable just the fact it was forgot about is disappointing. I feel sorry for those who don't have these items lying around and have to go buy them if they want 112 to look correct as it one of the first things that you notice about the NIR 111's compared to the 071's

Rich, do you recall which loco those Hornby cables are supposed to go on?

Class 50 Rob. I got them years ago. The class 37 ones from Bachmann have the larger receptacle on the outside like 112. The Hornby ones have the larger receptacle on the inside but I will be using fuse wire to replicate the cable so it can be fitted the correct way then.

I have some other pieces that can be used belonging to an old Lima class 67 also. The most important and most critical areas of any model are in the dimensions and livery, because if they are wrong then that's an area that can't be corrected easily if at all. I can understand the items being missing from the models as it would be more expensive to model the details on a single loco. I haven't heard if there are any further plans to release 111 or 113. The 201's for example have differences within the class around the front skirts that weren't modelled correctly on some of the models. The non flushed glazing was a big let down too and some people were annoyed by that fact, where as some people weren't Detail differences on the prototype usually happen during over haul. The model of 203 is correct for only a very short period in it's as released form. Before it was last painted into the newer IE livery it had the body side air intake grilles painted in undercoat as well as the front footstep cover blanks.

Having said all that it would have been nice to see the parts supplied as add on details but it didn't happen. If you look at the US market the cottage industry and detail parts market is huge because of the differences between locos or other rolling stock in the same class that get changed during overhaul. The UK scene has a good cottage industry also. SSM are supplying some good detail parts in their range now so who knows if Des hasn't seen an opportunity to add the 112 details to his to do list.

Rich,

It's just a little disappointing that such an important pice has been left off 112. I used some left over Vitrains spares I had. I'm not to worried about the proper length of the cable just the fact it was forgot about is disappointing. I feel sorry for those who don't have these items lying around and have to go buy them if they want 112 to look correct as it one of the first things that you notice about the NIR 111's compared to the 071's

I understand fully what you are saying Anthony and I agree. Having said that it is why there is a cottage industry out there and luckily the parts needed for 112 wouldn't be expensive as some could be shaped from plasticard.

Rich,

The models look the part still have to get mine yet , just reading some of the messages about details on 112 was looking at a few of my photos of 112 taken in the past couple of months and just spotted that 112 has two different sized horns on the cab end mybe Irish Rail replaced one from a bo bo while it was on loan to them.

Dont think i am looking for faults on the models because i am not they are fantastic cant wait to get mine just thought i would let anyone that likes the wee detail bits to know that lol

Gordon