J M Design overlays for Dapol coaches

Rate this topic

Mayner

I am trying to establish if there is sufficient interest to add further coach sides to the Buffet & Corridor Second released last year.

The illustrations are in green because I was too lazy to draw them in black & tan

Open Second Outline.jpg

Originally built 1953 classified as 3rds built to run as railcar trailers 1356-1371 were the first of CIEs family of 64 seat standard open coaches.

These coaches were also very close in outline to 1497-1503 some of the last traditional coaches built at Inchacore in the early 1960s.

Brake Standard Outline.jpg

Originally classified as 3rds and introduced in 1953 some of these coaches were converted to driving trailers for use with the AEC railcars on the Westland Row-Galway & Westport "Cu na Mara" express service.

One of these coaches was later fitted with storage heaters for use on the Ballina Branch

1908TL.jpg

These coaches seem to have originally been introduced with guards look outs, some of which were later plated over, separate frets would be required for coaches with or without lookouts.

One of the coaches on the Loughrea Branch not sure of the identity of the photographer

BSGSV Outline.jpg

Almost modern image introduced in 1978 Brake Steam Generator Van converted from 1953 Side Corridor Coach

This fret will be a tad more expensive than the ordinary coaches and a bit more involved to build as the van doors will have be engraved on a separate section of the fret to the sides.

I am looking at expressions of interest for a minimum run of 6 of any one type.

Edited by Mayner

The overlays are etched brass and designed to fit the Dapol Stanier 60' side corridor coaches more details are on the JM Design Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/jmdesignmodelrailways

Kieran did a thread on his Workbench on building a rake of "Bredins" with these sides http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/78-Kirley-s-Projects/page64.

If there is sufficient interest I will look at doing a set of etched parts to complete a scale length model of these coaches on a similar principal to the tin van kits. A common underframe and ends fret could be shared between several types of coach, with separate roof fret or moulding

SSM or Comet may be able to supply suitable castings which would reduce tooling costs and speed up introduction.

The overlays are $32Nz+$10 postage approx ₤16 postage + $5

If there is sufficient interest I will look at doing a set of etched parts to complete a scale length model of these coaches on a similar principal to the tin van kits. A common underframe and ends fret could be shared between several types of coach, with separate roof fret or moulding

The overlays are $32Nz+$10 postage approx ₤16 postage + $5

Yes please!

Indeed they did, Nelson, on the "Enterprise". I have a colour slide somewhere of the CIE set about 1963, consisting of a brand newv 141 - straight out of the box and not even weathered yet - hauling a train of mixed laminates and ex-GNR stock, mostly still green but one or two in black'n'tan.

There would have been a few green coaches still about until maybe 1965 / 6. Obviously, like any livery change, it was gradual, though CIE tended to look after coaches very well and therefore they were all repainted every 2-3 years.

superb work john. I have a client who wants to emulate the early eighties in Connolly and I think this is the way to go. Will pm you if its a runner, which it should be. :-) R..

Edit - it'll be a mixed rake with park royals and wooden bodied stock, so I reckon 4 would be the potential order.

SSM or Comet may be able to supply suitable castings which would reduce tooling costs and speed up introduction.

John,

This could be a runner. I've some preliminary work done on this. Will email you on this :)

There seems to be enough interest to go ahead with sides for the 3 types of coach.

The BGSV has fired up a lot of interest, has anyone a photo or sketch of the generator/boiler roof hatches and exhaust detail?

What is the general feeling around a complete coach kit on a similar principal to my Tin Vans or the SSM Bredins Vs plastic surgery and overlays to the Dapol body shells?

The coaches could be designed to run on Bachmann or Hornby rtr LMS bogies similar to the GSR type with brass fold up bogies as an option for 21mm gauge.

Mayner and others touched on train makeup with stock like this. One day about 1983 I observed the comings and goings all evening in Dundalk. Most trains were 5-6 bogies plus van, either one of the several variations of 3223-style brake gennies, a Dutch van or a BR van. In no train were more than two coaches the same, and in several no two were alike. Cravens, park royals and laminates of several designs were all present. A few years earlier, there would have been the odd Bredin too.

Nowadays, if a strange vehicle was anywhere near one of today's depressingly same uniform identikit trams, there would be proving runs, Europe-wide paperwork, "certification", tests, studies and enquiries. Consultants would be engaged, at eye-watering cost to the taxpayer, while safety cases were tendered, researched, drawn up, verified, and - most bizarrely of all - "signed off on".

Who dreams up this inane drivel? Why do we, after nine million years evolution, reduce ourselves to accepting this rubbish!

Rant over. To modellers: mix and match pre 1990 - always. In wooden stock days, you'd struggle to get two coaches exactly the same on any rural route at all, let alone the same train; with freight stock, same.

John,

I may be in a minority here but I would prefer the "scale" option i.e. full length/depth sides plus ends.

My reasoning may be of interest to you and others.

I have spent most of my life repainting British rolling stock plus cut-and-shuts of varying degrees of complexity; some even are quite close approximations of actual Irish stock!

However, in more recent years, I've built a number of Worsley Works coaches and I'm currently working on some Irish Freight Models Park Royal kits.

The contrast between the "high, wide and handsome" look of Irish coaches, built to correct scale and the rather undersize British conversions is now bothering me (although, whisper it, I'm still working to 16.5mm!).

Therefore, while the Dapol option is most certainly convenient, I would prefer to do battle with a proper sized model, a la Worsley Works.

Many thanks,

Glover

• 1 month later...

Hi Andy

There seems to enough interest to go ahead with both the overlays for the Dapol coaches and a scale length/width coach.

I am planning to release side overlays for the Second Open, Brake Second Open and BGSV in September/October. The coach likely to be sometime in 2016 once I have released the MGWR 2-4-0 & CIE 4w container wagons.

Luckily its the middle of winter here and I have more time to catch up on my work backlog

There seems to be a reasonable level of interest in a set of parts for a scale width/length coach

• 2 weeks later...

The drawings for the Standard Open, Brake Standard Open and Brake Standard Generating Steam Van are ready for the engravers should have the etches for the SO & BSO should be available from August.

The BSGSV may take a little longer as the overlays are a bit more involved and may require revision before I release the fret.

1356-71 Open Second outlline.jpg

1904-8 Brake Standard Outline.jpg

BSGSV Outline.jpg