OO works announce GNRI U Class

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

A review of the engine will appear in next months model rail, it will be interesting to see how theirs run.

A problem with 'running' feedback in reviews is nearly every video I've ever seen only shows locos moving at speed, or if they show what they claim is slow, is actually nearer a scale speed of 30mph! Few dare to show how smooth loco chassis are at prototypical scale speeds starting, stopping, shunting, running over point work. Any chassis can look good at 50+ scale mph, show me chassis starting off with slow scale like acceleration, or braking very gradually to smooth stop without jerking or stalling. The bottom line is a model needs to both look fine scale and move at fine scale speeds.

It is a shame when some stunning looking models mechanical movement doesn't live up to their physical appearance.

Magazines like Model Rail do very thorough running reviews at all speeds under varying loads. The performance is always explained in their written reviews for everyone to read. If they showed such performance on their online advertising videos then it would be giving customers another reason not to buy the magazine as they could see the review for free, rather than buying the magazine. Model Rail has even gone into detail on the building of their test layout with gradients, curves etc shown and explained to replicate typical operating conditions customers will put the locos through.

The Decoder used by my expert fitter is the TCS KAM4P, eight pin decoder. I have included a link to the supplier's page -

http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/locomotive-decoders/standard-oo-ho/kam4p-mh-decoder-4-function.aspx

Excellent service from them, far super

ior to that from DCC Supplies who I no longer use.

David thanks for that lead - with MY track, it sounds like the answer to a Maiden's Prayer?

Alas, Noel, I have more than a few superbly hand-built locos but which simply don't run so well. Much surgery on-going! But this Stay-alive thing sounds just the job. Your point about really slow running is well made - with DCC and a slow acceleration / deceleration rate set - you should see how the engine runs at properly slow speeds - if it doesn't hit a bit of dirty track and stall!

Hmm, it seems I've got another £500 to find to fit my locos properly!

Leslie

Oh the cost - EXPENSIVE - however the locomotive runs now that this decoder is installed in it.

David,

Thanks for that lead - with MY track, it sounds like the answer to a Maiden's Prayer?

Alas, Noel, I have more than a few superbly hand-built locos but which simply don't run so well. Much surgery on-going! But this Stay-alive thing sounds just the job. Your point about really slow running is well made - with DCC and a slow acceleration / deceleration rate set - you should see how the engine runs at properly slow speeds - if it doesn't hit a bit of dirty track and stall!

Hmm, it seems I've got another £500 to find to fit my locos properly!

Leslie

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Received my 2nd batch OO works (U) class 4-4-0 yesterday. It does look very, very nice - lining, rivet detail and overall impression really captures the look of these locos. Not run it yet before anyone asks, but as my layout is just baseboards at present, that might well be a while....

For those who want to upgrade from the printed nameplates, 247 developments can help with the 'Down' etched plates:

http://www.247developments.co.uk/Irish.html

I'm planning to see if Narrow planet can assist with the beyer peacock plates:

https://narrowplanet.myshopify.com/collections/custom-etched-products/products/npp-219

Even with the right year! If that works, I'll be in touch.

Cheers for now.

Richard.

Quite;"Alas, Noel, I have more than a few superbly hand-built locos but which simply don't run so well."

Leslie

If the loco don't run well initially on analogue DC , it will not run well on DCC either . Stay alive for 4-4-0 will work well but if there is extra pick ups from all wheels the loco should be a fine slow runner after running it in .

Edited by Joe Keegan

Having just returned from, The Dundee Model Railway Club Exhibition, held over the past two days, I ran my GNR(I)U Class from OO Works there without it misbehaving. As per my previous postings, many alterations were required to my U Class to ensure it ran in an acceptable manner. Whilst I would like to have a second model of this locomotive, I am somewhat loathed to commit to the purchase of a second one, because of my previous unfortunate experiences.

Here's a really quick video showing the U class running, my example was perfect straight out of the box and ran no problem. All the footage is raw un edited stuff, so no slow mo involved haha. Will do a proper running video and review sometime this week, just wanted to make this video to address any concerns anyone had about the engine and its running. Would have done a proper vid but coursework needs done first. Sorry about the lighting and quality.

[video=youtube_share;3vCLI72l8-M]

• Like 1

Here's a really quick video showing the U class running, my example was perfect straight out of the box and ran no problem. All the footage is raw un edited stuff, so no slow mo involved haha. Will do a proper running video and review sometime this week, just wanted to make this video to address any concerns anyone had about the engine and its running. Would have done a proper vid but coursework needs done first. Sorry about the lighting and quality.

[video=youtube_share;3vCLI72l8-M]

Nice job, Nelson. Thanks for that. Looking forward to mine now

• 2 weeks later...
On the Products page, but it's academic anyway, as they are no longer taking orders for it. Must mean that their projected batch has sold out. If ye've missed it....ye've missed it!

Ivan and others

The reason MAY be that they are having difficulties getting motors? That's the reason they have stated for the non-appearance of the Class UG. Fingers crossed that it's just a blip.

I've asked them and will convey any response.

Leslie

....The reason MAY be that they are having difficulties getting motors? That's the reason they have stated for the non-appearance of the Class UG.

The motors shown on their website production process page resemble Mashimas. If Mashimas are what OO Works have been using until now, then that may explain the difficulty because Mr. Mashima, the manufacturer, announced a while ago that he was retiring from the business (having already threatened this once or twice in the past), so motor production would end.

I'm not sure what motor would be a direct replacement for a Mashima, though it could well be a Chinese-made one.

The motors shown on their website production process page resemble Mashimas. If Mashimas are what OO Works have been using until now, then that may explain the difficulty because Mr. Mashima, the manufacturer, announced a while ago that he was retiring from the business (having already threatened this once or twice in the past), so motor production would end.

I'm not sure what motor would be a direct replacement for a Mashima, though it could well be a Chinese-made one.

Regrettably, Ivan is spot-on. The issue is clearly the cessation of Mashima Motors. I quote from London Road Models site -

"WARNING! Mashima is closing his business and production of motors will cease.

This is happening as he can no longer obtain the rare-earth magnets. Also the dies, jigs, testing equipment etc. are too old so has said he will not be selling the business. Motor production will continue until parts in stock are exhausted. Due to this and the value of the pound motor prices have increased"

I trust that John Redrup will forgive me passing on news word for word from his site!

NOT good news and I wish Roderick and Rebecca all luck in finding supplies, or a replacement. What a pain to design a loco around a particular (obviously well-known and trustworthy) motor, only to have the supply worked out. Or is it - there are a number of suppliers claiming to supply the particular magnets still. Maybe Mr Mashima has decided to spend "more time with his family"? I wish him well in his retirement - there are a few of his motors in various locos upstairs.

Why this particular magnet?

Google says -

"Neodymium Magnets are permanent magnets which are produced from a composition of neodymium, iron and boron. The material remains the strongest type of permanent rare earth magnets currently available."

And I thought this was a nice simple hobby to while away my days at …..

Leslie

I've really stuck my neck out and suggested to "00" that they source the motors and pass on the increase - better that THAN NO LOCO?

Maybe those of us who have ordered them (and NOT PAID a penny, after all) should get our own motor and send it in? Anyone worked out which one it is?

Spoiling ships for a ha'p worth of tar leaps to mind?

Leslie

I've really stuck my neck out and suggested to "00" that they source the motors and pass on the increase - better that THAN NO LOCO?

Maybe those of us who have ordered them (and NOT PAID a penny, after all) should get our own motor and send it in? Anyone worked out which one it is?

Spoiling ships for a ha'p worth of tar leaps to mind?

Not every manufacturer has a Plan B, and if you're only doing short runs....

Supplying your own motor wouldn't necessarily be a good idea because everyone has their own preference and a multiplicity of different designs exist.

That said, I went coreless back in the late 1980s and built up a stock of them, so I'm not yet affected by shortages.

On the Products page, but it's academic anyway, as they are no longer taking orders for it. Must mean that their projected batch has sold out. If ye've missed it....ye've missed it!

News section OO Works Web Site

OO Works.png

The issue of finding suitable replacements for Mashima motors has been discussed on RM Web.

Wider issue than OO Works as most British made gear boxes are designed around Mr Mashima's motors

Hi all.

To answer a few questions,Any future locomotives will almost definitely have a metal boiler as well. We are looking for alternative motors as Mashima Motors have stopped production. Finding a motor for a batch of locomotives that is compatible with gearboxes etc is not as easy at it sounds but we are making good progress.

Since we started doing Irish locomotives we have had many delightful and friendly customers who it has been a pleasure to do business with. 

Cheers. 

Edited by Zivan Bruce

Hi Zivan. Welcome to the site. I like the new and improved website.

Do you have enough Mashimas to complete the second batch of U Class or is the UG only affected by this? The ETA for my 205 was this month, hence the enquiry.

What is the reason for the change to metal boilers?

I hope you can source equivalent motors as I was looking forward to ordering a UG also, after a trial of my U Class

More weight?

A metal boiler on a 4-4-0, particularly a small one like a U class, would cause even more running problems by making the loco even more nose heavy, unless some sort of suspension is incorporated between the loco chassis and the bogie to keep the nose up. However, a metal boiler can only boost the pulling power of a 6 coupled loco such as an 0-6-0 or 2-6-0.

Edited by Dhu Varren

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, Metal boilers do add weight and are easier to work with from a production point of view. We wont be using them on locos such as the 'U' class. 

Naturally over the years the running quality of our locos has been improving with advances in available technology and experience and will continue to do so.

Regarding the Motors, There are some promising looking examples including Maxon,Faulhaber and many more. There are some companies that make motors of a high standard, one of them is Swiss, however the price is £100+ more per motor compared to Mashimas that we use. There are a few companies that have what looks promising and we are getting/have some examples for testing. Although finding a motor sounds easy, for a small production, getting one with the right combination of shaft-size, torque, voltage, size, speed etc is no easy task. This does make finding the right ones most rewarding.

Edited by Zivan Bruce