OO works announce GNRI U Class

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

With such an emphasis on modern image modelling (post 1970 appears to be by far the most popular - understandably)' date=' one wonders whether better commercial viability would result from a RTR steam engine of a preserved type (171, 4, 461) or a "classic" design from the traffic volumes of the past like some of those previously mentioned. A modern image modeller could have one of the former rattling round on an "RPSI" train, whereas an old GSWR or NCC 4.4.0 would only be appropriate for a layout set pre 1960.[/quote']

I think something like a J15 would be the best compromise JB; built in large numbers, long lived and of course a couple of survivors. Or of course something that has a 'wow' factor like the 800's.

Only two were built, so volume wise it would not be an ideal RTR candidate at all. Kit or hand built ala OO works maybe but even then I think the latter would be stretching it.

Nonsense, 461 is a preserved loco, which would make it more commercially viable, it's a sought after loco as well, with many threads on this forum going towards having a model of 461. Obviously the most commercially viable would be a J15, but then your left with the hundreds of different variants, superheated, belpaire firebox, cupboard doors, inchicorised, etc. Even if one is to choose just 184 and 186, it's basically two different models...

Edited by GSR 800

I think something like a J15 would be the best compromise JB; built in large numbers, long lived and of course a couple of survivors. Or of course something that has a 'wow' factor like the 800's.

Now we're talking! Well known, unique, and very little variation!

And,of course, I would commit to all three!

Edited by GSR 800

Nonsense' date=' 461 is a preserved loco, which would make it more commercially viable, it's a sought after loco as well, with many threads on this forum going towards having a model of 461. Obviously the most commercially viable would be a J15, but then your left with the hundreds of different variants, superheated, belpaire firebox, cupboard doors, inchicorised, etc. Even if one is to choose just 184 and 186, it's basically two different models...[/quote']

Nonsense? I think you should mind your manners there Harry. No problems with differing opinions, but manners cost nothing, unlike tooling of a RTR locomotive. €150,000 for an obscure prototype who someone is working to make a kit of would be commercial suicide.

As for the J15s, yes a minefield of variants but modular tooling and planning would allow to cater for the more popular types. Make a hell more sense than doing 461.

Nonsense? I think you should mind your manners there Harry. No problems with differing opinions, but manners cost nothing, unlike tooling of a RTR locomotive. €150,000 for an obscure prototype who someone is working to make a kit of would be commercial suicide.

As for the J15s, yes a minefield of variants but modular tooling and planning would allow to cater for the more popular types. Make a hell more sense than doing 461.

you could just do a J15 from early years, then one or two types in the GSR era, and the rest in CIE and preservation era, maybe 6-7 variants when brought down to that?

Guys, I know I'm not a moderator but can we PLEASE get back on topic which is about the UG and U class. Has anyone found out if you can buy them unpainted? I would rather paint my own to keep costs down.

I sent them an inquiry about that Nelson, hopefully they will get back

Nelson, here's your answer

"And no we can't sell them unpainted, the reason being that some parts are painted as we go through assembly, and are only sold as ready to run items".

He also told me that rivets will also be on the U.

Bummer! Looks like I'll have to save up big time then :( nevermind thanks Harry.

That's an interesting reference to some parts being prepainted before assembly.... clearly there's a lot of cross over between the U and UG so it makes sense given the Great Northern's design approach within classes. I think the U/UG family is a good choice, though as I and others have mentioned, the painting and lining quality will be key.

As the tenders seemed to move around a little, you can even use it towards a PPs......! Here's a question, is the tender on a 'W' the same as that on a U/UG?

I do think though that Hornby are missing a trick with their fowler tank. As I've been working through my WT project it's really hit me how much material Hornby have to work with there which really is on a plate....

Kind Regards

Richard

An NCC "W"? If so, no, that's a different one altogether. Both relatively modern, but it's highly unlikely NCC "W" class ones ever went behind a GNR loco in UTA days.

I would completely agree that Hornby are missing a trick as Richard says....

Fair enough, visually similar then, but nothing else....

Kind Regards

Richard.

An NCC "W"? If so, no, that's a different one altogether. Both relatively modern, but it's highly unlikely NCC "W" class ones ever went behind a GNR loco in UTA days.

I am assuming that the GNR U/UG tenders referred to, are the modern type which, at first glance, have a passing resemblance to the large tenders fitted to some of the NCC W class locos.

The two tender types are only similar in appearance, the GNR version being much smaller, with a water capacity of only 2500 gallons, and a coal capacity of 6 tons, weighing a total of 37 tons on a 13 ft wheelbase.

The NCC version is similar to the LMS 3500 gallon Stanier tender, with the same water capacity, and has a 7 ton coal capacity, weighing a total of almost 48 tons, on a 13ft wheelbase.

The LMS also had a 4000 gallon Stanier tender with a 9 ton coal capacity, on a 15ft wheelbase.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Well spotted there Nelson, am surprised that the first photo we have of this is of the underside - hardly the most flattering angle!

Actually, Patrick, if you go into their website and click on "Construction" you'll find a lot more pics of the U Class, including one of a batch of loco bodies, ready painted and lined.

The Underside does show one disturbing feature - the coupling appears to be screwed to the pony truck and is NOT attached through a NEM Box - which would allow the customer to easily change the coupling to one of their own choice. Still, I assume that's "sortable".

Like Nelson, I like the website which is informative - even with a nice video of one of their earlier locos.

Leslie

The website looks well. Unfortunately the video showing the i3 running didn't impress me, the chassis did not appear to be running free and started and stopped rather abruptly in an unprototypical manner. Could have been the hand on the controller or the apparent lack of double flywheel on the chassis. IMHO models need to be able to appear to operate prototypical accelaration and braking speeds smoothly and capable of ultra low speed running as well as look prototypical. One without the other seems expensive. In this day and age not having online payments on the web site seems an omission. Good luck to them.

U Class Sound

I wish to fit my GNR(I) U Class Locomotive with a sound decoder. Can anyone out there in our - Modelling World - tell me which sound decoders (of the many that are now available) would provide the sounds produced by this locomotive?

I doubt we will have an exact match of the sound but there may be one that is a good or reasonable representation!

Many thanks,

Old Blarney.

I have to say, that prototype looks really good.....! I'm keen to support the product, but it is a lot!

I guess a sound file from a 4-4-0 would be something to go for... the tricky thing would be a GN whistle? Some enterprising person may have to record the whistle from Slieve Guillion....

Cheers for now.

Richard.

I have to say, that prototype looks really good.....! I'm keen to support the product, but it is a lot!

I guess a sound file from a 4-4-0 would be something to go for... the tricky thing would be a GN whistle? Some enterprising person may have to record the whistle from Slieve Guillion....

Cheers for now.

Richard.

It might not be a bad idea for someone to take recording from that & 461 and who knows maybe a J15 in time.

I for one, have become much more interested in sound locos since the arrival of a Class 20 for my MIR Hunslet and my Apt-E (on which I had to turn the volume down, A LOT). My 071 is now a very quiet girl on the layout

Edited by DiveController

The website looks well. Unfortunately the video showing the i3 running didn't impress me, the chassis did not appear to be running free and started and stopped rather abruptly in an unprototypical manner. Could have been the hand on the controller or the apparent lack of double flywheel on the chassis. IMHO models need to be able to appear to operate prototypical accelaration and braking speeds smoothly and capable of ultra low speed running as well as look prototypical. One without the other seems expensive. In this day and age not having online payments on the web site seems an omission. Good luck to them.

Review of OO Works Brighton 4-4-2T. The mechanism in the U Class is likely to be similar to the 4-4-2. Perhaps OO Works might follow up with a T2 4-4-2T a close relative of the U family and the standard passenger tank loco a must for GNR modellers.

Its difficult to fit a decent sized flywheel fitted motor to most Irish steam classes let alone a double flywheel motor, there simply is not enough room in the boiler. The OO Works chassis looks similar in principal to the Hornby T9 and likely to require running in if fitted with Romford wheels metal gearing and built to closer tolerances with less slop than mass produced rtr locos.

The upside is that the loco is likely to last longer and running will improve over time, at a stage the mass produced locos are only likely to be fit for a display case or the bin.

The pre-production model is up on their site. They look well to me. Is the blue a shade dark?

(they do refer to some color issues with their site so not sure if this photo can be judged accurately)

http://www.ooworks.co.uk/news

The model looks very promising.

As for the colour - if you look at the "Construction" section, you can see the bodies, which appear rather lighter.

So, it may just be the photography?

Anyway, I don't think any two GN engines were really the same blue, for many reasons - including exposure to the sun (when it appears!).

I'm waiting for a demand from 00 Works for my money, which I will be very happy to shell out!

Leslie