OO works announce GNRI U Class

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

Can I suggest a tempering of expectations here?

- The joints on the boiler appear to be too few

- The dome looks slightly too large

- the rivet detail underneath is missing

- Pipework on the sides is absent

- some roof detail is missing on the cab

- complete absence of rivet detailing on the tender.

- valve doohickey in front of cab centre and associated pipework absent.

I'd want a bit more detail before I shelled out €400 on a loco. I assume this a "first run" cad and more is to come?

Class U - 203 ARMAGH - GNR(I) 4-4-0 - built 1948 by Beyer Peacock - 1958 to CIE as 203N - withdrawn 1962.

Mr. Humbug

The response to my enquiries from the company

"The image on the web is CAD, and is a good image of what we will produce.

….due to low volume of production, its not super detailed ,but the customer can add further detail to their own speck if they wish to.... there isn't any riveting on the tender again due to manufacturing techniques"

It seems like what you see really is what you get here, so it is definitely a nice model but probably a little less than I would have hoped for

(at twice the price or a good rtr like MM 141/071 class)

The response to my enquiries from the company

"The image on the web is CAD, and is a good image of what we will produce.

….due to low volume of production, its not super detailed ,but the customer can add further detail to their own speck if they wish to.... there isn't any riveting on the tender again due to manufacturing techniques"

It seems like what you see really is what you get here, so it is definitely a nice model but probably a little less than I would have hoped for

(at twice the price or a good rtr like MM 141/071 class)

Sounds a bit like 'sure it'll be good enough for the Irish lads'.

. . . Reckon I will not be parting with my hard earned for either of these models

It's a pity they would not go the extra mile when they have a model which is almost there

Agree. Seems over priced for an underwhelming model. My modelling budget will be saved for the 121s.

Agree. Seems over priced for an underwhelming model. My modelling budget will be saved for the 121s.

This is a shame. It's gone from a definite to a see what it looks like thing for me, I think. The rivet detail on the tender tank is quite a distinctive feature of these locomotives - it points to the origin being something other than the worsley works scratch aid parts as the tender rivet details on these is really very good. If the lining and painting is good it still might be good.

It might've been easier to have gone for one of the 1915 locos with a more traditional tender....

Richard.

That has to be one of the quickest deflations I've yet seen in railway modelling, as the disappointment takes over.

Looking back over the history of OO Works, it has to be said that, although they do produce engines that the mainstream RTR makers don't bother with, those models are robust and pretty basic in terms of detail. The only thing not basic about them is the price.

• 3 weeks later...

This model is a great deal better than any of the GNR (I) U Class Locomotives I possess. I do not have any.

I do not have the skill, or the time to build one. Thus this locomotive, even with its imperfections, will provide me with a good representation of a GNR(I)Locomotive for my model railways.

We often cry-out for more Irish Models. Well, I have ordered one of each of their recent announcements. Should these locomotives really, really, need to have the missing pipes and rivets fitted to them, then I shall ask one or more of my talented builders to add the necessary details for me.

I too have ordered one, reading the comments made about this model I feel people have a lot of misconceptions of the work involved to produce something like this for small numbers of customers. I am currently converting a RTR model into an Irish Steam locomotive and have spent 3 weeks and long hours only getting to a stage when I hope I have got the basic outline right. I think we have been spoiled by the price Paddy Murphy can turns out his quality finished models.

So....is this plastic or metal?

It mentions "following the usual (company) practice of hand assembled metal construction".

If this is a brass built model, then the price is very competitive. I will seriously consider getting one. €340 is very good value.

It mentions "following the usual (company) practice of hand assembled metal construction".

If this is a brass built model, then the price is very competitive. I will seriously consider getting one. €340 is very good value.

Maybe someone who has ordered one could confirm this for certain?

I have been following this thread with interest and I have noted all the comments. I think it depends on which area of modelling is of interest - for me it's the buildings, lineside structures, bridges and scenery so if these models have any imperfections I don't think I would notice them or care because having an RTR Irish loco (even if it's GNR and not BCDR....) will allow me to construct a fully-functional Irish layout, knowing that I will be able to actually run authentic-looking trains. Am not worried about the absence of rivets from the tender - my focus will be on the polychrome brick building and the signal cabin! U class ordered!

You could always message the guy and find out... I remember when model rail took 1 model apart to look at the motor etc... And the body was full white metal, possibly cast, whereas the chassis is brass.

Price the loco are more likely to be assembled from cast metal parts to speed assembly than brass. Wheels, motor gears alone would cost around £80 a professionally assembled brass or whitemetal kit for a similar loco would cost around £500.00

RM Web Thread on OO Works locos http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/41670-who-are-oo-works-and-what-do-they-make/

Ian Js July 2011 post indicates that the Southern "Black Motor" was assembled from "heavy metal parts" and that the only plastic part used was the tender top.

Its possible that OO Works have gone for a Irish loco as a rtr manufacturer of commissioner is unlikely to bring out a U or UG, several locos in the OO Works back catalogue are available in rtr form including the Southern Arthur, SECR C, LSWR Radial and 700 Class.

As others have commented, the total lack of anything Irish in the past is what is worth bearing in mind. The model looks well proportioned as far as it goes, and while not cheap, Mayner's point about a "proper" kit being a lot dearer if bought RTR is quite right.

If the proportions weren't right - e.g. it's way too tall or short or something, then we'd have good grounds for ignoring it, but as others have mentioned, lacking detail can be remedied. Wrong proportions can't. Again, as yet others have mentioned, we may be spoiled by the sheer array of Irish stuff available now - there must be, what, a dozen people on this site (plus Worsley) making various stuff suitable for Ireland.

I'll be the first to admit having criticised some of it, but that's usually over livery which is the easiest remedied detail of the lot! And to those I appear to criticise, in fact I admire them for putting their head (and efforts) above the parapet. As one who came from a career financial background, I don't have to be one of them to be able to point out that these people aren't in it for the money - these Irish models are break-even stuff, often funded by the one-man-band-maker's own personal finances.

So, overall, while I won't be buying one of these - simply because it doesn't fit into anything I'm planning, no other reason - I congratulate OO models, whoever they are!

If I was planning a model of the Bundoran branch in 1956 (now, THERE'S a layout idea; steam and scenery!), I'd probably break the bank and buy a couple....!

Maybe someone who has ordered one could confirm this for certain?

Their Web Site states:

"We make all our locos mainly from cast metal, resin, brass, etch and other materials. Some of our tooling is hand done while other bits are done using 3D design.

Our locos are spray finished with some lining being done free hand. Our loco's are fitted with 5 pole motors."

The following information is taken directly from ooworks Web Page-

"THESE LOCO'S ARE NOT FITTED WITH DCC BUT IT CAN BE FITTED IN EITHER THE BOILER OR THE TENDER, THERE IS ENOUGH ROOM) WE DO NOT PROVIDE THIS SERVICE.

We make all our locos mainly from cast metal, resin. brass , etch and other materials. some of our tooling is hand done while other bits are done using 3D design.

Our locos are spray finished with some lining being done free hand. We only offer OO guage, as most of our customers are from across the British Isles inc Ireland.

Our loco's are fitted with 5 pole motors."

Edited by Old Blarney

Just a sleep deprived thought on this though. If I were a GNR fan, or modellng that era, I would certainly grab one. I know I mentioned lack of rivetting and so on in previous post, but I'm sure this could be easily added, as with the rest of the detail.

Look at it as a "railroad" version of a Hornby loco, rather than a high spec version, and it should keep most content.

This announcement has thrown me!

I am modelling the Bundoran branch (well, Pettigo anyway) but set in 1963.

Under the legislation which set up the Great Northern Railway Board, either the Dublin or Storment governments of the day could have continued working a "joint service" I.e. A cross border line on their own.I've assumed CIE were charged with keeping the Bundoran line open.

1963 of course allows me to run class 121 and 141 diesels plus A & C class.

I, like I'm sure most others, use 16.5 mm track. I can accept diesels running on under gauge track but I have a difficulty with steam locos. Most Irish steam engines were relatively small and that creates the impression that the boilers are hanging between the wheels while on British engines, the boiler appears to sit over the wheels. Yes, I'm sure I can get treatment for this but, for better or worse, that's the way I see them.

But now someone is making a U class; a signature loco for the Bundoran branch.

Can I see a rather grimy U operating a UTA excursion........

Decisions, decisions.

Glover

Edited by Glover
Typo

Fascinating concept, Glover. Had the GNR survived, I suppose GNR and UTA joint working would have been the order of the day. The Bundoran line would have had both. The "Bundoran Express" originated in Dublin, so along with pilgrimage trains would be CIE. the local trains ran primarily to and from Enniskillen, so would be UTA. Goods would be mostly UTA-operated. As well as A, C and 121 class locos, an occasional CIE steam loco - at a very creative pinch - could have got there. the UTA would have ended up, I would think, deploying AEC railcars, though any of the old crates of one-off GN or NCC railcars could have ended up there!

The loco hauled passenger stuff would have seen laminates, tin vans and GSR-constituent wooden coaches and Bredins making appearances. Maybe the solitary K class?

Thanks jhb.

I envisage the Bundoran Express operating much as it did in GNR days, with a UTA coach from Belfast being attached at Clones. Liveries would be a mix of CIE green, black & tan plus UTA green.

Coaching stock would as you say be a mixture of various CIE/GSR types but also with a healthy mixture of former GNR stock, especially those very distinctive K15 types; I have one built so far.

I am assuming that the goods trains were operated by CIE, serving the stations in the Republic; Pettigo, Ballyshannon and Bundoran.

I had planned that the branch service would also be CIE operated but am coming round to the view that UTA operation would be more plausible. That could be diesel or steam, hence my interest in the 00Works U class loco. Coaching in this case would be ex GNR.

I also have a vision that the Sligo Leitrim Railcar B might appear but I haven't yet come up with an answer to the question "why?".

To Weshtys earlier comment about doing a brass etch for the U class, such a possibility might push me over the line!

Cheers,

Glover

Ah - easy, Glover; the SLNCR either closed in 1957, in which case CIE bought "B" and just moved it up the road - or - it survived! But like the GNR has come into CIE / UTA ownership, with both companies operating two daily return trains Enniskillen - Sligo. And the UTA ones are done by Lough Erne and Lough Melvin, while the CIE ones are C class.....

What might have been!

It is amazing what we can do to justify the purchase of rolling stock for our model railways.

I use a Bachmann CLASS 4F 0-6-0 that is a very dirty shade of "Invisible Green", with Black Smoke box. The locomotive tender retains the letters LMS.

The justification for the use of this locomotive? In my World, the railway lines from Londonderry to Eniskillen, Manorhamilton and Sligo were not closed in 1957. These lines were retained following major political pressure from the Dublin Government. They insisted the agreement for either Government to demand the retention of former GNR lines lines be adhered to. This insistence resulted in the formation of a New Railway Company:-

The Londonderry,Manorhamilton and Sligo Railway Company (LMS).

From here the imagination takes over completely!!! Everything and anything trundles over this line. Number 70 can haul mixed trains, cattle trains or whatever can be justified, so long as the rails will carry the traffic. I can imagine a certain U Class being used here!

I am quite, oh ok, very tempted to go for one of these. We've discussed the rivets on the tender - whilst a minor feature, is it ok for a 'layout loco?' can you see them at 2ft away? Probably not, the magazine article illustrates that well - they're practically invisible in the prototype photo.... so that's not a problem for me...

I do want to see the lining though.... I've already a U, No.201 and the lining.... well, that's the most difficult bit.... so I may hang back until there's a painted sample before ordering.

But it's right in the model of my modelling period, is the right loco for me and... well, you can tell I'm not taking much persuading, it' just the price!

Richard.

UTA or GNR livery, tyeres lining involved!

No hiding away with all all over grey for a GNR 4.4.0!

:-)

Of course you could model the GNR of the late 1920s,locos with no nameplates on any locos and a nice plain black livery. Glover really was the "ornate" type wasn't he!