Bargain Watch

Rate this topic

BosKonay

• 4 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Sold. Didn't take long and at that price I'm not surprised. Cheapest one of those in ages.

Ages being a few weeks ago 😂

58 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

He's a bit of an Evan Kelly, so you either sold it for less than that, or sold it for more than that and now something inside is missing... Sawdust on the cogs or something.

🤣

Nothing missing apart from the box, he bought it for less 

• Informative 1

22 hours ago, murphaph said:

Sold. Didn't take long and at that price I'm not surprised. Cheapest one of those in ages.

Still showing as for sale at the moment.

https://touch.adverts.ie/toy-cars-trains-boats-planes/murphy-model-class-141/30269541

That Seon Ruiz chap puts in a massive amount of offers. Pretty sure I've bought one or two things where he has offered and then contacted the sellers in private to withdraw his offer.

Screenshot_20230520-140652.png

Screenshot_20230520-140701.png

Screenshot_20230520-140709.png

• Funny 1

2 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

https://touch.adverts.ie/toy-cars-trains-boats-planes/murphy-model-class-141/30269541

That Seon Ruiz chap puts in a massive amount of offers. Pretty sure I've bought one or two things where he has offered and then contacted the sellers in private to withdraw his offer.

That's the one you were interested in Dave when I had it 😉

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Adverts is a bit weird in that you can’t message the person unless you put in an offer.. If they set the minimum offer to €150 then you have to offer them €150 to even PM them! 

I wouldn’t ever take an adverts offer as binding till you speak to the person for that reason

Edited by MOGUL
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, MOGUL said:

Adverts is a bit weird in that you can message the person unless you put in an offer.. If they set the minimum offer to €150 then you have to offer them €150 to even PM them! 

I wouldn’t edger take an adverts offer as binding till you speak to the person for that reason

They also started hiding sold and withdrawn ads late last year or early this year.

Bit sus as they were a way to verify what sort of seller you were dealing with. Adverts.ie told me that it was to do with advertising clicks on ads that weren't live.

On 22/5/2023 at 3:40 PM, DJ Dangerous said:

Hatton's O Gauge Gresley coches for £89 each!

Have to be a dummy not to buy even one for the mantlepiece.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/directory/versiondetails/3257/hattons_originals_o_lner_gresley_teak

Refer to previous posts about Hatton's 0 gauge stuff. It is cheap, but for a reason. Many of the coaches have had bits falling off. By no means a deal breaker, but buyers may need to do some work to make them presentable. 

Same caveat for the A3 and A4 locos

11 minutes ago, David Holman said:

Refer to previous posts about Hatton's 0 gauge stuff. It is cheap, but for a reason. Many of the coaches have had bits falling off. By no means a deal breaker, but buyers may need to do some work to make them presentable. 

Same caveat for the A3 and A4 locos

According to the HM video in my previous post, the teaks don't suffer any of the faults in the previous two liveries.

Hatton's have the ones from the dodgy batches marked very clearly.

The only complaint that the HM guys had was that they left the coaches out in the sun and one started melting.

Still, at two thirds off, even if a few bits fall off, it's like a 99% completed kit for less than Murphy Models OO Gauge coaches go for.

😂

On 23/5/2023 at 9:49 PM, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

Gerry (Millipede) has just dropped the price from €80 to €70 on this. It's a genuine Murphy Models coach, not a respray, so not a bad price considering.

Screenshot_20230525-084628.png

Edited by DJ Dangerous
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Gerry (Millipede) has just dropped the price from €80 to €70 on this. It's a genuine Murphy Models coach, not a respray, so not a bad price considering.

Screenshot_20230525-084628.png

It's a good price considering the over inflated market out there, I might even buy it to support him, he is a good sort.😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

It's a good price considering the over inflated market out there, I might even buy it to support him, he is a good sort.😉

Still a bit pricey as it is missing the plastic insert though.. The super train don’t seem to get as much as IE ones 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

5 hours ago, MOGUL said:

Still a bit pricey as it is missing the plastic insert though.. The super train don’t seem to get as much as IE ones 

Boxes or inserts don't bother me when I want a coach, locomotive or wagon, that's more important to the collector or hoarder, I just want a decent product.😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

Boxes or inserts don't bother me when I want a coach, locomotive or wagon, that's more important to the collector or hoarder, I just want a decent product.😉

The original box and packaging serves three purposes for those running trains. Firstly, it alludes to the authenticity of the model. Secondly, should somebody (as you yourself did) need to pack the trains away for whatever reason, it protects them from damage and dust. Third, should life and circumstances change and selling up becomes a necessity, you have the original packaging to use for transport, and to verify to the next owner that the model is authentic.

Bargain 201 on Adverts.ie:

https://touch.adverts.ie/toy-cars-trains-boats-planes/muprhy-models-201-irish-rail-loco/30334366

Screenshot_20230525-193814.png

Screenshot_20230525-193829.png

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

The original box and packaging serves three purposes for those running trains. Firstly, it alludes to the authenticity of the model. Secondly, should somebody (as you yourself did) need to pack the trains away for whatever reason, it protects them from damage and dust. Third, should life and circumstances change and selling up becomes a necessity, you have the original packaging to use for transport, and to verify to the next owner that the model is authentic.

Bargain 201 on Adverts.ie:

https://touch.adverts.ie/toy-cars-trains-boats-planes/muprhy-models-201-irish-rail-loco/30334366

Screenshot_20230525-193814.png

Screenshot_20230525-193829.png

Yes agree with much of that but some new models are so fiddley with detail parts that easily fall off putting in and out of their packaging is almost more likely to cause damage. Eg the MM 121 packaging was like a puzzle and if you didn’t get it right you could rip one of the horns off and the cab gard rails. The card board packaging used by Hornby Dublo, then TriAng and Wrenn were much more user friendly for reuse. Then these stupid clear plastic sandwiches became vogue some years ago, they can cause more damage than protection, never mind the sheer waste of materials.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Noel said:

Yes agree with much of that but some new models are so fiddley with detail parts that easily fall off putting in and out of their packaging is almost more likely to cause damage. Eg the MM 121 packaging was like a puzzle and if you didn’t get it right you could rip one of the horns off and the cab gard rails. The card board packaging used by Hornby Dublo, then TriAng and Wrenn were much more user friendly for reuse. Then these stupid clear plastic sandwiches became vogue some years ago, they can cause more damage than protection, never mind the sheer waste of materials.

The only two bad ones that I can think of offhand are the 121 and 201 packaging. 121 packaging was a disaster, and if I recall correctly, wasn't even the packaging that Paddy had agreed upon. Still, that was easily resolved by wedging some cardboard between the cardboard and the foam, just above the loco's bonnet. Snug as a bug in a rug after that. The 201's were ripping through the white plastic and then bouncing around inside the cardboard box.

Still, I would much rather have the original packaging than not, but missing packaging wouldn't be a deal breaker for something I really want.

• Like 1