Bargain Watch

Rate this topic

BosKonay

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, murphaph said:

Facebook groups are likely to be the first port of call for many getting into the hobby. I am a "forum guy", being a member of several, but the vast majority of humankind does not know what a forum is 😉 

Short memories... Fifteen years ago, pre-Bebo, pre-MySpace and pre-Facebook, it was only fora and chat-rooms!

Theres a lot of railing against social media generally, but I steer well clear of facebook. Nothing to do with any particular groups, just the platform as a whole.

Facebook is infamous for poor moderation practices, allowing extremist and conspiracy content to run rampant and selling off data en masse (the Irish regulator has fined them close to a billion over the last 2 years). Although also brought about by the natural 'innovate or decline cycle' of any company, Zuckerberg was pissed enough at Apple allowing users to turn off third party cookies (and killing their profits as a result) that he wants to own the software and hardware for 'internet 3.0' aka the disastrous moneysink known as the metaverse. There's also significant controversy over their 'free basics' internet in developing countries.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

Social media is what you make it.

If you wade through the sludge, then you smother yourself in poop.

But, that's a choice, your choice.

At this very moment in time, I've just used our Facebook page to take a booking from guests looking to arrive tomorrow.

They wrote via one of our advertising platforms, and couldn't make the payment due to card problems.

The platforms block all forms of subterfuge, email addresses, phone numbers, urls etc, to protect their income and to protect their clients.

I was able to tell our guest how to find us on Facebook without having my message blocked, they found us, made contact, paid by bank transfer after seeing our credentials, so they win and we win.

I wasn't subject to anything bad in the process, didn't see anything racist or extremist, and that booking would not have happened without social networking.

I will confess that in general, I don't use FB. I often stay logged off for so many months that I can't remember my password and have to look it up.

I imagine that it's boring, very boring, if you're online going through other people's stuff, but if you are using it for a specific purpose - a model railway group, accepting holiday bookings, re-homing animals, it's a useful and powerful tool.

Where it frustrates me, personally, is when somebody says that something is "on Facebook"... They might as well just say "It's somewhere on the internet" if they're not gonna provide a url to the resource. Likewise, the expensive resin bus models that only get released "on facebook" ... How the Hell is anybody supposed to get themselves one with something so vague?

A url, a date, a time and a name make a big difference.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GSR 800 said:

Theres a lot of railing against social media generally, but I steer well clear of facebook. Nothing to do with any particular groups, just the platform as a whole.

Facebook is infamous for poor moderation practices, allowing extremist and conspiracy content to run rampant and selling off data en masse (the Irish regulator has fined them close to a billion over the last 2 years). Although also brought about by the natural 'innovate or decline cycle' of any company, Zuckerberg was pissed enough at Apple allowing users to turn off third party cookies (and killing their profits as a result) that he wants to own the software and hardware for 'internet 3.0' aka the disastrous moneysink known as the metaverse. There's also significant controversy over their 'free basics' internet in developing countries.

Ever since Electric Jesus / Space Karen took over Twitter, it looks like he is trying to take over from Facebook as the new place for the loonies to go and spread their shite - with a few choice tweets from himself to get the party started

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, skinner75 said:

Ever since Electric Jesus / Space Karen took over Twitter, it looks like he is trying to take over from Facebook as the new place for the loonies to go and spread their shite - with a few choice tweets from himself to get the party started

Yes, I would avoid twitter like the plague - on principle!

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...