Bargain Watch

Rate this topic

BosKonay

Interestingly the ones on eBay have white/cream coloured roofs, whereas the marks models ones are dark grey roofs??? Same model numbers so did bachmann produce two variants?

Hmmm :) price aside, I've yet to see a brass built one that is not warped or twisted in some way.

Bit of a sweeping statement to make Noel.There's plenty of brass kits running on layouts that suffer from none of the above mentioned.I've also seen many brass kits on here which have been built to exceptionally high standards.

• Like 1

Bit of a sweeping statement to make Noel.There's plenty of brass kits running on layouts that suffer from none of the above mentioned.I've also seen many brass kits on here which have been built to exceptionally high standards.

Fair enough. I was not criticising any particular kit, but rather the results the medium itself yields in the hands of 'some' average builders. And photos from layouts bear this up. There are a small number of superb master builders on here who aim for and achieve precision results from brass, but that seems to be more the exception than the norm. I know I would fall into the latter category myself with this material. :)

The medium, as you describe it, demands a level of precision and accuracy to design that is on par with anything I've entertained with my Asian counterparts. In fact, you can attain a higher level of fidelity with brass than you can with plastic, due to the tolerances of injection moulding gates and so on. Try any brass kit, any at all, and I guarantee that the person who authored it went through several iterations of design, etch, build & discard, to finally get to a finished item, for the market. The brass kit makers lot is one of pilgrimage, that involves the bending of metal to perfectly mesh on the fold, to be soldered and line up absolutely true. Anyone who has tackled a Kearney/SSM, John Mayne, or even a UK brass kit will know that if you know what bit sticks to what other bit, it's impossible to have it warp or bend.

To say that "I was not criticising any particular kit, but rather the results the medium itself yields in the hands of 'some' average builders. And photos from layouts bear this up" is tantamount to a fella saying "the sky is mostly blue, but on the odd occasion it's green, but I've no photos to back this up". Complete Balderdash.

This is an appallingly incorrect message to propagate on this, or any of the other fora you post on, that brass kits are inordinately difficult and are the preserve of a select few, and you should withdraw those comments. It's the same as a dapol kit - stick A to B, then to C. It's just heat, solder and flux as opposed to glue and pray. Resin and Whitemetal kits will bend and warp like Pat Hickey at an OCI inquiry, but not brass.

Lastly, I have yet to see a warped brass finished kit on either here, or RMweb in all my years of perusing both. I'd be enlightened if such photos actually existed and would encourage you to post them in a new thread, so I can ally any "brass fears" you may have , in an appropriate place.

To keep this "on topic" here's a cracking offer, if anyone's in the mood.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/322741898367?ul_noapp=true

Rich.

Edited by Glenderg
  • Like 2

Excellent post from someone who knows exactly what he is talking about. Also getting back on topic the Cravens really are a fantastic model that deserve their place at the top table. Definitely one of MM's finest models, I love them, even at full price they are still a bargain.

Rich,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
17 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Had a little giggle to myself this fine sunny morn

Posted on an ad in Done Deal

"Hornby railway trains for sale or swap 5 vintage steam locos and all made in England not the rubbish from China"

I reckon he wont be buying any IRM "rubbish"

Gas, the latter years Margate stuff was the worst stuff I have ever run. Well, it didnt run properly, at all. Pulled nothing, looked hideous etc etc. Hornby China stuff blows its socks off. 

• Like 3

There's light years between the Chinese and UK stuff that was built years ago. Times have moved on no matter where it built standards would have improved.

But I do have stuff that still runs and runs well from the 70'80s that has no tiny bits to break off them!!. Even if it is a few laps and then a quick pick up to smell the slight burning odour off the motor. Loverly

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

Gas, the latter years Margate stuff was the worst stuff I have ever run. Well, it didnt run properly, at all. Pulled nothing, looked hideous etc etc. Hornby China stuff blows its socks off. 

Yes Hornby stuff back then really was rubbish until Bachmann forced them to raise their game.  Bachmann were light years ahead of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Ian Cooper said:

Just a heads up for anyone looking for Murphy Models 141's or Craven coaches. Hattons have just listed some secondhand ones on their website.

Nice 184 in modern IE tippex livery for £220 which is a keen price for a pristine MM 181 with sound, pro-weathered and buffer beam detail added. Personally I really like the subtle weathering on this one, not over done.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/399823/Bachmann_Branchline_MM0184_PO_Irish_Class_181_184_in_IE_livery_Commissioned_by_Murphy_Models_of_Dublin_Pre_ow/StockDetail.aspx

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
21 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Jasus is right. What planet are some of these living on. I'll be watching this with interest. If they do manage to offload it to someone deluded enough to buy it, I know what I'll be doing with my one :D

7 hours ago, mmie353 said:

Interesting line on the description, "This is an opportunity to get your hands on a very unusual, highly collectable piece of model locomotive history that appears to be sold out everywhere", Locomotive??? 

What's that I can smell? It's definitely something familiar...A hint of grapes maybe? I've definitely smelt it somewhere before... Ah that's it. It's bullshit. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2019 at 10:21 PM, JasonB said:

Jasus is right. What planet are some of these living on. I'll be watching this with interest. If they do manage to offload it to someone deluded enough to buy it, I know what I'll be doing with my one :D

Hi to all,

These carriages (Murphys Models CIE Cravens) are still available from Frizinghall Models & Railways (they regularly advertise in the Railway Modeller magazine) for £45. Check their website.

Edited by Lambeg man

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Nice little tool that turns up regularly from this store

https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?articleId=19091

If, as it probably does, it has the same spindle as their cordless ones, then the Dremel chuck will fit it - handy to avoid collet-changing when using stuff that's not on the 'standard' spindle size.

Obtainable for a few quid via eBay.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Nice little tool that turns up regularly from this store

https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?articleId=19091

I've had one of these for years.

Excellent for the price.

14 minutes ago, Broithe said:

If, as it probably does, it has the same spindle as their cordless ones, then the Dremel chuck will fit it - handy to avoid collet-changing when using stuff that's not on the 'standard' spindle size.

Obtainable for a few quid via eBay.

Is this the chuck ?

https://www.mcquillantools.ie/dremel-4468-chuck/