Bargain Watch

Rate this topic

BosKonay

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8802[/ATTACH]

TV ads, in Easons and many good magazine shops for about 6 EURO, and you get a nice unnumbered MK1

Thanks for the tip, Bos, I hadn't seen the ad. Picked up a few in Easons in Belfast Donegall Place yesterday, where they seemed to be selling well.

The coach is pretty good for a budget job. Biggest negative is that the underframe trussing is filled in, solid, not cut out. Body is unpainted plastic but looks quite good; the 'plasticky-looking grey' roof can easily be painted and coach number transfers added. It has spring-loaded close couplers, decent metal wheels, and flush glazing. Most detail is moulded but it's nicely done. Cheap project basis too. Overall reaction to the model seems to be mostly very positive: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52594-model-railway-partwork-your-model-railway-village/

The mag is pretty 'lightweight' as you might expect but not bad, apart from some 'kiddy-speak' in places. The layout itself, tho obviously completed to a good standard for the promotional pics, actually looks quite attractive and well-designed for its intended purpose, despite the odd baseboard size. Of course as with all these part-works, the overall price will be high if you go the course (and the publishers do, to), and it's likely a long haul to get to something buyers can actually run (but anyone starting now will probably still have the layout finished before mine is!). A creditable project; I hope it gets enough subscribers to keep going.

• 3 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Are the bachmann Irish run completely sold out? They do tend to appear on fleabay from time to time?

I've had no luck picking up the engine shed or stone station in six months but don't want to bring up re-runs here again. Tried to drop a hint on the Marks Models thread since they're in such good standing with Bachmann right now. Carlow station still available through several vendors, have several of those for the layout, good for stations and house alike in my mind at least

How fortuitous! It is Black Friday here in the US. Funny you should contact me on this day. P.m. sent.

Mark, sorry to hear these were not successful. It is hard to believe. I have three each of the three other models including the two current ones. I understood the original Bachmann station and running shed were extremely popular, hence, I was curious whether a rerun would occur. Like I said I have been looking for these older models on the site Google eBay and just about everywhere else for the last six months until BK found these in his attic

Hi Seamus. I already purchased some of the above from you. It was the older stuff I was looking for but thanks for posting!

Kevin

Edited by DiveController

I am afraid not realistic to produce another batch of these, as quantity would have to be a minimum of 500 pieces, and the last 2 buildings have not proved successful , They are on clearance in our online Black Friday sale, selling at less than cost

I was pretty shocked by the lack of interest shown in them to be honest. They are well produced and ideal for an Irish-based layout. Its a pity as I remember the 'show of interest' notice that both you and Seamus sent out regarding getting these models produced.

Its one thing that will always happen though, people cry out for models to be made but when it comes to it, the demand often does not compute into an actual purchase. I can see how retailers can then become very nervous then about commissioning any future models/projects.

The first two were probably snapped up due to fact they were buildings specifically produced for the Irish market and somewhat unique. An engine shed is always going to be popular and the stone station was going to satisfy the need of many for an Irish station.

However the second station, based on Carlow, I think is a far better looking model (as the stone one can arguably be compared to a British station). The Auld House is a great model but I think due to it not being strictly a lineside but more of a scenery building, then some probably weren't too bothered in the end. Again, a pity.

I'm probably going to us the Carlow station as both a station and a free standing house/country house with a little change in colour to disguise that its the same model. Similarly with the pub when I individualize it a little…

but will only be used as a pub as three would scarcely be enough for one small Irish outline layout!:cheers:

Signal cabins, always needed

:trains:

I like the stone building as I always liked stone/limestone architecture. Thanks, BK!

PS, while the rest of you are rummaging in the attic to see where your Christmas gifts have been hidden (I mean, looking to get the tree down, ahem), if you come across any more 44-251 and 44-252, I'm in the market for morePIMP

Edited by DiveController

• 3 weeks later...
Hornby offering a "Black Friday Sale"

http://www.hornby.com/shop/black-friday-sale.html

Just to update all of you on dealing with Hornby! I purchased several items in their Black Friday sale in November.

Here we are on Christmas Eve and they have not replied to several emails nor are they contactable on their helpline.

It's pretty obvious they are not working to make time on my order today (despite the nice email from "noreply@wereabigcompanyandyoudontreallymatter.com" to say they are working on it. When I called earlier they had all left for the day. Just as well none of it is a Christmas present for anyone (other than me):mad: