071 supertrain livery

Rate this topic

Oh Yes - pic below posted in the original 'retro livery' thread by NIRCLASS80. Superb photoshop.

A73 - Black'n'Tan in wonderland livery

Now you've tempting me to try this fictitious livery on an 071 model :)

That's the one I was on about. I think that would look great if IE rolled out one like that and give the 071 the A designation they missed out on.

That's the one I was on about. I think that would look great if IE rolled out one like that and give the 071 the A designation they missed out on.

Agree. IMHO that baby GM B&T loco livery was the sharpest and most eye catching livery until the GM 201 mk4 green/grey era. The super train era livery was dull as ditch water from a marketing perspective as well as classic 1970s colour blind dowdy. Reminiscent of soviet era dullness. At least tippex lifted ST livery substantially until green'n'grey. :). I like the freight grey 071s if not a little plain.

• 3 weeks later...
I was never a big fan of the Super train livery,so when 071 got its facelift it never really done anything for me.But this I can't wait to see :D

I'm on the same page as you Jason.

Its a funny thing, I had a mild fondness for the ST livery when introduced with the actual super train back in 72 (i.e. A class with mk2s). It looked modern with the curves on the A class roof matching the sleek new mk2 roofs. I remember at the time thinking Ireland had finally arrived in the 20th century with a modern looking train, little realising the locos stemmed from the mid 50s. But to my eyes, after a while the livery seemed rather dull and dowdy until the IR era when the addition of white tippex stripes transformed the livery for the better. Noel