Dugort Harbour

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

image.thumb.jpeg.389d3d3206b294c52cc1ddf61115ae56.jpeg

It's All-Ireland day in 1965, and Kerry are all set (as usual!) for Croke Park. Two locomotives leave Dugort Harbour with five packed coaches. At Castletown West they will add on another six bogies and a dining car for the journey to Dublin. Unfortunately, today will see a three point win by Galway......

• Like 17

• 3 weeks later...

And it’s off to town in 1966…..only two passengers this morning, and they’re in the van sharing a flask of tea with Johnny the guard, while they discuss the great issues of the day, like whether Ed will get his car fixed by Tuesday, and what is to be done about Michael’s cow shed roof.

Meanwhile, Tom, alone in the cab, contemplates a job offer driving a post office van in Manchester, where his daughter lives…..

IMG_8858.jpeg

• Like 17

9 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

And it’s off to town in 1966…..only two passengers this morning, and they’re in the van sharing a flask of tea with Johnny the guard, while they discuss the great issues of the day, like whether Ed will get his car fixed by Tuesday, and what is to be done about Michael’s cow shed roof.

Meanwhile, Tom, alone in the cab, contemplates a job offer driving a post office van in Manchester, where his daughter lives…..

IMG_8858.jpeg

Iconic, wonderful. Thank you for these wonderful Dugort stories.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Another top-class weathering job for my latest 00 Works J15, done by our own Dempsey.

Here it is at Barrack St, Dundalk, before returning under its own steam to Dugort Harbour in the wild recesses of west Kerry.

IMG_8869.jpeg

So your saying it left Kerry clean and came back dirty? Usually it’s the other way around 

• Funny 4

“We’ll have to just manhandle it in. No wonder the crane’s seized - PJ says he never saw anyone oil it at all, and he’s here since 1944…”

IMG_8873.jpeg

“Not too many of them still in silver….gets very dirty, doesn’t it….”

”That’s Pat driving today. It’ll be a lively run back….. his da still isn’t well, y’know….”

IMG_8870.jpeg

IMG_8872.jpeg

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 13

“The Council’s building seventeen of them, two bedrooms each. They’ve all got inside lavatories, the lot, like in Dublin…AND a gas cooker!”

”That’ll take up that whole field. I heard that the Dalys got a hundred pounds for it from the council….”

IMG_8950.jpeg

“John says the re-railing ramps are in the old lamp store somewhere but I couldn’t find them….”

”They’re in the lifting van in the yard. We need this on the road by six…”

IMG_8928.jpeg

• Like 8

“What’s wrong with that train?”

“It’s come off the track. Look at the front wheels. Those men are fixing it”.

”But how can four of them make a big train get back on the rail?”

IMG_8929.jpeg

“Ye see, guard, there’s no-one here after seven in the evening. The door’s been crow barred open. Second time since August”

”What’s missing?”

”Ah, shovels, crowbars, lamps…. probably Timmy’s bottles o’holy water, but sure ye know that!”

”I’ll pretend I didn’t hear that! Nice stuff, though, he got me a bottle too…”

IMG_8930.jpeg

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 9
  • Funny 4