KMCE's Workbench

Rate this topic

KMCE

The South Eastern does not appear to have had the very low platforms commons on the Cork Line and older parts of the GSWR so coaches with lower footboards may have been un-necessary at least in DSER/GSR/CIE days. The GNR(I) also appear to have fitted (or removed) lower footboards from their 6w and older coaching stock.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

While I wait for transfers for the coaches, I needed to have some locos to pull them, so set to adding detail to 428.

Handrails, vac pipes, tank fillers, etc all added which help bring the model alive. 

PracticallyComplete1.thumb.jpg.5fb493735fe99b7ec59b5a79b9fa152f.jpg

PracticallyComplete2.thumb.jpg.3a20f9b640e83614f8096af7c6bc15a0.jpg

Still some tidying up to do - the dome is not sitting correctly and needs a skirt to finish it. Also there is space under the smokebox that needs to be filled along with the gap at the rear of the cab. 

Little things, but they do take up time to set right and then off to the paintshop for a coat of grey.

All for now.

Ken

• Like 16
  • WOW! 1

• 1 month later...

Some additional loco work has been underway recently.  The 428 class loco got a number plate - 431 in this case as it works with designations on my RC controller.  The 423 class kit was finally completed and painted - some tidying up needed, but it has turned out rather well.  This was the MK1 kit which required some mods to fix minor errors.  The original scratchbuilt 423 got a new superstructure courtesy of a MK2 kit spare etch - this corrected some errors from the Mk1 but has been further refined for the Mk3 kit, again minor tweaks, but I prefer to fix the errors as I find it quite annoying when assembling a kit to discover errors that need fixing. 

431Painted.thumb.jpg.ef7cad2c99899cead104bd6a913c6140.jpg

428 Class with number plate added, but some weathering needed to finish.

423Painted1.thumb.jpg.1f5492e433a62c64d94c5cb5685129fc.jpg

423Painted2.thumb.jpg.b47b17bfae2bbef39364c8db5aa38cbf.jpg

The new 423 with light weathering - I think a heavier belt with the weathering brush will be needed.

423Repurposed.thumb.jpg.22a693e3f60dc6599e313062d3a719fe.jpg

Old 423 with new superstructure with the old chassis.  The plan is to paint this in DSER black with lining to go with some DSER stock (about time I hear you cry)!!

Finally a quick line up outside the work:

OutsidetheLocowork1.thumb.jpg.271f24d83bc412647ff01e1215977487.jpg

All for now...

Ken

• Like 14
  • WOW! 3

Those DSER/DWWR 2-4-0T and 2-4-2T locos were really distinctive powerful looking locos with their relatively high pitched large diameter boiler contrasting significantly with other "Southern" tank locos. Although the ex-DSER 2-4-0T and 2-4-2T were considered to be obsolete by the GSR they appeared to be capable locos working South Eastern Suburban passenger services until replaced by diesels. The original DWWR 2-4-2T were rebuilds of the 2-4-0T, its a pity the GSR did not re-build the remaining 3 2-4-0T as 2-4-2T bringing them into line with the rest of the fleet allowing all ex-DSER suburban tanks to work through to Bray and Greystones, the small bunkers apparrently restricted the 2-4-0T to  Amiens St-Dunlaoire workings and Pier Trains

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, I started this 670 Class loco in Nov 2018 (yes 5 years ago!!) - this one being a real problem child, in every sense; on and off the workbench many times.  Chassis was built twice, brakes probably 3 times, and front splashers, I've lost track.  However in a concerted effort to get it finished, I spent some time recently to try and get it completed.  There are still some issues to be worked on, well quite a few issues, but I'm getting closer. 

670PartialCompletion2.thumb.jpg.edaa8ac158c03908e8fde2b5cfad9003.jpg

670PartialCompletion1.thumb.jpg.7e8a9809fea1c1517045719c89d3b3fd.jpg

The 3D printed parts help reduce the workload as those steps proved almost impossible in brass.

Front steps will need some brass reinforcement as they are wandering a little too much, and I think I will need some additional fixings to hold the body down to the footplate at the rear, etc, etc.

Getting closer & I'll post more as progress permits

Edited by KMCE
  • Like 13

• 1 month later...

So, a quick update on the 670 class.  The problem child has finally grown up and but for a few snags is ready to join the fleet. 

670Painted1.thumb.jpg.2aa19c4c68272279a7e52d3fd14e3b41.jpg

670Painted2.thumb.jpg.5e52cd90cde35f5b88d7af09cb0ebcf3.jpg

The coat of paint helped to blend in the harsh elements and bring things together.  Still a few elements to tidy up - a bit of filler needed on the steam dome and the numbering needs tidying up.  A touch of paint on the buffer beams would help too.  Not withstanding those bits, it has come together rather well given the problems.  Electrical elements need to be tidied up as well - I had the chips taped to the underside of the roof which worked before, so will probably do that again.  Quite a lump of a locomotive and considerably bigger that the earlier 423 and 428 classes, so easy to see why they ended up with a train of bogey coaches running on the Bray line.

Anyway, enough of that for the moment - I'll get back to it at some point to do the snagging.

Ken

• Like 9
  • WOW! 8

And now for something completely different!

I have been asked by quite a few people if I could develop the 423 Class locomotive for 7mm O-Gauge, and naively said "sure - no problem".  Well it wasn't quite as easy as just scaling the 4mm kit to 7mm and sending off to the etchers.  Metal thickness changes needed some tweaks to dimensions, and even at that some tabs are not lining up - but that's getting ahead of myself.

It took some time to develop the etches as I had no bearings, couplings, etc to properly dimension the chassis etc, and a spat between An Post and Royal Mail meant an order with all those parts got stuck in Dublin for c. 10 Weeks - luckily Slaters sent it by courier the second time and it arrived.  Some frantic work and a push with the etching company (PPD) meant I got the etches before Christmas.  Great - a nice pressie for me!!

BrassFret1.thumb.jpg.99ce5f93cc3551e6227393eeb0895746.jpg

Brass fret in one piece - lesson No. 1:  Need to break this down into two.  It measures nearly 300 x 300mm so probably would be better as two frets.  Not the only problem - the etching didn't quite go to plan - the 4 disks to the top RHS should be spectacle rings for the openings in the cab.  Guess I'll just have to use soft brass wire to make them on the prototype.  I will be in touch with PPD regarding this and other errors, as they appear to be issues on their side - when I checked the artwork, it should have etched properly.

NSFret.thumb.jpg.10a4153d1ca26394322cce11457ccf14.jpg

Then Nickel Silver fret for the chassis (0.7mm) was in one piece, again a little large at c. 250 x 250mm, however PPD split this over two frets which makes more sense.  Another error is the parts labelled 10, 17 & 18.  10 & 17 make up the reversing lever detail, while 18 should be a ring which helps keep the boiler at the correct external dimensions whilst soldering the seam.  It's the best way I have found to solder a boiler without resorting to wire & clips etc.  Again all good on the artwork, so I'll get in touch with PPD to discuss.  In fairness to them, they have responded very well to issues in the past with other kits, so I don't expect a major fuss.

Anyway the purpose of all this is to make a 7mm O-Gauge prototype of the DSER 423 Class loco.

Chassis1.thumb.jpg.b3f8a4a2bf191d490c5e600213d47ad1.jpg

First up, chassis parts and spacers.  Faux cylinder heads were etched and the rivets popped out (with a rivet press due to metal thickness) and fixed to the front spacer.  Spacers were folded as necessary, however the spacer on the very left was too wide.  Essentially the kit was scaled up from 4mm (21mm Gauge) and spacers adjusted accordingly, however this one appeared to slip through the process - a quick snip with the shears got it down to size.

The chassis has been developed to take fixed bearings and has no compensation allowed for - I have noted (perhaps incorrectly) that most 7mm modellers prefer to use fixed bearings, so this is the route I have taken.

Some standard brass bearings were fitted to the frames and frame spacers fixed to one side.  Again, another gotcha - due to the metal thickness and the bend, some of the tabs did not line up properly which needed an element of filing to get them right.  This can be amended for the Mk 2 version along with other minor errors.

Using the axles it was possible to solder up the second frame to the spacers and all checked for squareness and flatness - thankfully this came together quite well and didn't require much work.  A small amount of fettling was needed to ensure the axles ran free, but once wheels were on, everything lined up perfectly and all wheels are even on the rails - no rocking!

RollingChassis1.thumb.jpg.6f6f3489c9cc6a13f378f2be3040e93d.jpg

RollingChassis2.thumb.jpg.0ece6af40b33c44e61b303c47218fd4a.jpg

One thing I am finding is that this is big!  As I was building it, I was convinced (more than once) that I had got the dimensions wrong and oversized everything.  Putting it on the track and comparing to the loco and wagons I have shows it is correct - guess I am tuned to 4mm?

Anyway, all for now.  Next up, faux firebox sides, connecting rods, and brakes to get a finished chassis, but so far, so good.

Ken

• Like 7
  • WOW! 6

This stuff is among the very top “star performers” on this entire forum.

The DWWR / DSER has, despite very unique and interesting locos and rolling stock, and among the most spectacular scenery in Ireland, been inexplicably ignored by modellers over the years. 

Your efforts make this balance up - and with bells and whistles. Great to see so much more. The carriages, too, and wagons, are amazing!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That’s real talent, putting together an etch for a job like that. Hopefully, it’s a real sweet runner, certainly I’ve found doing compensation on the drivers for this size of loco is a waste of time if it’s built true to start with. I’m guessing you’re allowing the lead axle some “float”, the etch shows a hole rather than a slot, and you’ll need some deflection or the lead axle will rob the drivers of adhesive weight.
your comments on the size of 7mm are interesting, I’m sure once you’ve picked up the finished loco and felt the bulk of it in your hand a few times, you’ll be very disappointed with the 4mm jobs you have for the “feel” they give. Another one joins the club!

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

Thanks for the comments and likes guys, they are much appreciated.

On 29/12/2023 at 2:31 PM, jhb171achill said:

The DWWR / DSER has, been inexplicably ignored by modellers over the years.

Agreed.  Given it was the first railway and third largest railway company on the Island, it does not appear to garner much interest.  Their passenger volumes were huge and freight conveyance included the usual materials, but also copper ore and cut stone materials; there is a fascinating amount of material to cover in the model world.

On 29/12/2023 at 9:15 PM, David Holman said:

Am guessing you have it for 32mm gauge at the moment? Presumably wider frame spacers would work for 36.75?

Yes - the plan is to prepare a basic model for 32mm but provide an extra small fret with 36.75 spacers for those that would like them.

On 30/12/2023 at 2:22 PM, Northroader said:

you’re allowing the lead axle some “float”,

Good point - the holes in the frames are designed to take the bearings accurately and I propose to allow for some movement by fettling of the leading axle bearing which would hopefully provide the necessary float.

On with the build.

Brakes, faux firebox sides, and con-rods were added.

RollingChassis4.thumb.jpg.6ed8851a6931397a06ce96708abee44c.jpg

Con-rods were sweated together using the bushes provided with the wheels and came together rather well.  Once made up and reamed slightly to ensure a free fit on the bearings they were added to the wheels.  No binding and chassis rolls freely first time - first time for me also, as this work normally involves lots of tweaking to the quartering and con-rod holes to get a good fit, but this time things went well.

RollingChassis3.thumb.jpg.a520992a63d5e634b28a925d80d273d2.jpg

Brake hangars and shoes were sweated together using 1mm rod to centre them.  The frames were designed to take 2mm hollow tube with a 1mm inner diameter which took the 1mm rod through the brake hanger.  In this way the brakes are detachable for painting and maintenance.  Brake pull rods were added to set the distances between front and rear brakes and also hold the position relative to the wheels - all in all a fiddly but worthwhile exercise.

Thus ends the work on the rolling chassis.  On with the footplate works....

RollingChassis5.thumb.jpg.f9bf6affcf3ec181e55fe047176eb41f.jpg

RollingChassis6.thumb.jpg.5ca0ec6fdfe20378dfddfd57f5382f9b.jpg

Springs were in two etches which were sweated together to provide some depth and detail on both sides.  The buffer beams are designed to wrap around to provide buffer depth and soldered in under the footplate with a snug fit to the ends of the frames.  The steps were half etched to allow turning up both the step and ends, and looking at them now, perhaps the step depth could be a little deeper - they look a little thin.  Once steps were fixed, the valances were soldered into the slots in the footplate with the front slots needing some solder to fill the hole - the rear slots will be hidden by the tanks.

So completes the Nickel Silver work and we are up to footplate level - onwards with the brass work to provide a body.

All for now.

Ken

• Like 8
  • WOW! 2

• 2 weeks later...

Moved slightly sidewise on the O-Gauge project. 

This loco, and the GSWR train already in stock, will need something to run / display on, so I decided to put some track together.  A little bit of a shock when I saw the prices of points in O-Gauge, so I figured I already had some track developed for P4 which could be rescaled to O-Gauge.  Simples, right? Well, it took a little more work than that but nothing excessive.  So with some 3D printing and code 124 rail from Hattons it was possible to build a crossover.

Crossover1.thumb.jpg.8f7e122f7a731a4e4a0737c62261812f.jpg

Crossover2.thumb.jpg.2c3bebbfe2df792b6ea6713bcedb658e.jpg

Experience with P4 point building helped considerably, however given the limitations of the build plate of the printer, it takes quite some to print out the parts.  That said, this cost a fraction of commercial systems, so worth the effort.

The thought process is to use this track in a simple layout; probably Chapel Station which was located between Macmine Junction and Palace East thus allowing for GSWR and DSER stock to appear in the same station.  A very basic station with a single crossover to serve the goods shed and a headshunt to serve the cattle pens.  A road bridge provides a nice scene block, and both the station and goods shed are still in existence which will help develop the model. 

Well, that's the plan - as things develop I will create a new thread in the layouts section.

All for now.

• Like 12

Some DSER rolling stock to go with the loco.  These are a scaled up version of my 4mm models with some mods to improve the look - a basic scale up version can look a bit chunky.  The 4mm models are designed for 21mm gauge, so some tweaks were required to the axle boxes to take the slaters bearings. 

CattleMineral1.thumb.jpg.2ee6fe52325036e47111c5eda27897d7.jpg

The 3D printed roof on the cattle wagon was a bit heavy, so I went with a basic model and added a brass roof - I will probably add some fine sandpaper to represent the canvas covered roof.

CattleMineral2.thumb.jpg.fa3076d5cfdcc5588acdfd67aa2371a5.jpg

Slaters sprung 3 link couplings were added - I'm not going to bother with auto de-coulpling as this will be more of a display type layout than operational, so I'm happy with the "great hand in the sky".

CattleMineral3.thumb.jpg.98f178a08c1e67ada3183bc3829c1186.jpg

I decided to include a more prototypical under frame, albeit tweaked to allow for the 32mm gauge - this helped to reduce the floor thickness and thus printing weight.  The axlebox extensions can be seen with the bearings inserted - no adhesive needed as these are a tight press fit.  The underframe did make the clip on the coupling hook interesting to insert, but I got there.

All in all a nice addition and will need some paint to finish them off, but they stand well with Bob's @Northroader wagons.

Cheers,

Ken

• Like 12
  • WOW! 1