KMCE's Workbench

Rate this topic

KMCE

• 7 months later...

It's been quite a while since I posted in here, but then I suppose I had other stuff to do!!

I was reading through Iain RIce's book on chassis construction and realised that I needed to make some changes to the 2-2-2.  I was using a single centre PB spring for the front axle, while the book recommends two.  I also removed a lot of side play in the rear axle and reduced side play in the front axle which greatly helped balance and general running.

As has been mentioned before, I have moved to RC for loco power, and given the batteries in question are 3.7V, I have also changed motors (to remove the voltage regulators), and in this instance gearboxes also.  I bought a few N20 gearmotors with various gear reductions, in this case 300, 200 & 100 RPM at the shaft - this then required some form of bevel gears to transfer this shaft speed to the axle.  Some brass bevel gears were bought and amended to fit the shaft (1/8" rather than 3mm as bought) and a motor /gearbox mount designed and cut on the CNC. This last addition solved a lot of problems with mounting the gearmotor & ensures consistent meshing of gears.  The different shaft speeds were to work out which gearmotor provided the smoothest slow speed running - this loco (and the prototype) were never designed for high speed mainline running, and given the size of my layouts, would never get up to speed anyway!

371932293_N20MotorInstall5.thumb.jpg.ea6ac40846443c972c69cd5c5d5377e4.jpg

Gearmotor, bevel gears & motor mounting on display here, along with the on/off & charging port.

What is really nice about these gearmotors is that they are very compact and can be mounted nicely between the frames (in 21mm anyway) so that it does not take up cab space.  The battery and receiver were added, which for now do sit up in the cab, but there is a little more space in the firebox area, which may hide them in the future.  All of this clears space in the boiler area for a rather large lump of lead; this little loco needs quite a bit of weight over the drivers to avoid wheelspin.

1140462514_N20MotorInstall6.thumb.jpg.7cfb515ccabfbe82759e3c88353c8ef5.jpg

Cables between switch and battery & switch and receiver are a little long, but can easily be shortened once the chassis is painted & I can make the final installation.

So with the mods made to motor & gearbox, plus the few suggestions from the Iain Rice book, the loco runs very well and negotiates points and other track impediments rather well.  It runs smoothly without wheel spin, and as this was never designed to haul a long train of heavy coaches, should do just fine on my small layouts.

473859277_N20MotorInstall4.thumb.jpg.e1b9973d63934db49d51af128952b84a.jpg

Still more work to do, as boiler bands, handrails, brakes, etc still need finishing.  I may paint the chassis once the brake work is done to get it complete and then focus on the body afterwards.  Getting everything into this loco, plus sufficient weight for adhesion has taken some time and planning, albeit with some revisions where the first attempt was not quite right, but I think I am on the final stretch.

All for now.  More as progress and energy levels permit.

Ken

• Like 11
  • WOW! 5

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So, the horse box proved to need a little more work than anticipated, but I think we have got it sorted now.  Some problems with the printer have cause a backlog, but whilst not quite there, the prints are finally of a quality that can be shown.

What was not initially evident was that the Horsebox had a beehive type louvre on the roof - I initially mistook this as a building behind the wagon in the photo I was using, but sight of some other photos, it appears was part of the roof, and in this case is the only roof decoration.

HBUnPainted3.thumb.jpg.4eac6ea57afde5be70d0381d59020ae0.jpg

HBUnpainted4.thumb.jpg.589ba57101865d53eef08f6c51d552c2.jpg

Some detailing needed such as door handles, brake linkages, a tidy up and then off to the paint shop. 

The problems with the printer caused a backlog in output from the wagon works, but now that some semblance of normality has returned, we can build the latest wagons.

First up, a basic carriage truck which were used in numbers on the network, but given the simplicity of them, I'm not aware of any definitive photos of a DSER version, so I used some licence to create my own.  As simple short wheel base with a single plank siding with drop down hinges on all sides.  Simple but needed in the fleet.

CTUnpainted1.thumb.jpg.d4f41c5ee09b392768eb1fa5acb213ec.jpg

CTUnpainted2.thumb.jpg.292c1917c1bf1b6de4888309b01403c6.jpg

Slight print error on the brake handle due to a lack of support during printing, easily fixed prior to painting; no real need to print another one just to fix this error.

From reading through Shepherd & Beesley book on the DSER it appears timber wagons were in big demand, and while new units were ordered from the UK makers, quite a few were repurposed from mineral wagons.  I have no photos of timber wagons from the DSER era, but searches through the HRMS records showed quite a few timber wagons made for other railways across the various networks, and the short wheel version all appear to be bolster wagons to be run in pairs.  It seams reasonable that the DSER would do the same, considering they were using repurposed mineral wagons; for me, it makes for a reasonable supposition. 

So with a little bit of work we get these:

TBUnpainted1.thumb.jpg.f6a85efd9006d612434c319cf8d51aa9.jpg

TBUnpainted2.thumb.jpg.13ffe957cb085614d9808e4efb63bb11.jpg

Obviously these wagons will be permanently tethered together to run as a pair with a timber load - haven't decided if I will use unfinished logs or go with the machined lengths, I can decide later once painting is complete.

So this pent up demand from the workshop has added a few new wagons to the fleet, much to managements relief!!

HorseboxinTrain2.thumb.jpg.3f0099dfed01388ac458278d18e8d3bf.jpg

HorseboxinTrain.thumb.jpg.79ebcd13e7dd48128f9042d917fba0bb.jpg

The brake van at the end will need its own write up as it involves multiple materials.  It is much needed as I only have one DSER brakevan at present and given the wagon stock has increased, there will be more demand on brakevans to make up trains.

More later as time and energy permits.

Ken

• Like 11
  • WOW! 6

35 minutes ago, David Holman said:

Amazing models. 3D printing is definitely going up in the world and the skills required to produce these are every bit as good as any scratchbuilding.

Yes with these 8k printers they are even better than IMP for resolution. Excellent results @KMCE and excellent CAD work.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

A little bit further on with the 3rd Brake coach.  Got some time to squeeze in a compensated chassis with a floating centre axle - I may need to add a little weight to the centre axle supports to ensure it remains put on the rails when negotiating points, but I can get to that as required.  Brake actuators were added along with the interconnecting rods to the printed brake equipment - easier to show than explain!!

ThirdBrakeChassis1.thumb.jpg.1a1d842d7be23450df52fee5b8a9e6ca.jpg

ThirdBrakeChassis2.thumb.jpg.180adc381c659bb102c62ebe17472e60.jpg

All tidied away nicely, and almost unnoticeable when the coach is the right way, but I know they are there!

ThirdBrakeChassis3.thumb.jpg.ab2af30bae4faa8eabd3511ea98118ad.jpg

Brake hoses, couplings, Gas tank, door handles and associated handrails to be added, but coming together rather well.

Anyway, all for now.

Ken

• Like 13
  • WOW! 1

4 hours ago, Flying Snail said:

is the brass chassis something of your own design

No - I use one and a half compensated wagon chassis kits as supplied by SSM.  I have tried many variations of compensated chassis but have found this one to be the best; easy to set up and works every time.  Challenge here was getting into the limited space between the frames - I had to beef up the frames to reduce the warping tendencies in the 3D print, which in turn reduced the internal space for the chassis.  A little bit of grinding was needed to ensure both the rocking element and middle axle could move freely.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst the energy levels are reasonable, I have had some time to work on the coaches and horse box to make up my short branch train.

The horse box got brake gear fitted, vacuum pipes, door handles, and couplings added to bring it ready for painting:

HBChassis1.thumb.jpg.22292b9ebe66f8adc17e14523888d189.jpg

HBUnpainted5.thumb.jpg.09000a65ccb343ae473ca64fbfc941e9.jpg

The third brake also got some additional work to the chassis to include a gas tank, vacuum pipes, and couplings which also brings it ready for painting.  Grab handles have been added, but door handles will be added after painting.  It may be necessary to remove the grab handles when it comes time for lining, but time for that later.

ThirdBrakeChassis4.thumb.jpg.7ace5464bb7bd738248be1558d878679.jpg

The 1st / 3rd Composite needed a reprint after discovering problems with the Mk 1 version. Some of the panelling was not present and the water storage tank for the toilet was not quite in the right place - some re-working of the 3D model and a re-print produced a much better model.  I have added a chassis similar to that of the 3rd brake along with gas tank, vacuum pipes, end handrails, grab handles, and couplings bringing it too ready for painting.  Painting all three together will hopefully ensure the train at least is the same colour!

1st-3rdCompo-Chassis1.thumb.jpg.930dd759aa05b491bf1afa120f2d4371.jpg

1st-3rdCompo-VirtuallyComplete2.thumb.jpg.6d54a02016b5e0376362d3ebb0c0c137.jpg

This all brings us very nicely to a branch line train with 1st and 3 accommodation with horse box in tow.  Add to this loco 423 (still incomplete, but nearly there) and we get a nice short train the fits within my 500mm limit for traverser storage.  I have limited traversers to this length as the layout I am building will not look right with trains longer that this keeping to the 1/3rd rule of train to layout.  The roof of the 3rd brake still needs tweaking slightly to get it to sit properly - as goes for the cab roof of the loco....

So in unpainted condition we have:

ShortTrain1.thumb.jpg.9d2bab2448f9af031526df685ef6bbed.jpg

ShortTrain2.thumb.jpg.bb4d6d317362153deb5f3fe303a64ca8.jpg

All for now and the next challenge is to get these through the painting shop without major difficulties - here's hoping!!

Ken

• Like 11
  • WOW! 6

• 1 month later...

After a little diversion into 6 wheel coach interiors, I have revised the 1st/Lav/3rd which now has corridors to allow all access to the toilets, so hopefully this is the last revision & I can get on with painting.

1st-3rdCompo-VirtuallyComplete4.thumb.jpg.f4d632a5929e6f47045c0832edfd24b9.jpg

The longitudinal partitions do not reach up to the roof level, as the roof includes stiffening elements which protrude down into the compartments, however with the roof on, this is not visible. 

There will be a lot of glazing to do once this has been painted, but that's for another day!!

Ken

• Like 12

As the 1st/Lav/3rd was a 34' coach built in 1907, the chassis and basic design was also suitable for No. 46 a 6 comp 3rd built in 1906 (withdrawn 1955).  Both coaches were built in the Grand Canal Works and it is easy to see the commonality between designs in terms of roof pitch, side panelling design, no over door louvres, etc.  Thus the evolution of No. 46 from No. 30 was quite straightforward

No46-VirtuallyComplete1.thumb.jpg.5104063fff117b9bc8a6bcf71d96b2fe.jpg

Panelling detail of 46 and 30 in the background right can be seen to be similar, so obviously no great rehashing of designs around the period!

No46-VirtuallyComplete2.thumb.jpg.13492fcecaf1144ff4f12fbc035f1c56.jpg

No. 46 in company with No 48 4 Comp 1st (28').  The roof profile is quite distinctive between the two showing what most consider the "DSER" roof profile, however I have found through my research that these high roof coaches may be in the minority - most coaches appear to have had the lower roof profile similar to other railways. 

Anyway, No. 46 still needs a few final attachments prior to painting such as the vacuum pipes and door grab rails.  The roof needs quite a bit of tidying up as there was excess resin overspill  which has left some material to be removed, but not a major hassle - easily taken off with a scalpel.

The plan would be for 46 to form part of a mixed branch line train with some goods wagon and a goods brake, pulled by what loco, we'll have to see later.

All for now, still a bit to do before these coaches get to the painting shop - not all will be GSR, some will be in DSER livery, namely; No.48 plus its companions, No.1 5 Comp 3rd, plus the Metropolitan 4 wheel brake 3 (more later on those).

Talk soon.

Ken

• Like 10
  • WOW! 2

5 hours ago, popeye said:

Did these coaches not have side steps?

Certainly for the models I'm showing above, they are correct compared to drawings and photos of the prototypes. From my research it appears quite a majority of coaches did not have the lower steps; trawling through photos and drawings so far I'm finding probably only 40% of DSER coaches had lower steps. 

I wonder perhaps is it a result of most of these coaches being used on the Harcourt St - Bray and Westland Row - Bray lines in scheduled commuter traffic through stations with full platforms?

Ken

• Like 2