NI Railways 3000/4000 Class models by CMAC models on Shapeways - anyone interested?

Rate this topic

So, as some of you may know, there is a designer on Shapeways, with the brand CMAC models, who manufactures fine, 3D-printed bodyshells, underframes, bodie sideframes and more. Their range is mainly 2mm scale but I have enquired about the CAF 3000 and 4000 Classes and whether or not they could be reproduced in 4mm scale. However, this would only be done with multiple expressions of interest. Would anyone else here be interested? Many thanks,

NIR 450 ‘Castle’ Class

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/cmacmodels?section=Northern+Ireland+Railways+C3000+and+C4000&s=0

(Link to the C3K/C4K range - currently in 2mm scale, I have been informed they might be scaled up if sufficient demand is present) 

• Like 2

Yes, I agree, it wouldn’t come cheap, especially to get a 3-car set printed. Resin casting would be less expensive but I think the seller will offer 3D prints only. Due to the accuracy of the CAD, I would probably fork out for one set but resin might lower the price significantly. Nonetheless, the product is the best you can get if you don’t want to repaint a Turbostar. I’ll look into it further.

NIR 450 ‘Castle’ Class 

• Like 3

It you can come to an agreement with a designer an Irish or UK based printing service with SLA capability is likely to be a better option than Shapeways.

https://www.google.com/search?q=3d+sla+printing+services+UK+and+ireland&rlz=1C1CHBF_enNZ752NZ752&oq=3d+sla+printing+services+UK+and+ireland&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.18285j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

SLA printing will produce similar results to plastic injection moulding and can be used to produce a pattern for vacuum casting (min vol 40 units) or small volume production. 

If you are unable to come to an agreement with CMAC, most locally owned 3D printing businesses should be able to recommend a 3D designer who understands the limitations of the technology and material and has experience in designing models and miniatures.

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 2
  • Informative 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick line to introduce myself as I am the person behind CMAC models. I have had a good bit of interest for the C3/4ks since I said I might do it so they have jumped up the slow moving queue and I hope that they will be in the works in the next month or so. There's a fair bit of additional detail that I would like to add before scaling them up and the surfaces need to be checked as well. 

As things stand, I am likely to only do these by 3D printing - I have investigated resin casting previously but when looking at the investment needed and the amount of interest, it does not look particularly viable. I have found a supplier that can provide me with resin 3d prints at a more reasonable cost than the shapeways 00 prints and whilst there is 1 less bodyshell, due to the additional length on the C3/4K bodyshells, I expect that they would work out around the same price as electrostars.

Thanks

C

• Like 5

Thanks - I will definitely bear it in mind as it is a notable class - I've a very varied collection covering Irish/British/Swiss/Austrian N gauge so as you can imagine, given the gaps in those ranges in N and 00/HO I have a very long to do list. I would need to track down a copy of the drawings for the 2600 as a starter before saying yes or no.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, m0rris said:

Thanks - I will definitely bear it in mind as it is a notable class - I've a very varied collection covering Irish/British/Swiss/Austrian N gauge so as you can imagine, given the gaps in those ranges in N and 00/HO I have a very long to do list. I would need to track down a copy of the drawings for the 2600 as a starter before saying yes or no.

drawings are available easily

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 25/10/2021 at 7:38 AM, Darius43 said:

Hello.  First post here on Irish Railway Modeller but I’ve posted a few times on the Irish Railways Group on RMWeb over the past few years.

I built a CAF3000 unit using the CMAC bodies earlier this year.

2ACE0BF1-D7CC-4654-9833-D38D71A6146F.thumb.jpeg.bd2c104b0620a270298deb7017d202aa.jpeg

ED628B88-46FA-449A-A5D8-BE77EF9BAC7B.thumb.jpeg.284fda6d22413f90345ad30d38925d67.jpeg

A90D6D82-41C2-488B-99C7-E8E17CC3D7FD.thumb.jpeg.fecdaea3394fb5c333ce79f37e8750be.jpeg

F838A7EC-BA1F-4E15-9BCB-513BEB0530A7.thumb.jpeg.a79e52a2438555d33a52faeb5a957ccb.jpeg

612CEE1E-1C0A-4F45-9582-A9EAFFC1D196.thumb.jpeg.07610c2ffaba37080cce1b4efec61527.jpeg

Cheers

Darius

Only seeing this now. Outstandingly good work!

• Like 3