Hornby ruston 88DS

Rate this topic

Westcorkrailway

44 minutes ago, K801 said:

you would think, been a shunting loco, the windows would be much bigger

Being an industrial loco maybe it was a protective thing, against flying beets in the case of Comhlacht Siuicre Eireann

Edited by NIR

Bit of fixing up and the ruston above could be looking like carlow number 1. considering that hornby have done the 48ds and the senital they may come out with a 165 varient

img_20180428_204437.jpg

Just now, Noel said:

Any 0-4-0 most probably might need 'keep-alive' capacitor to run over points without stalling

The 48ds comes with a flatbed wagon with pick ups if its a real issue, either way i think hornby can sort it for a new model in 2021

• Informative 1

8 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

I'm no expert, but i suppose these Rustons from hornby would be close enough to the irish sugar company ones seen at mallow, Thurles, and Carlow ect.

Slide103.JPG.77048ae80e7b9d6cd33e8fef25365e68.jpeg

Yes, and with model 071s, soon joined by A class locos - and Leslie’s corrugated open wagons, SSM or JM design guards vans, a whole model of a beet factory is now possible!

Now THERE’S a shunting layout!!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

I wonder would Hornby do the CSE livery themselves at some stage. I wonder are they even aware of the possibility. Easy win for them if they are releasing the model anyway. The Irish market is seemingly booming.

A plain green version without lining or lettering would be perfect for the Carlow 88DS in CSE service.

The loco was painted in an unlined mid green (body and chassis) with red buffers (Shank and head) the only embellishment was the Ruston plate above the radiator.

There is a 1960  colour photo of the loco in this condition in "irish Railways in Colour" a Second Glance Tom Ferris 1995. 

The loco later received gold Cómhlucht Siúicre Éireann lettering along the top edge of the bonnet.

My 88DS is based on a photo of the Carlow loco taken at Whitehead in 1980, but I chickened out of the lettering.

The loco was built from an etched brass Impetus kit when I was going through an industrial railway phase in the 1990s

I lost the photo and don't remember if the full size loco had a black chassis.

IMG_6943.JPG.598a0586f89653ff5e8ff759cac5e0d5.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mayner said:

The loco was painted in an unlined mid green (body and chassis) with red buffers (Shank and head) the only embellishment was the Ruston plate above the radiator.

There is a 1960  colour photo of the loco in this condition in "irish Railways in Colour" a Second Glance Tom Ferris 1995. 

I happen to have that book, very interesting livery. I think all the rustons in all the factories had slighly different liveries seen here with the 2 mallow locos

Screenshot_20210106-104824_Facebook.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/1/2021 at 12:25 PM, murphaph said:

I expect the answer is 'no' but did these ever get out of the factories onto the mainline at all?

No, indeed!

8 hours ago, NIR said:

That's something you don't see that often, railways close together on different levels

If you mean the pic above, with the viaduct in the background, the loco and wagon are not on a former railway premises - the viaduct is actually the closest place that ever had rails!

13 hours ago, K801 said:

How many 88Ds's were in Ireland?

Carlow had one - that's the one at Whitehead. Thurles had two. I believe Mallow had two, and Tuam had at least one. So that's six at least.

There had been ten steam engines - a vertical-boilered yoke at Carlow, plus the nine locos of the type at Downpatrick, so six diesels, plus the occasional borrowed "G" class from CIE, would be a reasonable equivalent.

8 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

I think anyway they stopped using them in mallow around 1987

Not sure about Mallow, but I think most were sidelined upon the introduction of the vacuum-braked 'double decker' beet wagons and the arrival of ex-CIÉ G Class locos to CSE sites in the late 1970s.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

1 hour ago, Garfield said:

Not sure about Mallow, but I think most were sidelined upon the introduction of the vacuum-braked 'double decker' beet wagons and the arrival of ex-CIÉ G Class locos to CSE sites in the late 1970s.

Indeed.

Exact dates are hard to come by, as a loco set aside might still be technically in use, and might even make a reappearance the following year.

A good general rule of thumb is gone by the mid 1980s.

A small industrial like a Ruston DS88 should be capable of running reliably on its own without a match truck, hopefully the new generation of Hornby industrial locos are designed to run within a realistic speed range approx 0-15mph for a loco like an 88DS.

A bit noisy my 20 odd year old Ruston runs on 21mm gauge and has a Tenshodo motor a 2 stage gear train improvised using gears from two different suppliers.

A number of modellers appear to have converted the Hornby Sentinel shunters to EM or S4 either by fitting replacement wheel sets or by fitting longer axles.

The Sentinels appear to have a keeper plate chassis which simplifies replacing wheel sets, though the dummy outside frames on the DS88 could be a problem for re-gauging to 21mm gauge  if they are cast as part of the chassis

Hornby Esso 4wDM Sentinel converted to P4 TJH04 6th January 2014 Copyright Tim Horn

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

My Ruston is especially noisey with a high revving Tenshodo motor and brass gears that don't mesh too well!

IMG_6966.JPG.a10df0a4be718002e05abb7b75c28be3.JPG

IMG_6964.JPG.0b8fda6dd98443c15ff5784c1807c5b4.JPG

I am sorely tempted by those Hornby industrials for a British outline industrial line Hronby appears to have done a good job with the Peckett steam locos and Sentinel diesel.

On 9/1/2021 at 11:08 PM, Mayner said:

IMG_6964.JPG.0b8fda6dd98443c15ff5784c1807c5b4.JPG

I am sorely tempted by those Hornby industrials for a British outline industrial line Hronby appears to have done a good job with the Peckett steam locos and Sentinel diesel.

They have done, good job too as a lot of these british indusrial locos you can pass off as irish industrial locos with a bit of tweaking here and there...or alot if you have 21mm layouts

• 2 years later...

A Ruston 165DS like the one in Tuam is possibly on Hornbys radar to “finish off the range” 

The hejian one also seems to have a different cab. Also heljians record as far as I know with quality models is not the best  

I may pick up an 88DS second hand or when the 2nd round come out. And modify to “Halfway vintage club” livery 

• Like 1