Philip's Workbench

Rate this topic

murphaph

6 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

i have an even better idea.

Next time he's down here, I throw the three of them off the balcony so he has to scavenge the fragments, first.

Giving him all of the pieces just makes it too easy. He needs to work at the next one.

Hang onto one of the wheels, and put a pebble, a walnut shell, an N gauge steam loco chimney and a piece of plasticard into the mix too, for the craic.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

048 making a recovery of sorts lol:

IMG_20230311_135322536.thumb.jpg.6bac65d110836a23d217952f4c01f104.jpg

A few oils have to dry and then it just needs a coat of varnish to seal it and it's done. I wasn't able to completely hide the crack without essentially painting it black and that would have been more noticeable. 

• Like 10
  • WOW! 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Yeah for the most part these things were kept pretty clean. The coach ends, especially the more exposed outer ends got grubby and the coach wash couldn't really get in there to clean them. The roof line above the gutter was cleaned by the washer a little bit so the roof requires a feather (masked high) when doing the dirt coat. I was kind of surprised at how black and sooty the louvres on the genny got but that's what the photographic evidence seems to show.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

36 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Yeah for the most part these things were kept pretty clean. The coach ends, especially the more exposed outer ends got grubby and the coach wash couldn't really get in there to clean them. The roof line above the gutter was cleaned by the washer a little bit so the roof requires a feather (masked high) when doing the dirt coat. I was kind of surprised at how black and sooty the louvres on the genny got but that's what the photographic evidence seems to show.

Yes, that’s correct - they often looked pure black. Same as steam engine domes, no matter what colour the thing was actually painted!

• Like 1

The best weathering is when the person weather's what he sees and not what he thinks it looks like. The masking is exceptionally good around the windows.

You have done the former Phil, nothing more needs to be said.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind words folks. You're right Rich, I think it may have been Ian Rice that said exactly that. It's sometimes very tempting to just "freelance" the whole thing and slap the grime on but it will always just look a little bit "off" when it's done like that. It takes a little bit of discipline to look at some photographs and only take aspects from those photographs and nothing else. The only thing I haven't found concrete evidence of is NIR roof patching but it was common on both BR and IR with these coaches so it's almost impossible to believe NIR didn't patch theirs to some degree. I just don't have that many images of NIR mk2 roofs and I suspect not many exist. If anyone has any, I'd be obliged if I could see them. I would never pass them on or publish them.

But I can't take credit for the window masking. I had help from my friend Mr. Laser Cutter 😉 It's a lot faster than using Maskol.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2