New models?

Rate this topic

217 RIVER FLESK

right okay fair dues to him, it would cost €200.00 excluding postage

but I could buy a Bachmann cravens DMU for €90.00 and simply give it a new livery.

It would be a far better detailed model and would cost quite a bit less.

I had the same thougt some months ago. The point is: You will have lots of detail that does not belong to the AEC Railcar but to the Cravens. Be it as Blaine said (which I don't doubt) or not, John improved the his Cravens in some points, for example he fits the covers between the bogies cover motor etc. on the real railcar. There are no similar covers on the Cravens. In my opinion its a big issue to add parts like these to a detailed model without make the added parts stick out as less detailed parts of the model. Besides that, respraying a Bachmanns Cravens set does not change the wrong windows and arrangement of doors and windows. Finally I think its not fair to compare the cost of an own respray with a model from someone like John from SFM if you don't take into account the (cost for the) time you need to do the respray incl. disassembly and reassembly.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering Bachmann have released the secr 01 and are due to release the LNER J17 ,LNER director, LMS 4f, GWR dukedog,

while also considering there hasn't been an irish steam loco produced by Bachmann/murphy models since the woolwhich/ncc jinty (which technically weren't Irish!).

What about a GSWR j15? 186 perhaps, or perhaps a GNR S class, Bachmann models are in the main stunning and (I find) more durable than Hornby locos.

If coaches were to be produced of the IE MK111's (not Hornby repaints) to the standards of the Cravens. I am sure that most people would agree that the Cravens are one of if not the best rtr coaches available in 1/76 scale. Correct Restaurant with the correct window and seating arrangements, correct roof equipment, electric doors at one end and slam doors at the other, and the EGV. I think that the tension lock coupler is beginning to look extremely dated at this time and it would be nice to see MK11 or MK111 models fitted with a knuckle type coupler between the rake. For those wanting to use a tension lock coupler between the loco and first coach they could still do that.

Rich,

i would like (and i cant understand that paddy didnt think of it when bachmann produced the RPSI coaches).... the no 4 jeep! very simular to the fairburn tank already produced.shouldnt take much adjustments to the tooling already done-(i know ...say it -' its not that simple!!':rolleyes:

Now that's my kind of wish/want list broithe,any chance we will see any of them!

I know nothing, but I suspect that there will be a steady evolution over the forthcoming years, subject to the prevailing economic climate.

If stuff that is made is bought in adequate quantities, then the future will be rosy ( or orange )...

RedRich, on the point of knuckles within rakes and tensions on the ends, I do the exact opposite. reason being, my layout has some tight curves and the closer knuckle couplings can lead to buffer lock, especially on the cravens I find, but on the ends I like to have them because they look neater on stabled rakes and on locos I think. it would be good if new models came with a set of each type of coupler

RedRich, on the point of knuckles within rakes and tensions on the ends, I do the exact opposite. reason being, my layout has some tight curves and the closer knuckle couplings can lead to buffer lock, especially on the cravens I find, but on the ends I like to have them because they look neater on stabled rakes and on locos I think. it would be good if new models came with a set of each type of coupler

I think that the vast majority of modellers are tired of looking at the gap between coaches that are coupled with tension lock couplers. Bachmann are on the right track with the coupling they supply with their MK11 models. It keeps the coaches tight, the corridor connectors almost touch on straight track, and move apart on curves. I understand and agree with your point on having tight curves, and space dictates the type of curves a modeller is forced to use. With wider curves things become a bit easier.

Rich,

Yeah, roco do that with their locos now. Very useful.

Its definetly possible but it would only work on lets say a bubble cement, were most will need multiple wagons for there use. I remember reading somewhere that the Irish oo guage market is 300 approx. With a break down of 65% in ireland, 35% rest of the world.

If we were to do it, it would have to be done right, not a copy of the MIR runs. Maybe a limited edition 071 to get us started and work from there. I know the n guage society in the UK do it

The only loco I can see that would be viable is the A class

It's a dangerous thing getting people on a web site to commit to anything. When MIR did their final runs of the Hunslet and Class 80 a lot of people on the last site committed to taking one when it came to paying for it they ran for the hills.

Couldn t agree more Anthony, there would be a need for a hefty upfront deposit. Also a more professional process would be needed.

In the past i have looked into this, we would need to have a company or a proper society before anyone from the manufacturing world would even sit down with us(not to mention a juicy cheque).

The only other option would be to work with Murphy or a retailer such as the ones that have done commission's in the past but bear in mind they wouldn t do it for free and would need a cut out of the sales.

Dapol and Heljan would be the only well known manufacturers who would go for it

Something like http://www.kickstarter.com might be a useful channel to use for funding such a project, but as Riversuir226 says, you would probably need either a society with an elected committee or an established retailer to back such a venture, before any of the manufacturers would even discuss such a venture. Dapol would be the most likely bet, or maybe Realtrack Models.

right okay fair dues to him, it would cost €200.00 excluding postage

but I could buy a Bachmann cravens DMU for €90.00 and simply give it a new livery.

It would be a far better detailed model and would cost quite a bit less.

O can we see your resprays that you have done please

You're looking at 100,000 euro up front before you get anywhere. Somewhere like this site is too small for such a venture. If there was a combined effort between ourselves, retailers and the model railway clubs around the country that may change but unlikely I would think sadly.

Another business model to look at is the likes of what Rapido Trains have done for small interest Canadian models; namely invite pre-orders and deposits and a deadline set say 1 year away. Receive enough pre-orders and deposits and you can then go to the production stage as the demand is there. If you don't reach the target then the product is clearly not in demand. This is a flawed system too as people will want to see the model before they buy etc. You would also need a trustworthy company to invite the orders (best bet, someone like Murphy Models) and the deposit payers to follow through with their orders.

Can't see either happening to be honest.

It will be interesting to see which direction the hobby in Ireland will take when PM retires. It will happen, and probably sooner rather than later. Heljan do seem to be looking at the more obscure prototypes and producing in smaller numbers. Their more recent form has been hit and miss, although their 4mm Hymek model is a beauty and is still held in huge regard by UK modellers. Anyone seen as a new player coming into the market will surely have to have cash up front as I can't see many Chinese companies offering credit to an unknown.

Rich,

It will be interesting to see which direction the hobby in Ireland will take when PM retires. It will happen, and probably sooner rather than later. Heljan do seem to be looking at the more obscure prototypes and producing in smaller numbers. Their more recent form has been hit and miss, although their 4mm Hymek model is a beauty and is still held in huge regard by UK modellers. Anyone seen as a new player coming into the market will surely have to have cash up front as I can't see many Chinese companies offering credit to an unknown.

Rich,

One or both of his sons will take the business on. As mentioned earlier €100k minimum is the starting point and the size of the market here would make it almost impossible. Some decent CAD drawings of any proposed model would no doubt get people to part with at least a 50% deposit. It must be money up front, as history dicates everyone is keen until it comes to parting with their cash. The market in the UK is massive compared to here, a good example would be the Kernow Class 205 Thumper DEMU's, a unit which only ran in a certain part of the UK, yet gained enough interest for a RTR model to be made by a major manufacturer in several liveries, albeit commissioned by a retailer.

The only model worth making would be the A class, with 6 basic liveries - but dont forget you would need 2 sets of tooling for original/re-engined with EMD headlight versions so that could well be €200k needed as people might not buy it if its not right - but then again people seem ok to part with cash for certain highly inaccurate models so who knows.

Re-liveries of existing models are of course cheaper (e.g IE Autoballasters) but the 3 major model retailers on the island simply would not be able to get the funding together to commission a RTR model. Im sure Model Railways are not the main earner for any of them (open to correction) but given the Model Railway only retailers that were here no longer exist its a case of make do with what is available/pending and appreciate it. If you have a six figure sum lying about and are willing to take the risk go for it :)

I wasn't aware Ed that his family would continue with the business after he retires. That's a very positive and welcome piece of news. I don't think that either of us could have predicted how far the Irish modelling scene would have progressed since we were on the old Yahoo groups. There used to be some good fun on one or two of them.

Rich,

I wasn't aware Ed that his family would continue with the business after he retires. That's a very positive and welcome piece of news. I don't think that either of us could have predicted how far the Irish modelling scene would have progressed since we were on the old Yahoo groups. There used to be some good fun on one or two of them.

Rich,

Its not set in stone, but its certainly the impression I got. Model Railways is a career for some, and certainly not the dream career many would make it out to be :)

I think every forum group goes through a period of natural evolution