Glenderg's Projects

Rate this topic

Glenderg

Thanks lads! Trying to get the end elevations sorted as we speak, so hopefully some photos tomorrow. The cathedral was 720 x 425 mm, about 200 mm high, and I did it for a friend. Took about 6 weeks. I have some ideas Shink about tinfoil and glue, which has blown my scratchbuilding mind in the last few days. A really versatile material what can do so much more than cover chickens and apple tarts.... yummm....:-bd

Richie.

Got this two weeks ago whilst heading north. Clean windows on the De Dietrichs too!

Then did the mockup for the rear with what used to be the front of Connolly shed, and I couldn't help it....

The arches will be bricked up :(( but just looking at the clearances between roads, it must have been a nightmare working there when it was a full day on shed! The round window up top will either be a slatted vent or the old broken disc CIE Logo. [ireland's Railway Past and Present, Dublin - Michael H.C. Baker - P64]

Richie.

DSCF4993.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

DSCF4993.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

Wonderful shot Wrenn. Is it from a book or from a collection? They really butchered the poor thing - blocking up of the lower window panes and poorly rejigged brickwork. And is that a cobbled together timber platform covering the point rodding? I'm guessing the colour scheme was that cauliflower/cream & green effort? Glorious photo, nonetheless - I'll rustle up some drawings after these exams.

Richie

Richie

Its a picture of a picture

The original is in a box somewhere in the MRSI

I saw it when we were moving from one premises to another to facilitate some repairs to our clubrooms

Should be able to dig it out in the next couple of weeks

Edited by WRENNEIRE

• 2 weeks later...

Off grid for the last few days with exams and such, but got a bit done Sunday night. The trusses have since been painted a mix of PVA and grey to firm them up and Balsa wood purlins will be stuck on tomorrow to firm up the roof. Anthony asked if it might be a kit possible with this building. I tried uploading a .pdf to have a go at but it was 120 mb! Connolly Shed is at 24 sheets and counting, not including reinforcement, so I doubt a kit is realistic, but if anyone wants one gimme a shout. I'd rather build another one than write instructions for many!

This is the rear of this shed, as the front used to be, blocked in with blockwork, the same "conservation" logic CIE have happily vomited upon many planning authorities in the interest of "progress".=))

Not sure if Grift is a single entity or many gobshites, but he's certainly tagged enough around Connolly to warrant recognition here! Incidentally, the "One Love" tag is from the bizarre graffiti seen on the carriage sidings in Connolly not so long ago.

Regards,

Richie.

DSCF5060.jpg

DSCF5059.jpg

DSCF5060.jpg

DSCF5059.jpg

Guest hidden-agenda

I am in awe that is Beautiful work well done and i am looking forward to seeing pics of it on a layout full of loco,s.

Stunning, just stunning. I don't care if I never get to build the kit, I just want it in my collection. You really have maximised just what can be done with modern PC tools.

Would you do a commission, particularly if it had commercial viability (small and thus easy to build and relatively generic?). Drop me a line!

Lads,

I'm absolutely floored by the responses! Thanks very much, it's appreciated.

Top class, I love the versatility of paper and card. Do you work it out in 3d cad first ( what software do you use?) or do you design on paper old school??

It's worked out old skool first, usually having a quite pint with a sketch book, to figure out how the real thing was put together, and then the best way to put a card version together. Then the brick counting/measuring/photo studying/trawling through planning files starts, and the drawings of the elevations done up in AutoCAD. Then there's a few prototypes to make, and when I'm happy with the process of assembly, I take photographs of the same brick or stone type, and fill in the drawings with it. That's done in Photoshop, and overlaid with dirt, muck, graffiti and signage.

[Prototyping and assembly process :(( of Attymon Goods Shed I posted on yuku]

@ Weshty - yeah by all means, commissions most welcome, whether it has commercial viability or not. Every building, whether a one-off or a "run" are put together with the same methods so that they are solid as a rock. If it's a kit that someone wants or the assembled item, there's no extra cost for being the first adopter!

Regards,

Richie.

DSCF5062.jpg

DSCF5062.jpg

Are you sure you don't have some kind of sci-fi shrink ray?

I bloody wish! I managed to screw up fairly nicely on the home stretch, but such is life.:confused:

Got the roofing on, and weathered, but I'm only fit for a small build after this! Minor tweaks to do, and she's ready for dispatch to a new home.:((

Regards,

Richie.

DSCF5081.jpg

DSCF5075.jpg

DSCF5074.jpg

DSCF5072.jpg

DSCF5081.jpg

DSCF5075.jpg

DSCF5074.jpg

DSCF5072.jpg