Glenderg's Projects

Rate this topic

Glenderg

The footprint of Anto's shed is 254 x 848mm so there might be some buffer crunch without a camera or some fancy LED activation. Though I doubt that any locos will be stood inside for too long!

I'd love the roof to be removable, but it's key to keeping the whole thing square and sound. There will be a fleet of Connolly mpd's shortly, but not one of them will be the same - even a steam era version. That's the one I'm most looking forward to!

Richie.

Might be a plan :) my version is only half size at nearly half a meter and I reckon I'll easily forget what's down the back :)

Stephen I got Richie to make mine with both ends open so I can run some locos out the other end and because it will be at eye level you will be able to look in at the lads working on the locos from both sides.

Are you planning to model a big station like Connolly on that part of the layout Anto? Wouldn't mind seeing a few pics or videos on that part of the layout :)

At the minute the shed will be off on its own with a motorised turntable on a 6' x 2' part of the layout. The station will be a small country one with single line entry and exit and a run around loop also there will be 2/3 full length sidings to take the likes of my liner trains etc. I'm just waiting on the shed from Richie before I do any track work hopefully not to long now. I will post some pics up for you soon.

Might be a plan :) my version is only half size at nearly half a meter and I reckon I'll easily forget what's down the back :)

You could always have a small whiteboard with the various roads on it & then you could mark on it the position/road of the various locos on shed

At the minute the shed will be off on its own with a motorised turntable on a 6' x 2' part of the layout. The station will be a small country one with single line entry and exit and a run around loop also there will be 2/3 full length sidings to take the likes of my liner trains etc. I'm just waiting on the shed from Richie before I do any track work hopefully not to long now. I will post some pics up for you soon.

That sounds great! Something like Ballina maybe?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks lads, and apologies for not updating the thread more regularly. I thought I'd post a few shots of smaller, and more detailed buildings that i've been working on the past while. It's nice to break away from super sheds and do some research!

Des, this is the badly damaged Malahide up close, lot's of changes to the way the model is put together since that version. Window mullions not made from card, don't let the cat sneeze on it, brick palette is less washed out, that kind of thing!

Then there is the bauld Ballykay - Hendley's grocers to be precise. I decided that the owner would be caught in a sort of timewarp of old hb and lotto signs, with a new one to keep current. A few last bits to go, but getting there!

real building - http://www.flickr.com/photos/tom-margie/1156505766/

Something a bit more rail related - not really based on any prototype, but very southern all the same. I've put more splay on the retaining walls and taken the blue out of the stone, so I should have her finished this evening.

Lastly, I'm working on the old old signal box for Amiens Street Station, a pristine version, and a version that may have survived, but with windows blanked out etc. Problem is I can count on one hand the number of photographs I have from books and Swiss Ernies collection. I reckon it was demolished in the mid 1950's, and I'm a bit stuck on the upper rear side. I know from photos that the levers were all to the font, so am I right to assume that the most [6] of the 8 bays to the rear would be blanked out and filled with token machines, naughty playtex calendars, stoves and that? I know someone tacked on a "convenience" at high level at the northern end, but that's as much as I know. If anyone can shed any more light on it, i'd be very grateful.

Richie.

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

DSCF5566.jpg

DSCF5565.jpg

DSCF5543.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

DSCF5566.jpg

DSCF5565.jpg

DSCF5543.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Things are mad busy of late, and I've a lot of you guys to thank for that, but I put the card away [mostly] for the weekend to work on a few other bits and pieces that I thought I might post up. It's been so long since I did purely "plastic" work, and I'd forgotten what paints did what, and what varnishes didn't do sod all. Very enjoyable process, but I can certainly say that Uncle Arthur's Restorative Tonic has nuked a few brain cells over the years and I'm a bit annoyed at how crap the human brain is in retaining useful stuff.

So this is the Corgi AEC Ergomatic Six Wheel Tipper in pristine condition. I confess here I don't have a driving license, and know less about trucks.

A friend picked it up at Dun Laoghire and I offered to repaint it. It looks a little more work weary than I'd imagine, but I'd like your feedback on the how to improve it. Have I over egged the pudding??? It's supposed to be part of CIE's Infrastructure Division. Does it need branding on the tipper panel too? Does it need to be finished in gloss varnish? This is an unknown world to me.....:P [Cat litter Ballast in the tipper]

Then there are the Spoil Containers that sit two to a 42' flat. I think I have Heirflick to thank for the initial photos that fired my interest:banana: I made up one some weeks ago, and another yesterday, but both are prototypically incorrect so I'm keeping them. The next lot will be "bang on". I don't have a 42' flat to sit them on - I'm on my third styrene prototype and they are more warped than Frankie Boyle's sense of humour, so I'll not show em here. The one on the right is the first one where Plastic Magic warped it, and on the left the sturdier one!

[Nevermind ol' dirty 077, she may be a crap resin mould but I love her!]

Moving on, I have to thank Garfieldsghost, Snapper, ttc0169, and thewanderer for all the info regarding the sperry ultrasonic container. I sat down and did a few hours to get the artwork right for it to make a prototype model to see if it was possible in 00 as a scratchbuild. Turns out, after building it, it's 8'6 not 9'6 as I originally thought, so this baby goes in the bin.

The next weekend I get to work in plastic again, which might be Christmas, I'll do her up proper, at the right height!

Richie.

DSCF5929.jpg

DSCF5933.jpg

DSCF5931.jpg

DSCF5927.jpg

DSCF5924.jpg

od hoveringham tipper.jpg

DSCF5929.jpg

DSCF5933.jpg

DSCF5931.jpg

DSCF5927.jpg

DSCF5924.jpg