Glenderg's Projects

Rate this topic

Glenderg

Gents,

Firstly, Seasons greetings to all and Secondly a big apology to a few members. I took up a job recently and it has destroyed any free time whatsoever. I seem to be in a loop of work, eat, sleep - rinse and repeat, 16 hour days with no overtime, so my sincere apologies to Garfield, Bosko, Dave, Wrenn, DartStation, Kirley, Anto, Tommy and Paul O'G for delays in getting stuff out. I'll bust my ass to get all outstanding bits distributed before Santy comes a knocking, or a few days later at the worst. I'll pm all concerned tomorrow with details of deliveries etc. and arrangements. But before my eyelids solder shut from lack of sleep I thought I'd post up a few snaps of Bosko's finished "Restoration Depot"

The rear end to make it a "fake" through and through shed.

DSCF6556.jpg

The Ventilation Hoods are made from plastic door stoppers, available from your local cheapy euro store.

DSCF6557.jpg

The gutters, flashing, parapets, and roofing are made from Schalanes technique of pressing metal to get the form, but this is ordinary tinfoil laminated 6 times and then pressed. It's remarkably sturdy once the glue goes off and given a lick of thick acrylic paint.

DSCF6558.jpg

I chose to do the roof finish by hand, otherwise the rooflights would have been obliterated, and I'm glad I parked the airbrush. The roof finish is done using the gauche method I posted a good while back using three colours and washing and diluting it each time. This is the effect of six washes, which started as wrecked and rusty, eventually toning down to dirty and poorly maintained.

DSCF6570.jpg

The rooflights were made by layering 8 sheets of ordinary cling film together, which produces this nice "fibreglass" look to it. Once in place, a lick of PVA over the top and it's as good as Wills plastic sheet, and a damn sight cheaper. I bunged a light in, and I reckon now is the time to grab some cheap fairy lights for this kind of lark. Need to blank out the light bleed at the wall plate, but that's not a stresser.

DSCF6573.jpg

The refuelling lines were painstakingly done with various gauges of wire and styrene strip to make the gantry, everything else is card.

DSCF6574.jpg

The whole thing has been sealed with three coats of matt varnish to protect it from accidental water damage so fingers crossed it will survive.

Again apologies to the members above, delays will be rectified as soon as humanly possible. Bed calls.

Richie.

Cheers Scahalane! No PVA, it squirts out all over the place when the foil is rolled with a lino cutting roller and takes ages (24hr+) to dry. I got some cheap french spray mount glue for 8.50 eu that does the trick. Laminated in about a minute. I cut the foil in strips of about 4 feet long and press the whole lot in one length. After a few hours the glue goes off and gives it enough strength. Individual sheets would put me in a mad house. Oh and keep the shiny side hidden and wash the hands or use gloves. Otherwise fingerprints all over it when you're done! I'll do a tutorial on it over the christmas? Richie.

• 3 weeks later...

The Christmas thing has been a welcome time to get stuck into a few projects, about 18 in total, and over the next few days I'll post the photos up. They're not all buildings either - there are a few rail projects in here too!

First up - some stuff that went in the post to Kirley - a few bits enhance his UTA era station...

DSCF6706.jpg

Entrance Canopy and Railside Canopy above.

DSCF6707.jpg

The underside that'll only be seen be spiders!

DSCF6708.jpg

Detail of the valances...hand cut....much craic...

DSCF6703.jpg

Little baggies of stuff are all the rage 'round the North Inner City here. Contents cannot be snorted!

DSCF6697.jpg

A scale GNR (I) enamel sign - I'll be posting these up shortly for all to print out. Nearly done.

DSCF6699.jpg

Two little freestanding double sided heritage signs for the platform. Even though Kirley Junction is in the UTA period, many stations would have left these in place until the late 60's and early 70's. Plus Man With Shovel approves....:P

DSCF6705.jpg

Anto sent me on this little number, so I added a backing and it'll be winging it's way north shortly. I have found a bizarre number of 96 inch posters, bus and train from the last 50 years, that will be part of the signage collection I'm going to post. Bus Eireann to Stena Lines to the most recent Irish Railfreight at Christmas poster....

This project has been going on for bloody ages - I had to clear out the camera..

Mr Bracken turned up at my door one afternoon with a pair of these in hand.

01.jpg

Triang "build it yer feckin self" numbers from the late 60's. "Gis a weedspray" says he "the 'aul wan", thrusting the box of chaos in my direction. Challenge accepted. Foolishly....

DSCF6365.jpg

The box claims them to be "Maroon Composite Coaches", totally unsuitable conversions to the Bredin Weedspray Coach, and a bit short, but they come apart nicely. Note Surgeons Saw to the right...

DSCF6366.jpg

I did up the drawings for this some time ago and posted it up somewhere around here, with prototype and 00 dimensions. Many thanks to Heirflick for the photos he posted, invaluable.

DSCF6367.jpg

A rough fit...

DSCF6368.jpg

Stuck to a 2 x 2 mm piece of styrene - past experience tells me to glue this with the toughest gear you can find. Flexing of the body after filler is applied to the joints is a recipe for disaster at painting stage.

DSCF6369.jpg

A quick tangent here - do not use the gunk on the right. They might smell the same, have the same consistency under finger, and be water soluble but that's where the similarity ends. You'd have more luck using cow dung as a filler and an easier time sanding it too than use this rubbish. I love a shortcut as good as a Maor at a GAA match, but this is a ditch to high to climb. I can't recommend Perfect Plastic Putty highly enough. Begone that lunatic Milliput stuff!

DSCF6647.jpg

The roof should have ribs more akin to the Stanier variety, to cover the jointing between the roof panels. I've used plastic strip to make that feature stand out. I could have used strips of insulating tape but it didn't have the depth I wanted.

DSCF6648.jpg

White primer to highlight the wobbly bits, and it's like me stomach after Christmas - a few additional unwanted lumps.

DSCF6650.jpg

Roof sat on top, and the window rails and mullions look really out of scale. Another run on the bacon slicer for a few of them lumps....

DSCF6651.jpg

A quick blast of yellow to see if it "has" the look. That's Vallejo yellow on it, and Humbrol RC 407 on the spoil container. The spoil yellow is closer to prototype..more sanding....

DSCF6666.jpg

The double container doors on each side had to be scratchbuilt, so what better time than New Years Eve? 6 Hours later all four were finished, using an acetate overlay on the drawings, so that all four were spot on. 0.3mm styrene rod and other bits were used to make the door handles and hinges.

DSCF6667.jpg

The "steels" had this beauty board type covering to cover the joints between panels, so finely cut Tamiya masking tape was employed. It's used to paint, so I superglued it down with a cocktail stick...

DSCF6669.jpg

New Years Eve, my house, mad craic altogether....:banana: Cutting out overscale 1960's window parts....

DSCF6698.jpg

Windows - WD40 sprayed on a clear CD cover and cut with a fine saw. Scalpel/blade only produces fine fissures, so a saw is a must. WD40 is handy to prevent scratching while it's worked, and a file used to round the corners.

DSCF6700.jpg

This is where she's at now. Windows fitted and masked off. This is after 9 coats of yellow, and more end sanding to go..Missing a hinge on a door...but it's beginning to look like a Bredin

Loads more tomorrow..

Richie.

Lads, thanks a million for the kind words - I'm genuinely humbled, especially seeing some of the vibrant layouts that are knocking about recently. Truly a very active and positive forum. Work has resumed once more in real life, and so has projects for many here - Garf's little project is currently under the knife - but in the meantime a teaser. In a state of some drunkeness friday/saturday morning I challenged myself to do Ballyvoile Viaduct "for the craic". Much craic was had -

DSCF6734.jpg

DSCF6736.jpg

It's nearly finished, and my mrs. is going to have a fit when she see's the finished article! God Bless the men of the Sunny South East, they built 'em big.

Richie.