Glenderg's Projects

Rate this topic

Glenderg

Guest hidden-agenda

Excellent work and long overdue to see the kind of stuff you get up to and may be you would consider doing a tuition thread.

Regards Gareth.

Guest hidden-agenda
Thanks all for the feedback. Happy to provide a tutorial HA but it would have to be something other than the flats - the drawings are commercially protected :(

However, you have the right idea, and i'm thinking about doing a tut on a 121?

I would,nt worry too much about the flats as Weshty will fill that gap in the future and i wish you every success with them but by all means do a 121 as i and others will look forward to seeing a model tuition thread on a diesel loco.

Lol, the 121 was/is a great idea. I built the cab, chassis, and main body yesterday evening but all the curved elements and strange angles double up the amount of styrene and chances of going off-plumb increase. None of the door panels or vents are done, kinda dreading that bit. It would make more sense to get it done as brass panels, with the curved joints made up by infilling with milliput and sanded down, but I don't think it would be feasible as a tutorial/group project. I'll post up the photos when it's finished, up on jacks or on the back of a low loader!

Off the top of me head I can't really think of an alternative.

R.

Richie, I was thinking of using an athearn sd 45 body cut n shut job, the sd 45 cab and small bonnet chopped off plus approx 2.5 cm off the main bonnet. The 121 cab would be a total scratchbuild and be placed in the 2.5cm were the main bonnet was.

There's a lot off suttle angles etc on the 121 which i only noticed when looking at the drawings v photos.

The chassis i feel would definetly be a scratchbuild or at a push a frateschi chassis.

I hadn't actually considered a running locomotive, more for pairing it up behind a 141 and using it as a test build for a second one which would be powered.

As for using a 141 chassis fran, it would be the right choice, but requires a cut n'shut. That's why I thought of a cheap class 20, with cosmetic bogie sides on, but the old ones had a die cast chassis... Are the railroad ones in plastic yet?

Any of the American sd 45 or sw1500 have little of their bodies that could be transplanted too and whichever strategy is used, it could be tiring and expensive... :SORRY:

I hadn't actually considered a running locomotive, more for pairing it up behind a 141 and using it as a test build for a second one which would be powered.

As for using a 141 chassis fran, it would be the right choice, but requires a cut n'shut. That's why I thought of a cheap class 20, with cosmetic bogie sides on, but the old ones had a die cast chassis... Are the railroad ones in plastic yet?

Any of the American sd 45 or sw1500 have little of their bodies that could be transplanted too and whichever strategy is used, it could be tiring and expensive... :SORRY:

Later Lima and current Hornby Railroad class 20s have plastic bogies. Hornby one has the best motor, DCC ready too. If you go upmarket the Bachmann one is a great runner, but it would be hard to hack up the chassis being diecast etc.

On one of the old irish sites a member used a bachmann cl 24/25 chassis on a B201 class by shortening the metal chassis, also a few British modellers have used modified bachmann cl 37 chassis for their cl 89 electric kits, i'm sure model rail covered it as well.

Its what i'm planning for my a class:)

Edited by Riversuir226

I hadn't actually considered a running locomotive, more for pairing it up behind a 141.

I'm liking, I'm really liking it......the 121/141 combo was so graceless yet so classic, to use your argot Richie, brutalism and functionality all rolled into one?

Edited by Weshty

On one of the old irish sites a member used a bachmann cl 24/25 chassis on a B201 class by shortening the metal chassis, also a few British modellers have used modified bachmann cl 37 chassis for their cl 89 electric kits, i'm sure model rail covered it as well.

Its what i'm planning for my a class:)

Keep an eye on RMWeb for chassis units. There was a 37 up today but it just sold. Been a few recently. Vitrains might be an option for you too. Their 37 is cheap and runs really well.

I'm liking, I'm really liking it......the 121/141 combo was so graceless yet so classic, to use your argot Richie, brutalism and functionality all rolled into one?

My odyssey with Irish Loco's starts with the 121's, frog marching cement bubbles from through limerick junction to limerick, as I struggled up the hill past Mrs Macs Post Office in Pallasgreen with weighty schoolbag on my back, worrying about Buntus the morrow, and how them lads in second class deserve a hidin next time football is on in the yard.

What's this?

Peering through the old cast iron bridge I hear it.

A horn up at Hill Street

Lads putting coins on the tracks again.

How they get home before me?

It's getting louder.

Schoolbag not so heavy.

I can see an outline of a kitten

the scary anticipation,

heart going,

kittens become a bloody tiger

clackety clack,

does no one else see this epic machine?

CLACKETY CLACK,

THUMP,

awesome momentum of this juggernaut,

snout like a greyhound on her

jesus this bridge is gonna give,

if my heart doesn't first

PAAAAAARP of the horn,

CARUMP,

CARUMP,

carump.

BOOM and the noise is phenomenal.

CLACKETY CLACK, clackety clack

Gust of stinky smoke and wind.

dart across the road to see the last as I blink into the wind.

and she's gone west.

silence.

but I think it was 24,

no could have been 21 it was hauling....

neighbours car approaching - "no I'm grand for a lift home"

scramble across to pick up the featherweight bag and wander off home, admiring the run down railway hotel alongside, wondering what it was like when the place was in full swing?

A violent imprint on my 8 year old mind that changed machines like that from inanimate objects to forever after being referred to as "she". Brutal and functional she was, yet elegant in an odd way, but who doesn't like a powerful woman every now and then to shake your bones, Des? Could be a life changing experience!

Richie.

Keep an eye on RMWeb for chassis units. There was a 37 up today but it just sold. Been a few recently. Vitrains might be an option for you too. Their 37 is cheap and runs really well.

I've a Vitrains 37 chassis (the boys managed to drive it off the layout after a 'planned' derailment, so the body is no more :) ) Drop me a line, will add it into that box!