Glenderg's Projects

Rate this topic

Glenderg

Top stuff as always Glenderg. Mk3's taken to another level. Your glazing solution is class it must be said. Wish it was around 2 years ago when I built mine, would have saved a pile of ahem... labour! One question... what do you use to 'glue' the acetate in place?

Cheers, Tom :tumbsup:

One question... what do you use to 'glue' the acetate in place?

Cheers, Tom :tumbsup:

Currently plastic glue from deluxe materials. It's fine tip stuck to the side of the frame and allowing cappilary action to draw it around the outside preserves any varnishing/finish. Bog poly cement also works, and both have survived the "knocked off the bench by the cat" test. Super pva and other clear drying glues dont grab the plastic, but i'm gonna give odourless superglue a go soon. Putting on the windows after all the finishing has been done is a daunting concept, but so bloody satisfying to take the model out of the "toy" range.

Cheers Barl! The plough drawings were furnished to the wizard of brass in co. Clare, so a brass one may be in the offing, my heads wrecked from building them in plastic! I'll have a few to spare in the next few weeks that i'll put up for sale if anyone wants a pair.

Richie.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No update on Ballyvoile at the moment, must set her up with some of the stock for a photoshoot at the weekend, and yes Rich, up to me oxters at the moment, but since I promised last night, and there's a nice "NR" buzz about I'd show what I've done with some bog standard Lima MK2's ala this donkey...

DSCF8694.jpg

A Client is developing a scheme for Connolly Station - not Bosko! - and he want's to recreate some of the stock that visited during 1984 period, so with Kirley's inspiration, I set off researching. Eight windowed tourist opens can be hard to track down, so we had to work with what was in the stock box, so first thing needed was the genny van, which had been earmarked for something impossible years ago!

DSCF8692.jpg

DSCF8693.jpg

At this point I added a styrene overlay, and cobbled together some roof detail - bit of painting, SSM custom decals, and some windys and

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

The same process was repeated for the buffet car

DSCF8711.jpg

DSCF8712.jpg

Window openings widened, and styrene overlay added and blended into the coach ends. Light skin of red at cantrail level...

DSCF8717.jpg

DSCF8718.jpg

Mid grey roof and blue strip added. The NR logo is a mask rather than a decal, for a smoother finish.

DSCF8727.jpg

DSCF8728.jpg

DSCF8729.jpg

A couple of others tackled in the same way

DSCF8697.jpg

A network southeast became 931.

DSCF8726.jpg

and with the canny use of some kitchen roll for curtains, another lima became a first class coach...

DSCF8725.jpg

I never really had either these coaches nor their livery in my headspace, mainly because they never ventured to deepest Munster growing up, but I have a new appreciation for them, and find them quite striking. Thanks for looking, more later, bit of brass kit bashing to show... :) Richie.

Richie this has been one of the most game changing pieces of modelling I have seen in a long time. The use of plasticard as opposed to brass is completely new to me as are the windows. In practice it works, and it works really well. You have changed my perception of what can be achieved with what you have been doing in the last year regarding coaches, I could see a package being delivered and on opening the package seeing the contents like I would see a well thought out kit which would be a pleasure to work with. I also think it will make this area pf the hobby more accessible to modellers who might be a little nervous working with other materials,.Which is a very clever idea on your part, and I am sure very welcome to the hobby.

Great work,

Rich,

Cheers lads, appreciate the comments. Brass can be a excellent in the right hands but to me it's hard work. Takes weeks to get the stuff from etchers, needs serious gear to roll ends, and doesn't like neither glue nor paint, but I can appreciate what the masters have achieved with rivet presses and soldering irons. I will make these available as "Minimum Kits" later in the year - cost is the same as the minimum wage for an hours work, takes an hour to apply, no etching primer required, and should re-awaken (hopefully) a few old airfix/limas in the cupboards. (and if people make a boo-boo, replacements can be provided in jig time) R.

Wonderfull Richie.I have been on that viaduct with track on it and with track

lifted and always found it a joy to look at.There is something magical about it.

The guy who took that photo David Parks told me he had a pass to travel on a few of the weed killer trains to Ballinacourty in the 80s and remembers traveling in the accommodation van with the door open sitting on a chair going across that viaduct.

Edited by enniscorthyman