Glenderg's Projects

Rate this topic

Glenderg

They say a picture is worth a 1000 words,your photos of your last six months work are simply stunning and capture your remarkable workmanship better than any amount of words.Really like the crane and the conversion of the 30 ton steel brake van to a 20 ton planked version.Can I ask,what width of planking did you use?

Great stuff,look forward to the next 6 months.

• 4 months later...

Ahem, let me pop in here and clear away some bloody cobwebs...cough....cough...

Hunslet, this must be the longest I've ever taken to reply to a post, but send me a pm, and I'll send you on the plastic overlay's for Des' brass. I've trawled through the styrene drawer and cannot find the sheet I used. Even better, I found an SSM Brake Van brass kit the other night by accident, so I might just make it up into a 20 ton, it's been that long!

Anyhoo, currently afflicted by plantar fasciitis, means I'm restricted to computer, I thought I'd post up some stuff from August. Yes. When it was sunny :(

Wrenneire acquired this beauty from some chap in the sunny south east, and asked me to "have a look".

DSCF7954.jpg

The only reason I'm posting this, is because this is one of the finest bit of scratchbuilt PW gear I've ever put my paws on. The original build looks great, in need of a few decals perhaps, and some weathering - PW equipment is never clean. But it's a credit to the original builder. I added a few wires, decals, and repainted it, but I'd love to meet the author of the original. Top stuff.

DSCF7955.jpg

So I've left everthing pretty much as is, and decided to weather it. This is using an acrylic wash of gauche paint heavily laid on.

DSCF7956.jpg

Mucky bird, eh?

DSCF7958.jpg

I let the watercolour dry and let the paint seep into the nooks and crannys. It looked proper awful when dry.(gauche never dries) I took a wet clean brush to the paint on the right hand side, and wiping it on a towel, took off lots of the dirt. The one on the left is still "full on" the one on the right, "CIE clean" for want of a better description!

DSCF7960.jpg

Going in the right direction, says I, and I give it a spray of Warhammer Space Marine Teenage Angst Spray Sealant, or plain old sealant from Games Workshop. The stuff is expensive, about €15, but it dries in 10 seconds. The downside being that you have to pretend you are painting a dwarf in order to get the **** from a spotty 14 year old. A quick spray locks in the watercolours - they will never budge.

DSCF7962.jpg

I added a second layer so pick out the detail, but no airbrush was used at all. I'd love to have this wagon for myself, I think it looks unique and wonderfully dirty, and I'd like to think I did the original builder justice.

DSCF7967.jpg

DSCF7968.jpg

Over the weekend, I'm hoping to do a post about how to/not to screw things up. I've done it so often, it may be of help to scratch and kit builders. Binman is sick of carting failed projects away, and I've the photos to prove it!.

Richie.

That's a great build, and the weathering makes all the difference. Can you tell me what this machine was used for?

The two machines on board the wagon are Donelli track-laying gantries. They're stored sideways on board, and when ready to be deployed they are pivoted, and then their legs drop onto temporary rails on either side of the railway track. They can then move up and down the track-laying train, picking up new track panels and putting them in place, while also loading old panels.

Thanks lads but i cant and wont take credit for the wagon. Thats mr anon in the sunny south east. All i did was add some dirt and detail. A fine piece or work it is .The donelli cranes would make a nice simple addition to dessies 40 ft flats though! (Listenin Des?)

Modest as usual Richie, great work man on the weathering I love it.

Rich,

Jaysus. Mighty tasty weathering there Richie. It's a fine looking model. Well photo'd too.

42' flats is it eh? Only two weeks to the test etches back in my grubby little paws.....and all the other lovely schtuff. :)

Des you don't know how happy that makes me. I shall be counting the days.

Rich,

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Glenderg,

I came across this thread for the first time this weekend, (still sifting through all the information the site has hidden away!!). Like a good book it was hard to put down and after a few pages I knew I was going to catch up quick. I felt compelled to post to say what an amazing portfolio of buildings etc. that you have documented. Will look forward to the updates now.

Like many more who have posted, I felt inspired to give it a go as well, so popped into Easons and I am now armed with card ready to build.

Like any beginner I have a few questions though. Are there any YouTube clips you would recommend to a beginner? Do you sell on (or donate:cheers:) your own drawings? What's a good glue to use? What do you use to support your structures (I ask this because it felt from your posts like the card was 1/4 inch thick :rolleyes:)?

Or just any general advice to a beginner would be most appreciated.

Keep up the good work, thanks

Hey Timmy, glad you like the content, and thanks for the kind words.

The first thing you need I suppose is drawings, and I'd be happy to do up drawings for you of a specific building if you want and stick em in the post. Usually about two pints and a bag of crisps, p&p included. All scaled to 00, so you just have to glue them to the card, and cut out the windows, doors etc. PM me, and we can sort that out fairly easy. Next thing is the card itself. Sounds like you got the right stuff from Easons. 5mm foamboard, whilst a bit pricey, is the best for a beginner to use for backing material as its easy to cut. Most buildings I did early on had no internal support, they were just designed to have self supporting strength.

As for glue, UHU or ordinary PVA is best starting off, as it allows for a bit of adjustment if things are going pear. When you get confident and want instant adhesion, Deluxe Materials Card Glue is second to none. When you have main building panels set up, try and do it so the card junctions are hidden by stone quions at the corner.

For roofing materials, I always build a balsa wood roof truss, overlaid with 1.5mm mounting board card. Thin strips of roofing coloured card are overlaid, to create the same effect of a slate roof, which can be very effective. Chimneys are usually built up with balsa, sanded with 1200 grade wet and dry and painted. Chimney pots can be made from all sorts - bic biro ink tubes to tops of the pens themselves. Gutters and downpipes can be made from cutting bits of a kitchen sweeping brush and given a run with a permanent black marker before stiking to the side of the building.

The key to a believable building is layering of detail, like an overlay strip at the bottom for the plinth, or extra strips by the gutter to build out the fascia boards. Cills and convincing doors all add. Cheapest way to make windows is to get clear plastic and lay it over a drawing. Cut white insulating tape into tiny strips and lay it over the plastic. When it's all finished, it can be painted with Humbrols Gloss Varnish, which acts like a glue.

Doors can be made by making one out of thick card and impressing turkey foil into it, then painting.

Oh, the most basic one really is to make a thick floor plate at the start, preferrably on 1.5mm mounting board - Easons do it. I have two substantial buildings on the workbench at the moment, and if I get a chance after wednesday, I'll do a blow-by-blow!

Richie.

• 1 month later...

Jaysus is right! I've been scratching away for the past couple of years to try and build up a collection of stock, and I love scratch-building, but holy cow Glenderg, the standard of work and craftsmanship is on a different planet to the rest of us- amazing!! I'm especially upset by the donelli cranes, because I've had a go at scratch building them recently but Jesus they look dog rough compared to the one you weathered! No seriously, brilliant work. I hope you don't judge us mortals too harshly when you see our efforts!!

• 4 weeks later...
Jaysus is right! I've been scratching away for the past couple of years to try and build up a collection of stock, and I love scratch-building, but holy cow Glenderg, the standard of work and craftsmanship is on a different planet to the rest of us- amazing!! I'm especially upset by the donelli cranes, because I've had a go at scratch building them recently but Jesus they look dog rough compared to the one you weathered! No seriously, brilliant work. I hope you don't judge us mortals too harshly when you see our efforts!!

Cheers Eamonn and Dave, but I can't take credit for the donelli's. I've since done some research on them, and have enough info to have a go at my own version, so we'll see how that takes shape. But since we're on topic of "yella tings"...

On one of his visits before last Christmas, Wrenneire brought along a Dapol Track Cleaner.

b800_1__20853_zoom.jpg

"Can I do something to it, to make it a bit more Irish?" says he. Had a snout around in the Per Way folder and decided I could cobble something together if I stole bits from about 4 different vehicles. So the first thing to do was put a wrap on the "hoover" bag bit of the wagon. The mesh has been darkened with black permament marker to leave the mesh intact.

DSCF8368.jpg

Masking off, again to protect the mesh, to get a squirt of yellow on.

DSCF8369.jpg

The side panel design was extended either side left and right, but I felt that this odd piece of stock at least needed a cab if it was to be towed around a layout. So again borrowed heavily from the Plasser & Theurer design book, this emerged.

DSCF8371.jpg

Once completed, I gave the thing a quick spray, and put it up against the basic shell of 742, a proof of concept model more than anything.

DSCF8373.jpg

The naked area of the roof and lack of detail throughout is now obvious and time to raid the bits box. Damned bags of prestwin spare parts are everywhere, so liberal use was made of them, along with bits of other kits.

DSCF8376.jpg

I detached the cab at this point to let the above dry and sort out the underside of the cab. Since it's got an extensive overhang over the front bogie, the real vehicles seem to fill up this area with equipment and sensors, so coupling hooks, brake levers, pipes and valves from the prestwin were all employed.

DSCF8377.jpg

At this point she looked like this....

1391013470523.jpg

1391013498334.jpg

and my bloody workbench is running out of space. Need to clean the thing up pronto...

1391038879996.jpg

Anyhoo, because there are a lot of panel lines and joints on the vehicle I wanted them to "pop" and give her a lick of dirt, but not too much. IE's Per Way Stock generally tends to be quite clean.

DSCF8379.jpg

A mix of payne's grey and a muck brown gouache mix was applied to the top and the panel joints at the side, and allowed 5 mins to dry. Using a large chisel brush, clean water, and kitchen towels, I reactivated the paint and took off as much as possible. When I was happy with the finish, it was sealed with Games Workshop Gloss Varnish spray. Decals were a mash of homemade, weshty's, a panavia tornado kit, and an ME109.

DSCF8386.jpg

DSCF8384.jpg

Hope it bloody well works now! Richie.

DSCF8385.jpg

DSCF8387.jpg