Glenderg's Projects

Rate this topic

Glenderg

The viaduct is really nice! What sort of coach is that with the heating van?

A poorly repainted non-irish lima mk1 corridor something. It's something i painted by hand about 15 years ago, and i used white insulating tape for the stripes. They came off easy even afterall this time! It's only waiting for the brake fluid sheep dip!

Pat, it might be small, but it's a beaut, Blood & Custard colouring aside! All you have to do is pop in an interior kit. Roof removable for light etc.

R.

That's the first time I've seen the viaduct modelled Richie. The prototype is a magnificent piece of engineering and building. The model is faithful to the prototype and should please Eamonn when he sees it as it is a line he is very fond of. When you see a model of a particular structure that you see quite often it makes you see the prototype in a different light. It's given me a huge amount of satisfaction, and thank you for sharing it with us.

Rich,

• 4 weeks later...

Evening All,

Just a quick update, the battery on the camera died, so I've to go and charge her up before I can get some more photos of buildings, but in the meantime, a few shots of the SSM Sulzer Kit a client asked me to build for him.

DSCF7104.jpg

As recieved, and I wasn't mad about the roof detail, since you'd spend most of the time looking down at it, so I cut the central part of the roof off, finished it flat, laid balsa, sanded to profile, and added a sheet of styrene on top.

DSCF7109.jpg

I drew up the demountable panels on the roof and stuck the drawing to some styrene, and using a needle punch, made up the rivetted panels. I butchered a lovely old compass to make the circular trim for the exhaust.

DSCF7110.jpg

I chose not to go the CD cover route for the grilles, I find cutting that stuff painful, so I scored some thick styrene instead.

DSCF7111.jpg

I wasn't mad about the windows on the front, so I cut em off, and I made a little set of braces so I could get the bevel on the front beneath the windows.

DSCF7113.jpg

New windows added and a bit of filling/sanding x 3 to go...

DSCF7115.jpg

Braces back on to get that bevel!

DSCF7116.jpg

I'm between worlds as to whether or not to re-do the tablet catcher recesses with the bevel. She'll be finished as B105 in this livery here, though slightly more workstained.

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway%20Stations%20D/Dalkey/slides/Dalkey_20101126_001_CC_JA.html

It's an enjoyable project so far, but I'd like to get her on a chassis while she's still unfinished. It's been a new way of looking at the sulzers, I hadn't given them much credence as locos before. Must dash.

Richie.

cheers lads. des, i think ispent more time on fools errands like making grilles from styrene sheet than anything else. the way i lookat it, it's a really good kit to do a bit on, work on something else and come back. any recommendations on glue other than superglue? me fingertips are raw! richie

• 1 month later...

A transaction recently took place in which I took possession of one of Glenderg's latest creations. He handed it over amid much cursing and referencing to numerous attempts to get it right. I got the feeling he won't want to make another one in a hurry!

Will post photos when I get a chance. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words on Garfields Signal Box. One thing that wasn't mentioned was that it completely comes apart so Garf can get a custom interior into it, or lighting. Getting it all to work was a bit on the tricky side and the red still spooks me.

I got the SSM Brake Van Kit from Des some time ago, and had a few hours over the weekend so I thought I'd put it together. This is my first brass kit so I thought I'd show how straightforward it is.

First off, I bent the etch. Good start.

DSCF7336.jpg

Then I numbered the parts with a CD pen so I wouldn't have to flick the instructions sheet constantly!

DSCF7337.jpg

I assembled the basic parts really quickly and mixes a batch of burnt umber, cadmium red acrylic, some white and black ink. There might even be a blob of yellow under all that.

DSCF7338.jpg

Base colour on, and a dusting of pencil dust on the veranda pieces. These would be impossible to weather when in.

DSCF7339.jpg

Using watercolour gouache paint, I made up a wash and liberally let it run into the grooves.

DSCF7340.jpg

It starts to pick out the detail nicely.

DSCF7341.jpg

Once happy with the wash, a quick spray of matt varnish to fix the colour.

DSCF7342.jpg

Splotches of more gouache, and washed down again.

DSCF7343.jpg

Filthy. Yum.

DSCF7344.jpg

The roof was formed with styrene, and held in place with dressmakers pegs.

DSCF7345.jpg

Two sheets of light styrene, finished with acetate - the type used for overhead projectors. I used this for the finish because it bends on the axis you need and is better than styrene which bends everywhere. It gives a uniform curve to the roof. I didn't prime the roof because I wanted the white to do some work..

DSCF7361.jpg

Random! Two more vans underway with the same technique.

DSCF7362.jpg

The finished item with sun blushed rusty roof.

DSCF7363.jpg

When it'll make it's inaugural trip across Ballyvoyle Viaduct is unknown, but that's what this is all building up to..!

DSCF7364.jpg

G'Luck

Richie.