Glenderg's Projects

Rate this topic

Glenderg

So this is the Corgi AEC Ergomatic Six Wheel Tipper in pristine condition. I confess here I don't have a driving license, and know less about trucks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2413[/ATTACH]

Ho the good old days.(1970's)

I used to work on these vehicles.

AEC Mercury I think with the 505 engine, one of the first tilt cabs.

They ran out of Lowdham in Nottinghamshire.

The Mammoth on the side is there logo as they found the remains of one at Lowdham (I think)

Great to drive, good gearbox and power steering was a luxury in those days.

The wipers worked on air pressure controlled from an air valve next to the sun visor.

A very good work horse.

6 Speed crash gearbox.

Wiggy.

• 1 month later...

Evening All,

Been steadily working away on multiple projects since I last updated this thread. Had a break too, but when I got back I made an effort to finish some projects that have been sitting around for a bit. Then there are other projects I can't post up photos of [just yet] but they will be in the flesh at Raheny hopefully.

So first up is the Amiens Street Signal box that I had started two pages back. I've the brackets done for the walkway, and a test piece made from balsa and brass wire. It's going to be a bit of a challenge completing that part, along with the stairs, but it will be worth it. I've done a bit of internal detailing, and am finishing up token machines etc. but I'm bunched on the levers. I'm on my third idea now, and getting a bit frustrated... The base is for the derelict version and the cabin is for a pristine version.

Right across from it in Connolly Yard, there is a little buff brick building that was probably a staff room or office prior to the large extension to the rear of Connolly Shed. It's quite a cute little thing but a bugger to get the windows right.

The there is the water tower I showed last week with the rust "tutorial". It's going on Bosko's layout along with the one from the LMS yard. I need to add the plunger mechanism to both. IF anyone has a photo looking into a water tower I'd be grateful to get a copy. The LMS yard tower...

and the tower from Connolly Platform also... [it was a Kit Kat ad originally, but I thought the darkness of the guinness ad was more in keeping with look.

Lastly, there's a station building for Kirley Junction, or a restored Navan Railway Station. I have to say this was a really satisfying piece to build, and since Kirley's modelling era is CIE/UTA onward, we decided that there would be little or no signage on it. There was a beautifully detailed canopy out front, which will be hopefully added as etched brass when I'm doing the same for Malahide shortly.

So now I'm off to finish 40 odd containers for a container port and re-spray another truck of some description!

Richie.

DSCF6346.jpg

DSCF6345.jpg

DSCF6343.jpg

DSCF6342.jpg

DSCF6356.jpg

DSCF6361.jpg

DSCF6359.jpg

DSCF6348.jpg

DSCF6347.jpg

DSCF6364.jpg

DSCF6363.jpg

DSCF6362.jpg

DSCF6346.jpg

DSCF6345.jpg

DSCF6343.jpg

DSCF6342.jpg

DSCF6356.jpg

DSCF6361.jpg

DSCF6359.jpg

DSCF6348.jpg

DSCF6347.jpg

DSCF6364.jpg

DSCF6363.jpg

DSCF6362.jpg

Thanks all.

Unfortunately Broithe I have quite a lot of signal boxes to do, and so shelling out £15 for an internal kit more than doubles the cost of the finished article. I've offered after-market before, and no-one has plumped for it...!

Kirley, I've seen your layout thread, and it's lining up to be a first rate layout. Buildings only do so much for a layout. The rolling stock and railway operations create the atmostphere;)

Richie

Unfortunately Broithe I have quite a lot of signal boxes to do, and so shelling out £15 for an internal kit more than doubles the cost of the finished article. I've offered after-market before, and no-one has plumped for it...!

I could see that coming. To be honest, the kit is hardly worth that, they need a good bit of fettling to sharpen them up a bit, but are maybe worthwhile for doing a one-off small box. A better approach would be necessary for work on your scale and to your standard. Would a brass etch be the answer for levers..?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2168[/ATTACH]

To quote Smoke Robinson (or Japan...the version I know) I'll second that emotion!

Stunning, stunning work.

The Malahide brickwork would make you swoon.

The bridge is masterful. I was considering releasing a plaster of paris version, but this.....

And to put the tin hat on it. Hendleys!

Who's looking for brass etched levers eh?

Cheers Weshty, but that bridge was a nightmare. Resin/plaster is definitely the solution! gimme an industrial girder bridge any day!

http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Smiths_Components_for__OO__.html

They do them for a tenner, but that's a joke frankly. This is my method so far using garden ties... painful... a lot of trimming and fiddly bits...

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

Truly necessity is the mother of invention. Nice one! I'll throw a batch pf levers on my next etch and they'll be there if you want them...

For the bridge, plaster of paris will be my way to go, simpler and cheaper than resin. I will also be doing a brass girder bridge with plaster buttressing. I will likely provide the bridge parts prepainted.

Edited by Weshty

Richie the three dimensional look of the finished models is among the best I have ever seen in printed modelling. I can't praise you enough and I really appreciate your talent at architectural model building. The standard in the various fields of modeling from our members is very high here and very inspirational.

Rich,

Richie the three dimensional look of the finished models is among the best I have ever seen in printed modelling. I can't praise you enough and I really appreciate your talent at architectural model building. The standard in the various fields of modeling from our members is very high here and very inspirational.

Rich,

I couldn't have put it better myself. Truly fantastic work Glenderg =D

Hi All,

Have to say that when I first read this thread way back, I genuinely could not believe my eyes to see Connolly Shed in miniature, it was incredible.

The workmanship that went into these kits including the one for Anthony was amazing. It really deserves congratulations to Glenberg, I don't normally comment but this merits major praise. The use of technology, camera shots, cutting edge computer and printing equipment, structural design and so on have all been brought to this work by Richie.These latest buildings further add to what is fast becoming an impressive collection of buildings.

I don't comment on the site that often, but you got to marvel at how far the irish model railway scene has come with all of these innovations and expertise.

As we all know, any really authentic layout is a combination of all of the following components below:

1) imaginative track plans which allows for different stock movements to take place (you got to put the time into planning this to get it perfectly right);

2) realistic quality track which we now have with the innovations from pecco over the years;

3) DCC which gives us all types of options to work the stock;

4) Paddy Murphy, MIR, David Kavanagh, Silverfox, Irish Freight Models, Jim Poots with irish buses and others with there fantastic additions to RTR Irish stock

5) and finally the missing part to all of this - Glenberg's (Richie's) real life chunks of irish life in miniature with these wonderful buildings

It is now possible to replicate almost anything in the Irish scene on a layout (only problem left is getting the space! Maybe NAMA can help us with this!). Think back lads 25 years ago. I remember walking around the RDS looking at the kit built irish model 141/181's on what were for there time amazing layouts. It was a combination of amazment and disappointment at the same time that no matter how hard you tried you could never achieve this at home.

Fast forward to Raheny this weekend and now anything is possible in Irish model railways for the regular modeller. Would you have ever have guessed all this would be achievable back then? This shows the major leap forward for the hobby here and should really help to recruit alot more kids into it and ensure the future of the hobby as we get older! So well done Richie on a fantastic job and completing a very important link in the chain. I hope we see Glenberg Models formally launched very soon and you go into production on all types of structures!!

Cheers

GM071

Thank you sir, I appreciate that immensely. Glenderg Models will formally launch in the new year. I'm giddy about an enormous pro/digital cutting machine arriving from the UK thursday which will enable a 90% reduction in turnaround of kits and one-offs, and without the support of the generous members of this forum, I couldn't have bought it.

Richie

[p.s. you forgot to mention des@SSM, provincial wagons, an' baseboard dave's contributions! :P]

My apologies to Des aka Weshty@SSM(topclass!),Leslie Provinical Wagons, Baseboard Dave, plus if we are including all, the lads who run the forum - the social media revolution which is also a major educational leap forward to get the message out!

Cheers

GM071

Thank you sir, I appreciate that immensely. Glenderg Models will formally launch in the new year. I'm giddy about an enormous pro/digital cutting machine arriving from the UK thursday which will enable a 90% reduction in turnaround of kits and one-offs, and without the support of the generous members of this forum, I couldn't have bought it.

Richie

[p.s. you forgot to mention des@SSM, provincial wagons, an' baseboard dave's contributions! :P]

I think architectural modelling has always been at the pinnacle of the hobby, and people like Richie must do a lot of research before starting a project. What starts out as a blank canvass and an idea comes alive. Plenty of manufactures produce products that all look the same when built but no two of Richie's models are ever the same, they are unique.

It is the one part of the hobby where most people fall down. There are many kit's or ready to plant buildings available and that is because it terrifies a lot of modellers. and that's why the card kits, plastic kits, or ready to plonk kits are mass produced. I went to Pendon many years ago and I was mesmerized by the quality of the buildings which are over forty years old. I wish Richie all the luck with his new investment. His genuinely good nature and modesty deserves mention also.

Rich,

• Like 1

Richie

my Man!!

Very best of luck on your new venture. Given your quality so far and the popularity of your posts, I figured it would only be a matter of time before you went commercial proper.

I look forward to getting a few kits.

As some of the other posters have commented, we've come a long way in the last while in terms of availability of quality Irish themed goodies.

• 2 weeks later...

The Ballykay landmark buildings are spot-on. If I close my eyes, I could almost be standing in Avoca. Hendley's stands out, 'cos when I walked out of the shop, I forgot the steps were there and almost fell down them :facepalm:

Irish model architecture has clearly gone from famine to feast in a very short space of time. For years there was virtually nothing on the market, and then "Glenderg" comes out of nowhere with his work and everyone's suddenly spoilt for choice! :-bd

Any chance of Ennis or Claremorris stations appearing in the Glenderg range?

As the head Councillor of Ballykay all brown envelopes have been received.....

"The money was just resting in my account...." :ROFL:

Edited by Horsetan