Glenderg's Projects

Rate this topic

Glenderg

• 4 months later...
I saw that first unpainted E class in the flesh, a really crisp and tasty model. The detail is just lovely. It was also the other way around so easier to view too...

Amen to that, so could someone please turn those pics so I can view them the right way up on my IPad as I'm loosing my patience very quickly

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18394[/ATTACH]

A Jasus....have just wet myself looking at her! fine work as always!

That's one of your Shapeways things you dropped up to me :)

Lovely stuff Richie! Any ideas on how to power them? Gotta love the E's, and I dont mean disco biscuits that were legal last week!

Hollywood Foundry chassis, fran. Beautiful smooth runners, though a little bit tricky to figure out a mounting strategy.

I saw that first unpainted E class in the flesh, a really crisp and tasty model. The detail is just lovely. It was also the other way around so easier to view too...

Cheers Des. Sorry about the orientation (cheers JS) - one would have thought with smartphones knowing which way up to take the bloody photo, it could also recognise how to post the thing correctly. Back to the old Fujifilm so.... R.

It can't be stressed how important this work is. To have a member on this site that shares this kind of work with us will surely drive and inspire others to achieve similar results. I know Richie's focus is driven by a desire to achieve results that aren't always in the mainstream. The materials and practices that he uses is what makes the models so unique.

Fantastic work again Richie.

Rich,

Let there be light

Amen. Nice PP Kirley, and you didn't even have original RAW files. There are some on here with really top class modelling skills, but their photography skills may not be quite at the same high level. :) At least these two pics of models are sharp in-focus unlike many others posted on the forum. My two bug bears are 'soft focus' and upside down images - giving me a headache. Tongue in cheek! :)

Just as an aside Richie, would Hollywood Foundry produce a chassis in 21mm.

Rich,

If you order directly Hollywood Foundry & Steam Era Models (Black Beetle) will supply a rtr 21mm gauge chassis/motor bogie to order.

I have a 21mm gauge E421 with Shapeways body on a Hollywood Foundry chassis & have used 21mm Black Beetle bogies to motorise a railcar.

If you order directly Hollywood Foundry & Steam Era Models (Black Beetle) will supply a rtr 21mm gauge chassis/motor bogie to order.

I have a 21mm gauge E421 with Shapeways body on a Hollywood Foundry chassis & have used 21mm Black Beetle bogies to motorise a railcar.

Thank's John I bet it's a looker and smooth runner. Any pics of it in action if you have some spare time would be appreciated.

Rich,

Amen. Nice PP Kirley, and you didn't even have original RAW files. There are some on here with really top class modelling skills, but their photography skills may not be quite at the same high level. :) At least these two pics of models are sharp in-focus unlike many others posted on the forum. My two bug bears are 'soft focus' and upside down images - giving me a headache. Tongue in cheek! :)

Sure, not everyone is a tech wizard... if it gets on your goat so much you could always post a tutorial in the 'Letting off Steam' section. ;)

Righto, just a quick posting of the almost finished E Class - just lamp hangers and two handrails on the front and she's done.

DSCF9347.jpg

The side panels cut out, with openings for access to valves etc. and the holes for the handrails are machine cut also. The marks are from where I put a pen through to drill the thicker styrene below for reinforcement to stop the sides bowing. This happened on the first two prototypes.

DSCF9349.jpg

Again on the early mockups, the intakes at the front were too deep and interfered with mounting the chassis, so it's a compromise but a worthwhile one.

DSCF9351.jpg

this is the Hollywood Foundry little beasty with stringers to mount to the body.

DSCF9352.jpg

The chassis frame is coming together. All the parts are from Dartcastings with larger buffer overlays to match CIE oddities.

DSCF9353.jpg

So far so good.

DSCF9355.jpg

The running gear had to be scratchbuilt, but I plan on using alternative aftermarket bits in future. The plastic rods are off a clean/new/unused toilet brush.

DSCF9356.jpg

Squirt of buffer beam red, and not happy with it, so gave it a lighter shade.

DSCF9357.jpg

Now here's the kicker. No black is ever truly black, so I painted it a Wehrmacht feld grau or something. A dark grey, with all the white bands in place.

DSCF9358.jpg

Using Payne's Grey - which is a dark dark blue/black I washed the entirety of the model. When dry it has a nice mottled effect similar to what happens to paint on not surfaces.

DSCF9362.jpg

This was then washed off where appropriate.

DSCF9365.jpg

This is the kind of thing going on underneath.

DSCF9367.jpg

This is Bill the driver. He's opening a jar of pickles.

DSCF9373.jpg

But they've gone off, so he's slid back a window to let the humm out :P

DSCF9374.jpg

The grilles for the bonnet vent is made from fancy bits off a christmas cracker.

DSCF9375.jpg

Cheers for all the kind comments. Richie.