eBay Watch

Rate this topic

BosKonay

On 2/25/2019 at 3:23 AM, CFD said:

Given the sellers location is Belfast, the Global Shipping Programme seems a bit odd given the buyer pays for the item to be shipped from Ireland over to the warehouse in England and then back to Ireland, but I suppose in these days of scams and people of less integrity trying to pull fast ones (I paid but I never got it mister) I suppose use of GSP is to be understood even it if does triple the price for the buyer. 

GSP works well for international buyers, paying import charges up front saves time and money arranging customs clearance. I used e-bay a lot for large scale (very expensive) models from the States and United Kingdom, GPS items go straight through while non-GPS items sometimes take up to 2 weeks to clear customs.  I never had a problem with scam sellers

Could get interesting if the UK leaves the EU Customs Union on 29th,  toys and models (new or second hand) imported from the UK would become liable for VAT at the Irish rate and an Customs service charge once they exceed the irish customs import treshold.

Currently the UK Customs have an  entry fee of £8 and NZ $45 in addition to sales and purchase tax.

He can keep them as far as I'm concerned - I can't stand deliberate rip-off merchants, and this is one!

141s for an average of about €190! If potential buyers ignore sellers who overprice, maybe they'd drop their prices......

Similar issue to some of the railway stuff in Purcell's Auction in Nenagh....

On 3/4/2019 at 8:34 PM, WaYSidE said:

electrical items will all go way up in price as well

We'll bill Boris Mogg-May-Farage for it all......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WaYSidE said:

The 9 Lines CDR wagon kits are available from the manufacturer in OO9 or 12mm gauge (Irish 3') http://www.nine-lines.co.uk/PRICE.htm. The kits are simple to assemble. 

Not so sure about the 3D printed Phoenix.

Australia is an expensive place to buy models much cheaper to buy from nearly anywhere else, even allowing for import charges and taxes..

• Informative 1

eBay seems almost flooded with 141/181s @ €202 ea,  Choice of nearly any running number or livery available. Seems to be the same seller in Belfast. I wouldn't pay those sort of high prices. Wonder if this is the beginning of the forecast off loading of Baby MM GMs by collectors in advance of the imminent MM 121 release? At those prices and volume it doesn't look like folks preparing to fund 121 acquisitions. Baby GMs have always been my favourite MM locos and I loving driving them above all other locos. Can't wait for the new 121s should will be way better value than these eBay prices hyper.gif Market may be temporarily flooded with 141/181s as some folk adjust their stock to facilitate arriving 121s for fleet balance.

Checked this guys feedback

Since Jan 1st he has sold the following Irish outline models

3 sets of 4 x Mk 2d's, 2 standard, genny & Diner @ £225 stg + postage (£11)

Set of 2 Bachmann Sealink coaches (RRP was £75 when they came out) @ £125 + £8.60 p&p

Set of 3 x Early Cravens £190 + £11 p&p

Set of 6 x late Cravens £300 + £11 p&p

2 sets of Murphy coal wagons, Coal Trader pak & later Bachmann one £95 + £8.60 p&p

Set of Coal Trader Murphy Coal Wagons £50 + £3.80 P&P

141A, 188,  156, 146, 190 & 192 @ £175 a pop + £8.60 P&P

Green & Matt Black Woolwichs @ £150 + £8.60 P&P

So there are people out there willing to pay these inflated prices knowing, I presume that the 121's and IRM's new models are in the pipeline

Must revise my pricing!!!!!

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2019 at 4:03 PM, WRENNEIRE said:

Checked this guys feedback

Since Jan 1st he has sold the following Irish outline models

3 sets of 4 x Mk 2d's, 2 standard, genny & Diner @ £225 stg + postage (£11)

Set of 2 Bachmann Sealink coaches (RRP was £75 when they came out) @ £125 + £8.60 p&p

Set of 3 x Early Cravens £190 + £11 p&p

Set of 6 x late Cravens £300 + £11 p&p

2 sets of Murphy coal wagons, Coal Trader pak & later Bachmann one £95 + £8.60 p&p

Set of Coal Trader Murphy Coal Wagons £50 + £3.80 P&P

141A, 188,  156, 146, 190 & 192 @ £175 a pop + £8.60 P&P

Green & Matt Black Woolwichs @ £150 + £8.60 P&P

So there are people out there willing to pay these inflated prices knowing, I presume that the 121's and IRM's new models are in the pipeline

Must revise my pricing!!!!!

More baby GMs have gone up on eBay for €202. Can't see them selling too fast at those prices considering you can get them at Stillorgan or Bray for a lot less. Plus nearly €25 postage from Belfast to Ireland seems a little sharp. One wonders if we might see a flood of baby GMs being off loaded onto the market as soon as the MM 121 becomes available soon.

https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_sop=10&_nkw=murphy+models+181&ul_noapp=true

Just had a look, I don't mind paying a reasonable price for things but these, well this is another matter, the long term damage has been done sadly, if manufactures stop making Irish models or kits because they don't sell , we shall be so much the poorer for it.

I suppose if you wanted to upset the apple cart you could set up a bogus eBay account and out bid everyone and then refuse to pay, but as Noel has said all the time you have people willing to pay those prices there is very little you can do.

However if you fancy a go with a air brush etc and doing a repaint Bachmann N class locos on eBay are going from £70.00 upwards.

Colin   

• 2 weeks later...

They're still very popular and could probably do with a re-run at an appropriate time (which might not be now with so much new Irish stock coming on line including the 121). Marks commissioned an additional run of the IE version which was very popular. Hopefully some 141s will come back onto the market as hoarded and excess stock is offloaded to purchase newer Irish items so there isn't a repetition of the Lima 201 model scenario. It would be nice to have any Irish model on display and available to purchase at any point in an ideal world and although some of the IRModels stock have sold out, they are at least issuing early additional releases rather than sticking the moulds in the vault like Disney videos. As for the 121, hold back the price of a pint each week (like an extended Lent) and you have money up front before they arrive. 

Edited by DiveController

There is a feast of baby GMs available on fleeBay at the moment but at a price. With 121's and A's due down the tracks how well these sell remains to be seen. But at least baby GMs are available for those who missed out on them first time around.

1596165473_Screenshot2019-04-24at11_49_57.thumb.jpg.eb7c473428fbde182d7367568c3dc0cf.jpg

Given that 141s are now on fleabay for €200, I wish I had bought a couple of dozen of them too. If people are paying €200 for a 141, I suppose, regrettably, €266 for a 071 (what about a 201?) is going to be par for the course. Personally I wouldn't pay that, but that's just me.

Moral of the story - we all get our orders in for 121s ASAP.

7 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

How many did you buy Dave?

5 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Given that 141s are now on fleabay for €200, I wish I had bought a couple of dozen of them too. If people are paying €200 for a 141, I suppose, regrettably, €266 for a 071 (what about a 201?) is going to be par for the course. Personally I wouldn't pay that, but that's just me.

Moral of the story - we all get our orders in for 121s ASAP.

£266 = €308 + €29 postage

So on a DCC circuit approaching €400 to run one with a non sound decoder....€500 to run with sound....

7 hours ago, StevieB said:

People must be keen to pay those sorts of prices.

Stephen

No sure 'keen' best describes their sentiments perhaps more reluctantly prepared to pay a premium price to get something that has become quite rare and difficult to buy (until there is a re-run in the future).

8 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Yes the successful bidder bought it with only 5 seconds to go on the auction. There seems to be three types on eBay: modellers, collectors and speculators. :) 

• Like 1

I don't think this predicted wave of baby GMS being cashed in to pay for A's and 121's is going to happen..............Irish model railway gear is turning into the bitcoin for the model railway world.

I'll be putting my order into the Marks in the near future for the 121s - I think they will be snapped up fairly fast being such an iconic loco.

I have been looking around for a B&T 141 and 181 plus supertrain versions of both - probably should head to a show as the online prices plus postage etc etc are fairly tasty..........given these sky high prices - do you think Mr Murphy might contemplate another limited run of the 141/181's?

Just some ideas for this discussion:  You don't want reissues of models, even though you want them.  The reissues satisfy a temporary peak demand moment of nostalgia, then creates a surplus to what a future market will bear.  

That happened in the States with HO brass models of a similar niche market, certain electric railway cars that were popular and got re-issued.  Over time, the generation that bought those models began selling them -- all at the same time.  The glutted resale market depressed the auction prices below the original sale price at first release -- but without the adjustment in purchasing power from the 1970s or 1980s prices.  The actual selling price now in 2019 currency is perhaps 50% of the total original investment in the purchase and custom-painting.  As one fellow who designed, commissioned, and imported brass models back in the 1980s-1990s commented recently, the business is a good way to take a large fortune and make a small fortune out of the endeavor.  Now the model owners are not able to sell their quantities, because the potential buyers can't afford to absorb the supply, even at discounted prices.

The hard-to-find models on the online international resale market are the custom-made models: JM Design, OO Works, Studio Scale Models for locomotives, for starters, and even a Bachmann NCC Jinty.  Custom-made goods wagons (Provincial Models, Irish Freight Models) seem to be rare for resale, too.   Overseas markets (U.S., Australia) also can command higher prices due to scarcity.

Never a truer word, David.

The Fleischmann stuff I bought for a German layout which was never finished would  fetch VERY little these days - fortunately, most of it was bought in the days when the D-Mark was 4/5 to the pound!

As Noel says, don't speculate, enjoy them. I have a glass case full of locos which have never / will never turn a wheel - but are happy mementos of trips in many a foreign land (anyone want a Hungarian Electric, or a Chinese one, come to think of it?)

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Northman said:

Yes just spotted this NIR 111,112 and 113 set as a job lot for any NIR fans who missed out on these three locos. NIR not my area of interest but I guess despite the price this rare set may be snapped up by a collector soon enough. 

Edited by Noel
Typo