NIR and IR/IE Mark 2 Coaches Mega Update

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

Our next all new model due to arrive in stock is our massive Mark 2 coach project, beginning with the NIR and RPSI coach packs, and finishing with our IR and IE orange and black Mark 2c coach packs.

IRM1240-NIR-GB1_square_600x600.jpg?v=170

We reported recently that the NIR coaches are complete and are winging their way to us. We had previously reported that we had hoped to have them in hand a few weeks ago.

IRM-1247-RPSI_2_-2_600x600.jpg?v=1692795

The NIR Mark 2 production completion has coincided with the busiest shipping period of the year, with the demand for shipping from China to Europe at its zenith. Therefore, it took longer than expected to secure their passage to our warehouse. They are well on the way now and will land with us at the end of December, and will be dispatched to customers from early January.

These coach packs are currently sold out on pre-order, but keep an eye on our website when they stock arrives as some will likely be made available for sale once again.

IR/IE Mark 2b and 2c Coach Packs

IMG_9340_071c96a2-58bb-4a79-a2f6-d2ff881

Hot on the heels of our NIR Mark 2 coaches will be our quad packs of IR and IE Mark 2c coaches (with the odd Mark 2b thrown in for good measure!)

As you can see below, they're currently at the printing stage at the factory, and heading towards final assembly.

7_a6c5e08f-7f37-4781-a813-14cb4e823f55_6

Our factory has confirmed with us that these coaches will be complete ahead of Chinese New Year in late January 2024, and will arrive in stock with us in March 2024.

We still have a limited supply of these available for sale on the website, so if you fancy them, we recommend you get your name down ASAP to ensure you get your hands on them.

PRE-ORDER YOUR IRM MARK 2 COACHES HERE

View the full article

• Like 7
  • WOW! 1

13 hours ago, JasonB said:

Really looking forward to these beauties arriving in the new year. Now, anyone got an NIR 201 they're willing to part with :D 

I know a man who knows a man...

😂😂😂

19 hours ago, murphaph said:

Roll on March! These will sell out the moment people start seeing them in the flesh, if not beforehand.

Roll on April! These will sell on eBay for twice the price the moment people start seeing them in the flesh.

Looking your way, Evan and Billy!

😂😂😂

• Like 2

Hey! BosKonay  is that called cross subsidization?  or cross fertilization? Keep raising the bar 'cos I like the Irish side of things.

Bye the bye, your guys on the Acurascale stand were very closed mouth about IRM announcements. Even under severe questioning! What torture were you guys threatening !   😎

• Funny 5

On 2/12/2023 at 3:39 PM, Mike 84C said:

Hey! BosKonay  is that called cross subsidization?  or cross fertilization? Keep raising the bar 'cos I like the Irish side of things.

Bye the bye, your guys on the Acurascale stand were very closed mouth about IRM announcements. Even under severe questioning! What torture were you guys threatening !   😎

Fran keeps a Hurley under the counter :)

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Not wishing to detract from the excitement surrounding the Mk2D's, but the NIR Mk2B/C's can't be far behind them, can they?

Funny you should say that, they passed by you around 9pm last night heading North.. Vessel routed around the cape due to the Houthis, maybe we should have warned the shipping line they were in more danger off the Canaries from a man with a step ladder and army of Felines!

• Funny 14

17 minutes ago, MOGUL said:

Funny you should say that, they passed by you around 9pm last night heading North.. Vessel routed around the cape due to the Houthis, maybe we should have warned the shipping line they were in more danger off the Canaries from a man with a step ladder and army of Felines!

Damn it, I could have commandeered a speedboat while doing the colonies last night and done some late-night pirating!

Arrrrrrrrr!

Now I see them!

Screenshot_20240109-134852.png

Edited by DJ Dangerous
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

51 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Damn it, I could have commandeered a speedboat while doing the colonies last night and done some late-night pirating!

Arrrrrrrrr!

Now I see them!

Its out there somewhere, one of those little dots with COSCO written on the side..

I have a theme song for you and all, enjoy(it was stuck in my head for about 3 months thanks to the 2 year old!).. Beats Barney anyway

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, MOGUL said:

Its out there somewhere, one of those little dots with COSCO written on the side..

I have a theme song for you and all, enjoy(it was stuck in my head for about 3 months thanks to the 2 year old!).. Beats Barney anyway

Once it wasn't Danger Mouse, I'm happy!

😂😂😂

• Funny 1

On 9/1/2024 at 1:00 PM, DJ Dangerous said:

Not wishing to detract from the excitement surrounding the Mk2D's, but the NIR Mk2B/C's can't be far behind them, can they?

They're just past Adavoyle right now, but there are cows on the line at Kellystown, and a man with a milk churn......

• Funny 1

21 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

They're just past Adavoyle right now, but there are cows on the line at Kellystown, and a man with a milk churn......

They are in a TEMU container like this one, should be offloaded at Dugort harbours tomorrow morning in time for the up mixed 

IMG_4945.jpeg

Edited by MOGUL
  • Like 6

Actually, without wanting to derail this thread; I've an idea.

As many here will be well aware, once containers and fitted wagons started appearing, and passenger trains started to be strings of the exact same type of aircon, air-braked, tube-like vehicles, my own interests started waning; on the retirement of the last 141s, I'm afraid that nothing in the modern scene is of the slightest interest to me. But - horses for courses.....

However, there is, of course, and exception to every rule. I was tempted to get one 141 in supertrain livery, which if it dwelt among an otherwise entirely black'n'tan fleet, would be fine for the timescale I'm interested in - the fictitious Dugort Harbour managed to last, like the Loughrea line, until about 1975.

So - by this time the "Rail Development Plan" is in its infancy, and those older, smaller, grey-coloured container gantries are appearing in various places. No reason why Dugort mighn't have had one for its last few years.

Suppose I was to get some sort of gantry, which could be reasonably placed ON the layout when it's 1975, but removed other times, what sort of gantry would I get? Any container gantry experts out there? Such installations are itrems that I do not know the first thing about. If not Dugort, once Castletown West, currently plain track on plain boards, gets its scenery, I might put one there. It has to be removable, as it won't fit with steam engines!

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Uh, phrasing...

17 hours ago, Rob said:

....there's a similar container currently in Heuston North- not sure if it is THE one?? !

20221016_140503.jpg

That doesn't count as a Heuston North update!

😂😂😂

Edited by DJ Dangerous
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

27 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

As many here will be well aware, once containers and fitted wagons started appearing, and passenger trains started to be strings of the exact same type of aircon, air-braked, tube-like vehicles, my own interests started waning; on the retirement of the last 141s, I'm afraid that nothing in the modern scene is of the slightest interest to me. But - horses for courses.....

However, there is, of course, and exception to every rule. I was tempted to get one 141 in supertrain livery, which if it dwelt among an otherwise entirely black'n'tan fleet, would be fine for the timescale I'm interested in - the fictitious Dugort Harbour managed to last, like the Loughrea line, until about 1975.

So - by this time the "Rail Development Plan" is in its infancy, and those older, smaller, grey-coloured container gantries are appearing in various places. No reason why Dugort mighn't have had one for its last few years.

Suppose I was to get some sort of gantry, which could be reasonably placed ON the layout when it's 1975, but removed other times, what sort of gantry would I get? Any container gantry experts out there? Such installations are itrems that I do not know the first thing about. If not Dugort, once Castletown West, currently plain track on plain boards, gets its scenery, I might put one there. It has to be removable, as it won't fit with steam engines!

This is the modeller's equivalent of scope creep: Era creep I call it 🤪

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Fixed gantries for loading containers and 'Lancashire Flats" began to appear during the early 60s there appear to have been two type a light 5T gantry similar to that at Youghal  https://www.thebeachguide.co.uk/photos/youghal-front-strand-3166144.htm and a more substantial 16T gantry used for handling container traffic at Dromad, Navan, Rathkeale, Roscrea, and the North Kerry Yard Tralee http://www.industrialheritageireland.info/Gazetteer/Images/Railways/DR03830.jpg .

A large dairy or meat factory would be a good source of container traffic, the gantries at Dromad, Rathkeale and Roscrea would have been installed to handle traffic from the nearby factories.  CIE would have used its own Aluminium bodies containers on purpose built flat wagon (there is a Kevin A Murray photo of one of these containers on an early version of the CIE 20' Flat Wagon in the Wagon Collection on the IRRS Flickr site) 20T container wagons began to appear from the mid-1960s and ISO containers in the late 60s (68-69).  

The gantry at Glenmore on Patricks Layout is a good example of a model of this type of gantry 

Location of gantries could vary usually towards the middle of a siding, though the gantries at Roscrea were close to the buffer stops, usually on a siding with easy vehicle access like the siding a Dugort, though sometimes on a loading bank like Cleremorris or the North Kerry Yard. 

Apart from a suitable source of traffic Gaeltacht Advance Factory or Fish Processing factory at Dugort, the main challenge is the absence of a model of the CIE Aluminium container and early CIE container flats, Leslie's skeletal container wagon and ISO containers are really only suitable for a post 1970s layout.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

On 9/1/2024 at 7:44 AM, DJ Dangerous said:

Arrrrrrrrr!

Now I see them!

My buddy, a boats captain, saw all my stock a couple of weeks ago 😱 so he’s in when the NIR stock is coming by.
Dive team ready to go for boarding 😉 

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

22 hours ago, DiveController said:

My buddy, a boats captain, saw all my stock a couple of weeks ago 😱 so he’s in when the NIR stock is coming by.
Dive team ready to go for boarding 😉 

Now you just have to figure out which box of 9-10000 you are looking for…

I’ll give you a clue, it’s reddy brown

IMG_4955.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

On 11/1/2024 at 9:54 PM, MOGUL said:

They are in a TEMU container like this one, should be offloaded at Dugort harbours tomorrow morning in time for the up mixed 

IMG_4945.jpeg

On 11/1/2024 at 10:58 PM, Rob said:

....there's a similar container currently in Heuston North- not sure if it is THE one?? !

20221016_140503.jpg

Nothing beats a nice brown box.

Speaking of, how useful are these for Irish modellers?

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/dapol-4f-028-152-40-ft-high-cube-container-zim-769411-4-727809-8-twin-pack

3 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Nothing beats a nice brown box.

Speaking of, how useful are these for Irish modellers?

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/dapol-4f-028-152-40-ft-high-cube-container-zim-769411-4-727809-8-twin-pack

Not very, zim never had much of a presence in Ireland.. In fact they no longer have an Irish agency, and look after Ireland from their U.K. agency..

I have a pack of the dapol 20fts, I bought after getting 1 booking on the train from the Irish agent to deliver a 20ft to Ballina.. He was a pain in the hole, needed updates every two hours and didn’t understand why a factory that takes a hundred deliveries a week didn’t think his one 20ft container was a priority to offload.. Needless to say that was the only time I know of a Zim box being on the rails since 2005

Edited by MOGUL