Georges Workbench

Rate this topic

Georgeconna

I use the Deluxe Odourless Superglue with Accelerator, Its in a Green bottle in Marks, E8.99 I use it for all the Clear parts especially on the Plastic kits!

Thanks for the comments as well.

Looking at it I should of put Door hinges on the Doors, but I will do that on the next one.

Cheers

G

george, in all fairness to you ,she is a beaut! if you were to charge for labour etc - what would that beauty cost guving the time involved...and be honest!!!!

Thats a though one to fathom out HF.

I had bought this for a Friend along with 2 more for myself. He decided he could not do it so offered me E50 to build it. If you were to add in labour, Heat, Leccy, paints etc E50 would not Cover it really but even E50 extra makes it an expensive bit of rolling stock. It not a Golden age Dyno car but all in I would hazard around E150-E170 if you added in time. It Certainly does not pay to build kits TBH but I enjoy it and that the main thing. Ask me in two weeks as I will be starting some N gauges Autoballasters!!

Put it this way the ESB went up an extra E60 when I started this and the Brake vans!! The war office is not happy!!

Great day today, Wife at work, Kids away so I made a Start in the tranquil peace I had on these. These are kits from the N gauge Society of the Familiar Autoballasters however these may not be Irish, probably Railtrack but I will throw it on here as these are used on IR and some folks may be tempted or unaware these are available. You have to join the N gauge Socieyy to Purchase these and they have a fantastic kit selection and some RTR.

They came to me like this:

436_3639_zps176a11df.jpg

The formidable etch:

436_3641_zps27cad906.jpg

The underside of the Wagon:

436_3642_zps9c52e02f.jpg

and its in place but not glued:

436_3643_zps7702e947.jpg

The End Supports in place:

436_3645_zpsc54ec051.jpg

436_3644_zps19e9081b.jpg

thats it for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Nearing the Finish line with the Autoballaters, These are gonna be Network Rail so sorry bout the BR Content!! Great kits though, Maybe we will see an Irish rake on Wellington Bheag someday...Come on Paul!!!!

Taken with a point and shoot after I applied a few decals.

DSC05649_zpsc6c4ec64.jpg

DSC05650_zpsf955ee75.jpg

DSC05652_zps363ada22.jpg

DSC05651_zps284fc98b.jpg

They will be finished with a final gloss coat and then a Matt coat on top.

G

• 1 month later...
george, any chance of showing us how to do the yellow stripes on the lookout on the breaks sometime please?[ATTACH=CONFIG]12387[/ATTACH]

Hi lads,

Proceeding with Glacial progress on the Brakes so need to edge them over the line as I more stuff on to go!!

On the stripes I tackled them with some masking tape and that failed as the paint got pulled off the brass despite used etch primers, Tried Hand painting them and was not happy with the out come so I turned to my trusty aircraft decal box and pulled out an old extradecal Black Line set I had bought years ago, Well I got a few of em!!. You can get them From Hannants in the UK

So in the end I sprayed them Humbrol 69 (the wifes fav Paint colour) gloss yellow,after a few coats left it dry for a week of so and then the fun began!.

using a new blade I roughly cut the angles in the Transfers so as to make them match up a bit easier onthe Corners and cut them into 3 pieces an then lined each one up and evenly spaced them as best I could with out losing more hair. I used some setting solution to soften the decals, Its called Microsol and thenI will seal them in with a coat of Gloss varnish or Clear.

The one in the pic is still setting as I only put the decals on 5 mins beforehand

Thats it really. Sorry about the 1st piccy, dunno what happened. This modelling larks is a battle! Hope that helps.

438_3811_zps8545f7be.jpg

438_3812_zps6fa96114.jpg

438_3813_zpsd28246c1.jpg

All the best.

Edited by Georgeconna

• 2 weeks later...
Those look great' date=' especially the ir logo one. What where they used for in ir days do you know?[/quote']

I remember seeing one at Inchicore coupled to some oil tank wagons and being used for the regular Inchicore-Alexandra road-Inchicore stores oil transfer on this occasion being hauled by loco 210.

Fantastic job on those brake vans George.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

SteveiB, They for a couple of Chaps and have new homes now. I am not taking up making kits anymore as I have got a mountain of stuff to get through and the time to build vs time I actually have is not quite working out!. If your looking for a brake van, Try DLSAnthony as he makes stuff for people I think still or Tony Mirolo?

So do you still do weathering George?

SteveiB, They for a couple of Chaps and have new homes now. I am not taking up making kits anymore as I have got a mountain of stuff to get through and the time to build vs time I actually have is not quite working out!. If your looking for a brake van, Try DLSAnthony as he makes stuff for people I think still or Tony Mirolo?