Georges Workbench

Rate this topic

Georgeconna

Been busy over the last few days but time is not aplenty due to the other half working late evenings, Downside of the cabin is I cant leave the kids inside on their tod so stuck inside the house and the work rate has plummeted...

Done a 071 for myself this week and bunged a sound chip in, Eamons Vids really show the best of the sound off. I have some Taras built of which is one behind the loco. As my tripod is loaned to fiend I have not got shots of those.Had these done for some time but had to finish them off.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9811[/ATTACH]

Oh my Lordy. That is a honey George. Very well done. Definitely a Father Dougal moment. ("these are small, those are far away...")

That's top work George. It's not too overstated, the dirt is in all the right places. Panel lines have dirt encrusted in them, the difference in the shades of dirt from the bogies, the body sides and roof looks really effective. Plus the bleaching effect of fading orange paint is spot on. Put up a few pics of the cabin when you have time, I'd love to see it.

Rich,

No worries, No trade Secrets, everything is out there and yes I do a wash of a thinned dirty black and more of less take the whole lot of again. I only use he Tenscrom for the fuel and oil, nothing else. For rust I use pastels only as other rust effects are too proud.

any things else just ask.

G

No worries, No trade Secrets, everything is out there and yes I do a wash of a thinned dirty black and more of less take the whole lot of again. I only use he Tenscrom for the fuel and oil, nothing else. For rust I use pastels only as other rust effects are too proud.

any things else just ask.

G

Appreciate that, George. Lot of guys don't like giving you too much info!

Just a couple of questions...

Do you use an enamel or acrylic wash?

And do you give the model a matt coat before starting? (I find the washes work much better with a coat of matt acrylic varnish.)

I know what you mean!!

Enamel all the way for me, I find If you matt coat it the wash wont flow as I want it too. Interested to hear about your technique though.

I leave it the model as is but be careful of the printed letters when your taking the wash back off as some of the baccy stuff comes of pretty easily!!

Lovely work as always george, and love the little diorama. You posted a vid somewhere of Humbrol Gloss Cote, and it has some handy tricks on doing panel lining and using washes to make joints stand out. My favourite technique of late, thx. Richie.

youtube.com/watch?v=ByMhacC5vAE

I know what you mean!!

Enamel all the way for me, I find If you matt coat it the wash wont flow as I want it too. Interested to hear about your technique though.

I've been using the Humbrol washes which I find pool on the surface of the model unless it's been giving a matt coat. I use Windsor and Newton acrylic varnish which comes in a spray can but I decant it into a jar and apply it with the airbrush which gives a much finer coat.

I apply the Humbrol by just dabbing small amounts onto the panel lines and details. Then I use Revel thinners and dab it over the Humbrol and it runs straight into the detail and crevices. Then like yourself I remove most of the wash with cotton buds and brushes.

Sounds a pretty long process but it gets results that I like.

• 2 weeks later...

Started this last year and have got the decks clear of some other stuff so need to complete it once and for all. I have the main brass and bits n bobs on and have spray the White first using Revell Satin white. The masked that off using 1mm masking tape. Then the black, Masked that off and Phoenix precision paint.

I used a MM 071 as the template for the location of the white lines as as you can see the decal supplied by MIR are way too narrow hence the two white lines on the front, so I need to remedy that next when the decals dry. Microset was used to melt the decal around the raised detail.

sorry piccys are great as I shot them on low size file :(

432_3237_zpsa1f29192.jpg

432_3236_zpsb7f00c6f.jpg

432_3237.jpg

432_3236.jpg

Edited by Georgeconna

There 40ft and there flat, Mir kits from some chaps loft and it looks like he got them before I was born looking at the price!!

Soldered together using carrs 70 Deg Solder and an adjustable iron. Lots of tidying up to do and I need to put a spacer between the bogies and the frame due to the fact if you have a curve in your layout there gonna get stuck. Had to cut back the under frame too as the bogies snag that. White metal is great to work with but a tad messy with the filings etc.

432_3248.jpg

432_3247.jpg

432_3246.jpg

432_3245.jpg

Wow George. The whitemetal 42' looks great. Plenty of weight on the track too.

Given the pricing, I figure that kit is from c.'85.

That bus is a work of art (thanks for the shout out!). Really lovely weathering, colours, everything (the rear lights are a delight).

It just looks so right. I want one!