Georges Workbench

Rate this topic

Georgeconna

Done another bit tonight, Hate to see what the ESB bill will be after this yoke. Started at 1000 and went till 0100hrs. Heres the pics of the Progress so far, Nothing tricky to report. Everything seems to go very well except when you think you know better and skip reading the Instructions.

434_3456_zps3191cab0.jpg

Wheel and bearings on

434_3457_zpsb21b927d.jpg

Battery Boxes Went together well.

434_3458_zpsdea976f6.jpg

White Metal fittings on. More to do.

434_3462_zps564c33c1.jpg

Roof Vent on

434_3459_zpsa67b79be.jpg

Gangway Completed, Just need to Add the Crepe paper surround and the hanging bars:

434_3463_zps6bdd9f62.jpg

Other end to do tomorrow

434_3461_zpsb7bd5506.jpg

Heres the next bit of work done, I needed to fit Tension locks Couplers on the ends as the chap running it has those on his layout. I used a slimline one. I drilled a hole in the Chassis floor and the Tension lock coupler and and using a bit of brass wire threaded through the hole in the Chassis, Through the Tension lock to Articulate it and then through the Resin Fuel Tank. I Sanded off the Excess wire flush with the Resin tank. It works an all!!

Here you can see the Wire sticking up at the base of the End plate

434_3465_zps3be8cf92.jpg

Here you can see the fuel tank with the hollow part in the Resin for a Kaydee or coupling of your choice. Great Idea.

434_3467_zps381fdbf0.jpg

Here you see the Wire going from the above the Coupling and through the Coupling itself.

434_3466_zpsfb871add.jpg

Here you see where I sanded off the Excess Wire protruding from the Resin

434_3464_zps441bcbcf.jpg

Coming together nicely there George. Tis no longer a box of bits anymore! Fairly extensive looking kit, hats off to all of Mr Mayners work. Well done :D

Out of interest... what's a good base for painting brass? Would you use Etching primer same as if you were painting bare steel? Cheers.

Heres is the Lastest Installment, As I mentioned I had to solder up the Footsteps which were a Simple fold and sweat together, The Door handles were then soldered using a thin piece of Brass as a gap between the body and the door handle, I then soldered on the Water Tank Filler pipe and now she has a coat of paint on her.I used Phoenix Precision Etch primer which is a two part mix and man alive does it stink, I needed to open all the windows and doors in the Shed for this one!!

Here some shots of the Fully Assembled Van. I must say I have enjoyed this model, A real joy to build and an easy one to start off with I think If you wanted to try a brass kit, That and SSM Brake Van. Now 2 more Vans to do..

434_3472_zpsc822b1ca.jpg

434_3470_zpsdeb9c3c6.jpg

434_3471_zpsdbc5b639.jpg

434_3469_zpsfa6048b9.jpg

Heres she is in Good Company

434_3474_zps46db2711.jpg

434_3478_zpsdde2aac7.jpg

Primer on:

434_3480_zpsdb38508f.jpg

Now the Fun Begins!! and the roof needs fixing just yet, I wait till I put the Glazing in obviously!!

Edited by Georgeconna

Absolutely bloody gorgeous work george. Just goes to show how many hours is involved in professional kit building, youre a credit to the scene. Great photographs too all along, really looking forward to the finished article. Incidentally, is that etching primer the only solution prior to brass painting? Richie

Thanks lads...As I have said before its down the the Design of the kit, It is pretty much Perfect.Clean Crisp and solid Etched parts. Hope the Roof fits nicely once the Glazing goes in!! Thats my main worry!!

This is the 1st time I used this primer and it is Brilliant, I used Car spray stuff before but this is Phoenix Stuff is excellent, It has Activation Properties that make sure the Paint holds onto the brass. I found with aerosol primers they did not have the grip and ruined the finish when you pulled the Masking tape off the paint came away in small Sections and thats with Tamiya Tape!!

Looking forward to the Finish, Its gonna be Black and tan!!.

Thanks George

Yep All Soldered, Jut spent the Last couple of hours soldering the Footsteps, Door Handles, Water Filler pipes. Pictures shortly....

Soldering whitemetal to brass can be a trial in itself and it makes the work you have done really deserving of the plaudits. Top work George.

Rich,

While the Orange is drying on the tin Van I started one of the SSM Kits, The 20tan Brake van. Again this is a nice kit and great thought has gone into the breakdown of the parts to make it a easy as possible. This one will be soldered as well but these can be glued with great results.

Here is what you get for you few bob, Brass Etch, Dapol Prestwin Kit. Clear Glazing, Brass roof and some wire for handrails, I prefer the straight brass wire myself to save time Straightening it out, Also Transfers and some masking tape.

434_3499_zps548a91dd.jpg

435_3502_zpsa8c11987.jpg

First thing to do was to cut out the Main body etch and fold up using a steel ruler. I then cut of the Side strakes. Note that one part has notches higher up due to where the Ashpan sits so look twice!!

435_3504_zpsd076b941.jpg

A smear of solder paste and as cut off bit of solder and hot iron enabled to solder to run along the joint.

435_3506_zps9480a5c7.jpg

It was just a handy to add another two to the fire!!

435_3505_zps46c9eb1f.jpg

Here I Added the Strakes on and again used a smear of solder paste where the part was going to sit and soldered from the inside which let the solder flow out and along the parts fusing them together. small bit of tidying up need afterwards.

435_3507_zps8ae044ea.jpg

Here all three bodies have the side strakes done, need to do the Front strakes next. about 1.5 hours to get to this stage.

435_3508_zps585904c1.jpg

Now back to painting the black on the tin van!!:)

Thanks for looking

G

Edited by Georgeconna