Georges Workbench

Rate this topic

Georgeconna

Well I have been a bit on the quiet side but busy enough with various builds of kits and the like which are on the ISM forum i you want to take a peek but heres are few bits n bobs I have on the go at the moment. I wont bore you guys with weathering shots as I load these up on the facebook page I have now as its easy to do.

Heres the new workshop delivered from Hayes Cabins in Castlefreake, Thanks to Tommy Nolan in Wexford for instilling the idea in my head, Its a bit of a mess inside but slowly will be kitted out. The size is 20ft x10ft.

DSC08245.jpg

Heres some bit on the ol workbench last night.

429_2965.jpg

The next bit of work I am doing is repainting 2 071s to this livery:

354_5444.jpg

Heres how I am doing it:

071s and decals by the Wizard in the West.

429_2977.jpg

Before I took things apart I rubbed off the decals with a cotton bud and some white spirit. A couple of mins work had the numbers off

429_2978.jpg

429_2979.jpg

Next was to take the main body off and I unscrewed the 4 screws under the bogies.

429_2980.jpg

I took off the red brake wheel, A little push with a blade and it popped out

429_2983.jpg

I then tackled the main decals,The reason behind this is that they show up underneath the paint spoiling the paint job. This took about a hour...Is there an easier way. I used 2000 grade wet n dry and cotton buds to tackle this slow job.

429_2982.jpg

The main printed markings have gone. I dont worry about the stuff in the grooves as it wont show.

429_2981.jpg

Then I turned my attention to the cabs. These come off with a tiny bit of Persuasion, If the little holding tab breaks off then just superglue it back on. The cab light wires were unsoldered.

429_2984.jpg

You can see the Square tabs here

429_2985.jpg

I then needed to take off the grab rails and these only need a tiny but of a lift to come out perfectly so that you can use them on a 121 build or 071!! I used a wire cutters to do this job. I pried off the headlights also with a blade and put the spare bits safely away so I cant find them in a few days time!!

429_2987.jpg

I then sanded off the raised details on the Cab front, I used 600 wet n dry for this

429_2988.jpg

Then I used Squadron signal Green stuff putty applied with a cocktail stick that had been cut to a flat end, I applied a small bit than necessary as this can shrink while drying

429_2989.jpg

All the stuff is now washed and drying so more work tomorrow night!!

Bye fore now

George

Excellent George, a great tutorial. I love the wipers on the new 071 livery, the etched ones look a lot finer, and the decal on the steps is a nice touch. I am toying with the idea of a portacabin to house my layout when the time arrives for the build to begin. Sharon's folks are builders and a blocks and mortar build would be a weekend job which could be slow. With a build you have to add in the cost of blocks, cement, windows, doors, security, electrics, timber for the roof, tiles for the roof, gutters, and down pipes. then there is the decoration and labor costs.

I am a little worried about how housing a layout in a portacabin would affect the layout living on the coast. Having said that I have been in portacabins that have been used as dressing rooms, class rooms, and they have been fine in all weather conditions. Let me know when you have it cleaned up and ready for action, I'd appreciate your opinion.

Rich,

The Portacabin is pretty good, Nice a warm in the summer but not too hot, Comes complete with sockets and a heater which is good. I did get an offer of a 30ft for about E500 as no one wants those but the boss said no, should of said nothing and got one in the end as you can be a bit of space. The cabin was E2500 and that was after shopping around, Its not new thought but not too bothered about that. Thing is when I need a replacement or bigger effort it can be craned back out easily enough.

As you say Rich these cabins are all around the country, you can pay large amounts of dosh for some snazzy ones but shop about. Vandal screens would be handy to so I will fit those on shortly as well as a motion alarm.

Thing is now, OO or N gauge, Irish or UK, That the Dilemma. A Dapol HST in Blue grey will probably swing the N gauge vote!! Toying with doing a layout though based on Newcastle West ut with a Cement/ fert depot, The track layout is interesting and plenty of running around!! . Got the Track bought just need to work out how big. Probably will be an end to end exhibition set up.

Thank for the nice comments lads.

I will stick up the An post yokes soon, There just oxford vans repainted and Whestys Decals will be going on them. (sorry for the bad grammer but the Apostrophe key not working on Computer due to beer spillage)

Regards

George

The Bandon tank is not quite there yet as had to put it aside for other work.

Thanks for that George. 20 by 10 sounds like a good size, don't think the missus would entertain a 30 footer. Mind you a 24 ' would be nice as a little work space would be ideal. I shall shop around. The plans sound good regarding the layout. Whatever you choose I bet it will be a cracking job.

Rich,

Thanks for that George. 20 by 10 sounds like a good size, don't think the missus would entertain a 30 footer. Mind you a 24 ' would be nice as a little work space would be ideal. I shall shop around. The plans sound good regarding the layout. Whatever you choose I bet it will be a cracking job.

Rich,

I forgot to Mention your limited to 10ft Wide, Anything over involved Planning permission.However you can have it as long as you want....Daft!!!! Could get one to go on top!!

If your stuck on width go with a timber shed, when they are treated and insulated they last forever. I had a 20' x 16, on a concrete base in my old house. Nice and cool in the summer and warm in winter.

Cheers Dave that is another option that is on the list of possibilities.

Rich,

lads, no matter a house extension, a man shed, or a portacabin, they all need some of compliance with the Building Regulations & Planning & Dev Law. No structure is considered temporary, so you can't hoodwink them with a second storey. Single storey extensions, leaving a minumum of 25m2 clear garden area is general rule of approval. There is still a limit to the size of the extension you can build, and a quick chat at the planning counter in your local co-co will tell you what's acceptable. R.

lads, no matter a house extension, a man shed, or a portacabin, they all need some of compliance with the Building Regulations & Planning & Dev Law. No structure is considered temporary, so you can't hoodwink them with a second storey. Single storey extensions, leaving a minumum of 25m2 clear garden area is general rule of approval. There is still a limit to the size of the extension you can build, and a quick chat at the planning counter in your local co-co will tell you what's acceptable. R.

Cheers Richie, that is some good food for thought.

Rich,

Hi

I know a bit about this, hopefully not going to far off thread;-

The Planning and Development act has two exemptions for development to a dwelling which can be used for model train layouts.

These exemptions are described in the Planning and Development Act; Schedule 2, and split up into Classes;-

Class 1. Allows for a 40sqm exempt extension at the rear or side of a dwelling. There are a number of conditions for this exemption relating to, previous exempt development, distances of windows to boundaries and size of private open space left at the rear of the dwelling, to name a few of them.

Class 3. Allows for a 25sqm exempt garage, shed, tent or awning. Again there are conditions, not allowed to be in front of the dwelling, previous exempt development, cant exceed 4m in height and if connected to the house it should be built with like finishes, to name a few.

Oh and! you cannot keep ponies and horses in it!

This can be found on line = http://www.environ.ie/en/Legislation/DevelopmentandHousing/Planning/ Open the pdf at the top of the page and scoot down to page 236 'Schedule 2'.

And as mentioned above by Glenderg, all exempt developments to a dwelling have to comply by law with the Building Regulations.

murrayec

Eoin, with respect, I think you might be off target a wee bit. the Planning and Development Act 2000 doesn't set out what you can and cannot build in detail. It sets out development standards. It also sets out the connection with the building regulation act, building control act, and subsequent regulations. To most normal people navigating this minefield, its best to give them the easiest route to an answer, which is going to the local county council planning counter and have a chat with the guy behind it. Especially if its a man/train shed!

edit - I'm a qualified architect.

Edited by Glenderg

You could always build an underground man cave/bomb shelter, which just happens to contain a layout! At least if there's nuclear war and you're stuck in it, you'll have something to keep you entertained! :D

As for the Planning Guidelines/Regs, Glenderg is right, they'd bore anyone to tears:((

Edited by Barl

• 3 weeks later...

Still tipping away over the past few days, Time is difficult to come by as herself is working nights so kids need to be looked after.

Using Microsol which softens the decals over a gloss surface this works the decal into the nooks and crannies, never go without the stuff

429_2993.jpg

The Cabs were Sanded down with some 2000 grade wet n dry

429_2994.jpg

The cabs were masked off and chassis n cabs sprayed with the delightful grey colour

429_2997.jpg

The Cabs yellow areas were masked off,make sure you get these on straight as it looks a bit off when done wrong not to mention the waste of time correcting it...Believe me!!!!

429_2998.jpg

The yellow was sprayed using Revell Satin Yellow. Nice finish and Dries quick too.

429_3000.jpg

Also on the go is one of these. I have two to make...MIR 071, Its been re-scribed which takes a fair bit of time..

430_3004.jpg

Also a couple of coaches came through the door and using some 1mm masking tape to mask the Lining off these have come up quite nice.

430_3001.jpg

430_3002.jpg

thats all for now..Off now to listen to the End of Eds indie Disco on Today FM...

• 2 weeks later...

Been busy over the last few days but time is not aplenty due to the other half working late evenings, Downside of the cabin is I cant leave the kids inside on their tod so stuck inside the house and the work rate has plummeted...

Done a 071 for myself this week and bunged a sound chip in, Eamons Vids really show the best of the sound off. I have some Taras built of which is one behind the loco. As my tripod is loaned to fiend I have not got shots of those.Had these done for some time but had to finish them off.

431_3175.jpg