CIE 25436-25982 Series Flat Wagon

Rate this topic

Mayner

Introduced in 1966 as a general purpose flat wagon these were the 1st of the CIE family of 20T flats. The wagons were intended mainly for palletised and container traffic and fitted with swing down stanchions and tie downs for securing a load and were retro-fitted with cuplocks when ISO container standards were finalised in 1969.

The wagons were used for palletised keg, fertiliser and container traffic until the widespread introduction of bogie flats and purpose built fertiliser wagons and keg flats in the mid-late 70s. 256436 series flats formed the basis of the bagged cement and beet doubles, others ended up in departmental use on the cable train, sleeper wagons, one was fitted with a Hiab for use with the S&E department on the DART electrification and signalling.

The original intention was a detailing fret for the Prestwin with floor, bufferbeams, brake gear and solebar detail, in the end a complete kit turned out to be simpler and more effective.

DSCF1363.JPG

DSCF1364.JPG

DSCF1362.JPG

DSCF1367.JPG

DSCF1370.JPG

Test Build 25436 Series Flat

The test assembly went together very well all of the critical components are self locating with slots and tabs. I need to look at the decking chequer plate ended up as polka dots and re-jig the buffer beams.

I am looking at detail castings for this and the 22'6" flat I have the masters for the spring and dampers somewhere, MJT do reasonably close roller bearing axlebox and buffers.

At this stage I am not sure on cost possible release date Autumn (Northern) 2014

• 3 months later...

I am looking at finalising the brass work for the flats later this month, then its a matter of sorting out some castings probably for release in early-mid 2015.

While the lead time and turn round on the etching side of things is quite rapid, lead time form pattern making to the finished castings are much longer and less predictable.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Introduced in 1966 as a general purpose flat wagon these were the 1st of the CIE family of 20T flats. The wagons were intended mainly for palletised and container traffic and fitted with swing down stanchions and tie downs for securing a load and were retro-fitted with cuplocks when ISO container standards were finalised in 1969.

The wagons were used for palletised keg, fertiliser and container traffic until the widespread introduction of bogie flats and purpose built fertiliser wagons and keg flats in the mid-late 70s. 256436 series flats formed the basis of the bagged cement and beet doubles, others ended up in departmental use on the cable train, sleeper wagons, one was fitted with a Hiab for use with the S&E department on the DART electrification and signalling.

The original intention was a detailing fret for the Prestwin with floor, bufferbeams, brake gear and solebar detail, in the end a complete kit turned out to be simpler and more effective.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12735[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12736[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12737[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12738[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12739[/ATTACH]

Test Build 25436 Series Flat

The test assembly went together very well all of the critical components are self locating with slots and tabs. I need to look at the decking chequer plate ended up as polka dots and re-jig the buffer beams.

I am looking at detail castings for this and the 22'6" flat I have the masters for the spring and dampers somewhere, MJT do reasonably close roller bearing axlebox and buffers.

At this stage I am not sure on cost possible release date Autumn (Northern) 2014

Any development on these wagons John or did I miss later updates?

I may need to hire Kevin as a press and publicity agent :tumbsup:

I hope to do an update in the next two weeks, Thump was kind of right the final version of the fret arrived last week, I just need to prepare a master for the cuplocks

At this stage the plan is to release the wagon in late 2016.

Edited by Mayner