Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

A couple of Killybegs, County Donegal views today on flickr.

Both 21 April 1953. Railcar 12 on 3.50pm to Donegal Town

CDRJC 1953-04-21 Killybegs Railcar 12 3.50 to Donegal HCC78506

Also at Killybegs Great Northern Railway Bus no 206. I wonder if this was a scheduled service or was the bus on hire to the CDRJC?

CDRJC 1953-04-21 Killybegs GNR bus 206 outside station HCC78507a

I am sorting out a large collection of UK & Irish medium format negs from the late 1950's early 60's which includes a fair number of Cavan & Leitrim & West Clare images but sadly only a couple CDRJC at Donegal Town. Some nice CIE & ex GNRI views as well. 

• Like 5

A return to my Collection today.

Added to Flickr is 397 at Mallow on the 6.15pm Cork - Rosslare Harbour, 20 June 1953

CIE 1953-06-20 Mallow 397 on 6.15pm Cork-Rosslare

In the pipeline I am processing another 100 plus negatives, mainly Cavan & Leitrim and West Clare but there are some 'standard' gauge views including this one of A6 approaching Avoca ca 1960.

My Flickr total views are approaching 46 million, if I got 1p a shot that would be £460,000 - I could have probably just about commissioned an 00 scale C Class for that. Unfortunately I rather think that if viewers had to pay 1p , total income would probably have been £460.

A024.jpg

• Like 5

A bit of a contrast for todays photos, First the 'ancient'; Ex T&D 3T at Drumshanbo with the daily mixed 20 March 1959 I was surprised to see looking at Google street view that the Water Tower, Goods store and I think also the station building still exist with a bypass road built between the goods store and the tower which appear to be well maintained.

C&L 1959-03-20 Drumshanbo 3T shunting (6)

Then we move to the 'modern' (for 22August 1953) for a somewhat cleaner well pristine even 802 on the 3.40pm (SO) Dublin-Cork.

CIE 1953-08-22 Ballybrophy 802 on 3.40pm (SO) Kingsbridge-Cork

• Like 7

On 4/9/2021 at 6:49 AM, Irishswissernie said:

A bit of a contrast for todays photos, First the 'ancient'; Ex T&D 3T at Drumshanbo with the daily mixed 20 March 1959 I was surprised to see looking at Google street view that the Water Tower, Goods store and I think also the station building still exist with a bypass road built between the goods store and the tower which appear to be well maintained.

C&L 1959-03-20 Drumshanbo 3T shunting (6)

Then we move to the 'modern' (for 22August 1953) for a somewhat cleaner well pristine even 802 on the 3.40pm (SO) Dublin-Cork.

CIE 1953-08-22 Ballybrophy 802 on 3.40pm (SO) Kingsbridge-Cork

802 seems to be in the middle of a repaint - black lining added but not the white yet! I suspect she still has a blue numberplate background - while hers did end up red like 801s, it looks a bit dark for that in this photo.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2021 at 9:50 PM, airfixfan said:

Very rare photos of the WW2 branch into the Airport today!

I thought that too, but I have just checked an old OS map which suggests the siding in Ernie's photos is a short station siding - the line into the airfield would have started behind the photographer, headed north and made an almost complete circuit of the airfield, terminating near the village of Killead - see the attached screenshots.

Aldergrove 02.jpg

Aldergrove 01.jpg

Edited by Patrick Davey
  • Like 3