Ballykay

Rate this topic

• 1 month later...

Its been a busy time for the RPSI over Christmas down in Ballykay. Donnell and Ellis were no sooner left Tara Junction when they were on their way to collect the newest arrivals the the RPSI fleet. A K class and a J17 bound for Ballykay. Heres some pictures of the new arrivals and 229 heading of for some major repair work

088.jpg089-2.jpg

090-2.jpg

092-1.jpg

091.jpg

093-1.jpg

087.jpg

086.jpg

085.jpg

084.jpg

083.jpg

082.jpg

081.jpg

080.jpg

079.jpg

078.jpg

077.jpg

076.jpg

075.jpg

074.jpg

Edited by Anthony

anto, what make of colours did you use on the K and C?

Seamus I used various humbrol paints mixed together to get a colour I was happy with. The J17 I did a slightly lighter shade than the K Class. Jhb171achill was saying that there should be a tinge of blue in the K class grey and it took me a long time to achieve this and looking at photos etc I'm not saying I've cracked it but its as close to the photos as I can make out. Take a look at the K Class in the last 4 pics in the link below as its under different light and you can see the colour better.

http://www.irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/1323-CIE-K-Class

Looks top class, Anthony. And the grey is fine - I have seen colour-rail pics showing an occasional one somewhat lighter, and the odd one almost black. According to my dad, who was about Inchicore constantly in his youth, and others, once a loco was in traffic any length of time it would be polished with oily rags a lot and this made it look a bit darker. My dad once saw a J15 being towed out of the paint shop in straightforward WAGON grey. They were temporarily low in loco paint which was a darker grey. Cork sometimes painted smoke boxes black, as in the model - which I think looks very well. There is a pic of a J15 in cork like this in the early 60s in one of those Colourpoint books, just painted, must be one of the last steam engines ever given a proper repaint. And the late Drew Donaldson and Bob Clements complied a list of locos which were actually painted black all over - I think I posted this list in another post. Tell ye what: Inchicore must have been an amazing place in steam days!

Should have added, the RPSI's 186 carries what Senior says is as close to the grey he remembers as anything. Having worn this livery for some years now, it is suitably weathered so I would recommend anyone to copy that. I would see 186s colour as close enough to a weathered version of your loco, which is obviously pristine "ex-works". Again, congrats!