Ballykay

Rate this topic

That weathering is so very realistic. Looking at the way many models seen on these boards are treated like this, i.e. exactly as they are in real life - makes me wonder why anyone would want a shiny model when attempting to achieve realism! A loco straight out of the paint shop in real life will have at least a little weathering after its first trip! Most 141s and 071s in recent years had the day-glo patches on each end - but in most cases these had degenerated to a dirty salmony pink, as we can see.

When I get around to it Stephen I will maybe fit some lights to her as for sound I don't know as the novelty wears of after about 10mins and it just does my head in after that and I end up turning the sound off

Have to agree with this. I've turned some of mine down but still gets on my nerves after a while. I have a couple of yank sound locos on order and they'll be my last sound fitted locos to complete a few lash ups I've been building up.

When I get around to it Stephen I will maybe fit some lights to her as for sound I don't know as the novelty wears of after about 10mins and it just does my head in after that and I end up turning the sound off

I get you there. I like the whole realism aspect of the sound but when I get down to it I'd imagine it might do my head in after a while!

By the way, 078 looks fantastic. I was thinking that of the IE locos in the new batch, 078 would possibly be the least favourite, with most going for 077 or 085. I do prefer 078 though and its great to see how much more work you've put into her.

Thanks for all the comments guys just finished weathering my own 088 and 086 I will post some pictures soon for you as Ive a big run on at the minute weathering 071's for a lot of you guys out there and also a lot of work to do for the forth coming Bangor show. My own 088 and 086 weren't as heavily weathered as my 078 as I wanted them to look relatively new. Can't wait to get my hands on the later IE livery. As I said I'll post up something for you guys soon.:-bd

You taking a stand at the Bangor Show?

Thanks for all the comments guys just finished weathering my own 088 and 086 I will post some pictures soon for you as Ive a big run on at the minute weathering 071's for a lot of you guys out

there and also a lot of work to do for the forth coming Bangor show. My own 088 and 086 weren't as heavily weathered as my 078 as I wanted them to look relatively new. Can't wait to get my hands on the later IE livery. As I said I'll post up something for you guys soon.:-bd

I got a little work done on the layout on Sunday. I made up a new platform and my Hornby station I cut in half to give me a decent sized building. I still have to add fencing and more ballast to the track along the platform and also add scenery, weather/paint the track. What I would like to know from you guys is a typical Irish Station with a passing loop would it have one or two platforms. The track closest the camera is the passing line also would the signal box be near the station and would there be more than one signal box considering there is also a freight yard one box for the yard and one for the mainline/passing loop

photo4-1.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

Edited by Anthony

Tasty work Anto. Cutting the station is a brave but worthwhile move. Most Stations with a passing loop directly in front of the station would have had a second platform to take advantage of loading/discharging passengers for through trains. Most of the MGWR lines out wesht have that configuration, but it's hard to gauge which line is the "running" line as they converge some distance away from the station. Visually, I'd put the SB where the 071 is in the last few photos. It seems just right.

. What I would like to know from you guys is a typical Irish Station with a passing loop would it have one or two platforms. The track closest the camera is the passing line also would the signal box be near the station and would there be more than one signal box considering there is also a freight yard one box for the yard and one for the mainline/passing loop

Nice work Anthony-would this photo be of any help to you?

image-586539118.jpg

It's a typical West of Ireland station before the Mini CTC was introduced.

Tasty work Anto. Cutting the station is a brave but worthwhile move. Most Stations with a passing loop directly in front of the station would have had a second platform to take advantage of loading/discharging passengers for through trains. Most of the MGWR lines out wesht have that configuration, but it's hard to gauge which line is the "running" line as they converge some distance away from the station. Visually, I'd put the SB where the 071 is in the last few photos. It seems just right.

Have taken your comments on board and I will have a play about with the position of the signal box:tumbsup:

. What I would like to know from you guys is a typical Irish Station with a passing loop would it have one or two platforms. The track closest the camera is the passing line also would the signal box be near the station and would there be more than one signal box considering there is also a freight yard one box for the yard and one for the mainline/passing loop

[ATTACH]6580[/ATTACH]

Great picture there Noel where would the signal box have been situated in that photo. What was throwing me off was I've been looking at photos of Ballina with its one platform. Would both platforms be the same length or one short one long

[ATTACH]6580[/ATTACH]

Great picture there Noel where would the signal box have been situated in that photo. What was throwing me off was I've been looking at photos of Ballina with its one platform. Would both platforms be the same length or one short one long

The signal box is located on the loop platform to the right of the footbridge-and before the platform extentions took place as part of the Mini CTC-both platforms were about 90m in length,

Check out page 103 of"Rails to the West"for a photo of the former down platform and footbridge at Ballina taken in 1974-before it was remodelled the following year.

Guest hidden-agenda

Brilliant work and i love the platform, i like the saw it looks to be the kinda machine i might think about having just in case.

Some passing stations had only one platform, Clara on the Athlone branch is a good example.

The position of the signal box can vary but tend to be near the greatest concentration of pointwork. On the Midland, Northern and Southern they tended to be close to the end of the platform, while the South Eastern tended to build them into the foot bridge. There were some oddities the signal cabin in Fermoy was tucked into a blind corner at the back of the station.

Two platforms were usual, but Clara is a good exception. Tullamore also had only one platform until it became part of the main Galway line, when the 2nd platform was added. Until then, it had a substantial goods yard opposite the platform. Generally, if it's a passing point on a passenger line in CIE / IE days, it needs 2 platforms. A terminus only needs 1.

Ballinasloe is a good example of an ex-Midland station still with a passing loop.

Millstreet is a modern single platform station from the GSWR. It used to have a 2nd platform up the middle, but this has been removed and the track realigned. Banteer and Rathmore still have both platforms and a passing loop.

On the DSER, 2 platforms were the norm at passing points. Rathdrum was unusual in being signalled for trains to use the right hand loop. The left hand loop in the down direction led onto a falling gradient, whereas the right had a level headshunt, so there was less risk of a runaway.

The norm for the GNR was 2 platforms, again with exceptions.

Your station looks like a former junction, with a bay behind the platform, now lifted. If so, the majority of the points would have been at the branch end, so the signal box should go there. Other general rules for signal boxes is to locate them beside any level crossing, to operate and supervise it, and generally they go at the end of the platform. DSER boxes were generally accessed off the footbridge.

Nice looking station. Don't forget to repaint the woodwork. Under CIE, doors and woodwork were grey with occasional bits of black or white. From about 1985-6 a deep green was used, at least for mainline stations, and there was a deep blue too at some point. I have a photo of Malahide in dark and light blue - it looks awful. I've lost track of what colour they are now - mostly galvanised where I am.

Regarding platform length, the down platform in Malahide was about 6 carriage lengths, while the up platform could handle a 9 coach train. They were rebuilt for the DART so now the signal box is mid-platform, but it used to be at the end. Platforms on the Mayo branch were only about 3 coaches long in the 80s - I once got off at Castlebar airfield rather than in the station.

Alan