Hello all

Rate this topic

Claretrainman

Hello everybody

I have been looking at this site for for nearly over a year now, on and off, and its time i introduce myself, long overdue, I'm Martin from Clare. long time collector of Irish models, and trains=)) no layout, just collecting till i finally get one. i'm in awe of the work some of you are producing, model making, resprays, weathering, layout building. hope to make all of your acquaintance in time, till then keep up the good work all. =D

Probably best included in household insurance under "valuables", I would think.

That won't cut the mustard for an extensive collection as far as I know, JB. It's actually something I keep telling myself I should look into but never actually get around to...

PS: Welcome aboard, Claretrainman!

Don't be tempted to try what some idiot near here did a few years ago. To stop people breaking into his shed, he rigged up a sawn off shotgun and a tripwire, aimed at groin height as the intruder came through the door. It worked perfectly, as he found out when he went in the shed and forgot it was there...

Mind you, for someone breaking into someone else's house, I'd be all for that happening to them!

Insurance - probably, then, best to shop around. Years and years ago, I had some very expensive came equipment and I found that if you shopped around, you'd get it covered for about 10% of the cost of taking out some sort of special policy. From memory, it worked out at maybe €40 a year on top of the basic policy cost. Maybe double that nowadays.

Jesus lads, hard to believe, most don't have full insurance on their collections, (my dumb ass included)

It came to mind the other night, neighbor had a Christmas lights type fire, he collects books/artie stuff, not covered by house insurance to anywhere near there full value, really bad smoke damage and with all the flooding.

anyone on here in the insurance game? group buy!

Don't be tempted to try what some idiot near here did a few years ago. To stop people breaking into his shed, he rigged up a sawn off shotgun and a tripwire, aimed at groin height as the intruder came through the door. It worked perfectly, as he found out when he went in the shed and forgot it was there...

I still have the limp....

Hi Martin,

if you're planning a layout best place is B&Q out in Ballysimon to get the baseboards, Woodies in Jetland- Limerick I'm reliably informed are a bit pricier ( My father has very set opinions on wood and where to buy it).

There is a hobby shop in Lwr Gerald Griffin st in Limerick that you can track from and other stuff , I think they are still selling railway stuff as I haven't been in there in a few years.

Bill

Cheers billyboy, always handy to know,alot of diy in my future before layout gets a look in.

hobby shop in Lwr Gerald Griffin st in Limerick, The Gathering i think, had very little railway stuff,last the i was in but all the trees, walls, grass of both types you would need for layout, think its gone very wargamey! or warhammer.

there used to be a cracking hobby shop on the corner of Lwr Gerald Griffin st and sexton st, many moons ago, anyone remember it?

Well jhb, I have a clear recollection of having gone into Monk Place Phibsborogh to the "Model Railway shop " on a Sunday morning in the late 60's only to find the door shut & according to the newsagents accross the road he, the owner had bought his papers fron the neighbours shop & returned to his own shop & closed the door, never to open it again !! Now, there are some on here who will contradict what I'm saying,as has been done before on here, some will say the shop was open in the 70's or even the 80's, anyway I'm sticking to my story, is was a long trek from Foxrock to Phibsborogh, & there was no Dart or Luas in those years !!

Well jhb, I have a clear recollection of having gone into Monk Place Phibsborogh to the "Model Railway shop " on a Sunday morning in the late 60's only to find the door shut & according to the newsagents accross the road he, the owner had bought his papers fron the neighbours shop & returned to his own shop & closed the door, never to open it again !! Now, there are some on here who will contradict what I'm saying,as has been done before on here, some will say the shop was open in the 70's or even the 80's, anyway I'm sticking to my story, is was a long trek from Foxrock to Phibsborogh, & there was no Dart or Luas in those years !!

I wasn't born until the 80s and I was in it. Have the Hornby duchess to prove it and know a former employee of Leinster models. Let's hope you don't take being corrected too badly this time :)

This has been discussed on here before & I said I was in that shop in the late 60's or there abouts then & I say the same now, so even if you played with the Duchess I say it closed in the late 60's or early 70's,

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/2604-Just-a-memory-Phibsboro-Modellers-Shop?highlight=memory+Phibsboro+model+shop

This has been discussed on here before & I said I was in that shop in the late 60's or there abouts then & I say the same now' date=' so even if you played with the Duchess I say it closed in the late 60's or early 70's, http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/2604-Just-a-memory-Phibsboro-Modellers-Shop?highlight=memory+Phibsboro+model+shop
Christ. I can't believe anyone would be that pig ignorant or as stupid as you're displaying. All I can decide is that you're trolling. Week in the cooler for you. Enjoy. Edited by Warbonnet

Again I find this a harsh decision by the mods

Burnthebox might not be as train savvy as some on here but he is making a statement which he thinks is correct

He even asked the question in his highlighted thread if there was another shop that he may have been mixing up with the Monck Place one.

Anyway it must be great to be right all the time.

Paul, given the opinion of several members offered on the thread, it seems more likely than not that you may be mistaken on this point. I was never there so cannot comment one way or the other.

Nonetheless, I have to agree with Dave on this point that, having read the thread, the decision to hand out a temporary ban without warning on this difference of opinion seems unnecessarily harsh and to my mind of limited value. I do not think it impartial for a moderator as a protagonist in the disputed opinion to hand out a ban when the moderator on this forum appears to be garfieldsghost.

The site a a source of information, support, and enjoyment for all the members, punctuated by occasional hiccoughs. Frequent bans and thread locking are detrimental to to the site and potential membership as we are in general terms a small community. I hope that everyone will have had an opportunity to reflect overnight and that we can all resume tomorrow.:)

Regards to all

Agree with Dive and Dave here, Paul is expressing his view of his own memory and recollection of the shop, irrespective of whether he is right or wrong he is giving his own opinion. Tolerance and respect for the opinions of others is surely a prerequisite on a social media site such as this one and as big Dave points out - who among us are infallible?