New 4mm kit released. Great Southern Railways Class 800 "Maedhbh"

Rate this topic

Weshty

This topic crops up at least once a year somewhere, without fail...

Unfortunately, even if they got past the weight issue, 800 is out of gauge for the vast majority of the network. It's just one of a myriad of reasons why she'll never run again.

Also, the permanent way department would baulk at the thoughts of that hammer blow...

Edited by Garfield

This topic crops up at least once a year somewhere, without fail...

Unfortunately, even if they got past the weight issue, 800 is out of gauge for the vast majority of the network. It's just one of a myriad of reasons why she'll never run again.

Also, the permanent way department would baulk at the thoughts of that hammer blow...

Beat me to it Garfieldghost,

The norm with weight limits, speed limits etc is to operate within safe limits, the stock and infrastructure could take higher speeds, heavier loads but the risks and costs associated would increase dramatically.

As it was drumed into us in college

Assess the risk-> limit exposure to the risk-> find an alternative or eliminate the hazard.

If they can run all their preserved loco in the UK on the main lines I don't see why they can't do it here. I think it's just down to red tape. If the Irish rail network goes like the UK into private ownership I think you might one day see more preserved locos running more frequently.

Might have missed something here, but hasn t the RPSI, ITG been doing this for years. Might be wrong on this but wasn t the RPSI doing the only Preserved steam runs in the British Isles till the ban was lifted in the UK?

Might have missed something here, but hasn t the RPSI, ITG been doing this for years. Might be wrong on this but wasn t the RPSI doing the only Preserved steam runs in the British Isles till the ban was lifted in the UK?

Was the ban not lifted in the UK because the network was privatised???? And another thing who mentioned the RPSI I thought we were talking about the possiblities of putting Mave back on the rails. The point I'm making is that if the network here is ever privatised and we were to have our version of rail track/network rail, I think the revenue they would make from private rail tours would over come any red tape and someone with a big enough wallet may decide to try and put her back on the rails.

Edited by Anthony

Was the ban not lifted in the UK because the network was privatised???? And another thing who mentioned the RPSI I thought we were talking about the possiblities of putting Mave back on the rails. The point I'm making is that if the network here is ever privatised and we were to have our version of rail track/network rail, I think the revenue they would make from private rail tours would over come any red tape and someone with a big enough wallet may decide to try and put her back on the rails.

No, the ban was lifted in 1971, 22 years before EU directive 91/440 and the resulting 1993 Railway Act, Foster Yeoman, National power and ARC were doing private freight operations before this but with BR crews. Not to mention the numerous Preserved loco railtours,.

I thought it was more Preserved locos in general my apologies on that.

I would love to see more railtours especially down in these neck in the woods especially if they ever got Maeve out of Cultra i d know i try if the auld euromillions numbers came in.

Edited by Riversuir226

It might be simpler to build a standard gauge ⅞ scale replica that could double as a Re-built Scott and run it in the UK :o

Apart from the issue of getting the UFTM to part with the loco, raising the money to fund a restoration, overcoming the regulatory/engineering challenges, I think an Irish operator would struggle to cover running and maintenance costs for the restored loco.

CIE struggled to find work for the 800s in the 1950s and the RPSI have struggled to find work suitable for the GNR Compound Merlin, while there may be some initial interest, it would be difficult to see an operator regulary filling 10-12 coach steam hauled excursion trains on the Cork and Belfast lines.

Edited by Mayner

Why would 800 be out of guage? I don't know whether the hammer blow is a real issue as my research indicates that the use of 3 cylinders meant this wasn't a big issue when they first became operational. And remember all jointed track too.

The real issue is cost and with our population size it would be difficult for it to pay its way, but it is worth debating this once a year. If the RPSI haven't preserved the few locos back in the 60s where would we be now. Its not totally unrealistic to think 800 could make a comeback with some deep pockets and a bit of positive thinking!

Those railtours in the UK are big business for internal tourism and the 'tornado' affect had a big impact on it.

Nobody on this island would like to see "Maedb" back in traffic more than me! But I have to say (and with benefit of RPSI experience for many years) that it is safe to say it won't run again.

Theoretically, of course, it could; theoretically anything can happen. The issue which would need to be faced are the size of the locomotive, which would make many bridges tight, the colossal cost of retoring it and training crews, and the economics of running it. The RPSI operates in a much smaller marketplace than UK train operators, and even if the market was there things like platform lengths come into play. How many stations in Ireland could take a 15 or 20-bogie train? Modern H & S regulations wouldn't allow a train to operate which was longer than the passenger platform at which it stopped.

Cultra have a live steam model of 800, though not on display. It is one of a number built by the late model maker from Dublin, (someone) Montgomery. I think it is 7 inch or 10.5 inch gauge. THAT could operate!

How many stations in Ireland could take a 15 or 20-bogie train? Modern H & S regulations wouldn't allow a train to operate which was longer than the passenger platform at which it stopped.

There are still exceptions to this even today though. An 8 car 29 set in platform 1 at Connolly has it's last door or first over the platform ramp. I cannot be used and if someone tried to use it to leave the train without looking there is a big drop. Don't know if it's still used for in service trains in the new timetabe but I use to get early morning Maynooth trains from there a few years ago. Then last year on the Howth branch with the first working of a 201 hauling a train on the line the train stopped short in Sutton station leaving the last few Cravens outside the station for a photo op for passengers, suppose that was grandfather rights there though.

I think deep down its everyone's dream to see her grace Irish rails again. And my opinion and attitude is never say never after all look at the Flying Scotsman's story even though it nearly bankrupted a few millionaire's she was brought back from the dead and there is nothing to say that in the future a couple of millionaires/railtour companies here might do the same. Nobody knows what the future holds in store. Now where did I put those Euro millions numbers ;)

We should probably get a syndicate together on this board to do the euro millions!

Wouldn t be a bad idea, where do i sign up?

Jaysus (just a thought) we'd all end up with collections like Wrenn if we ever won, anybody selling on ebay would make a killing on any irish model they put up on there.

Were do i sign up

Maybe someone should restore it and convert it to 5'6" gauge and run it in Spain. Then we could all go out on our holidays and say, 'she used to be one of ours'.

Or just send it to Queensland, or was it NSW?

(Light the blue touch paper. Stand well back...)

Victoria or South Oz you're thinking of. She'd look like a Hornby loco next to this yoke...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_Railways_H_class

Maybe the Aussies might build a replica! Possibly cheaper......... :-)

Maybe not, judging by the price of their Railcar 'B' lookalike!!

http://www.precisionscalemodels.com.au/models/v-r-%E2%80%9Cwalker%E2%80%9D-rail-motor-102153-h-p-diesel-rail-car-trailer/

(VR blue and gold would look nice in Downpatrick??!!)

Edited by minister_for_hardship
  • WOW! 1

I doubt it, Heirflick. I suspect that any attempt by me to put it together would result in criminal - and unreversible - vandalism of the kit!! I'd be looking for a professional builder / painter...

My modelling skills in the past were OK for plastic kits, but not something as sophisticated and finely made as this! I'll have a couple of GSR coaches with it as a display item; now all I need alongside it is a grubby J15 with a couple of six wheelers!

I doubt it, Heirflick. I suspect that any attempt by me to put it together would result in criminal - and unreversible - vandalism of the kit!! I'd be looking for a professional builder / painter...

I'm doing a few of these kits this year for some people so I could add you to that if you'd like?

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

apologies for going a little off topic but anything is possible with 800.

It is estimated that one of the worlds biggest steam locos restoration recently cost Union Pacific $4 million.

It had been out in the elements forever ( granted California doesn't see much rain) 

Union Pacific 4104.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, K801 said:

apologies for going a little off topic but anything is possible with 800.

It is estimated that one of the worlds biggest steam locos restoration recently cost Union Pacific $4 million.

It had been out in the elements forever ( granted California doesn't see much rain) 

Union Pacific 4104.jpg

Anything is possible with a huge railfan base, no line restrictions / clearance issues and firms like Exxon Mobil and Boeing throwing money at it. Here we have to take a more realistic view.

• Like 3

On 6/16/2020 at 1:33 AM, minister_for_hardship said:

Anything is possible with a huge railfan base, no line restrictions / clearance issues and firms like Exxon Mobil and Boeing throwing money at it. 

Please provide information that Exxon and Boeing funded it?  

Edited by K801