New 4mm kit released. Great Southern Railways Class 800 "Maedhbh"

Rate this topic

Weshty

Studio Scale models are proud to announce the release of their finest and most detailed kit to date, the Great Southern Railways Class 800. The biggest and most powerful engines ever to run in Ireland, they were designed by Edgar Bredin with drawings prepared by H. J. A. Beaumont. This kit is dedicated to their memory.

This is a brass kit with nicklesilver chassis and whitemetal detailing. As with all SSM kits, everything is provided "except for paint and labour". Etched numbering and nameplates are included for all three locos, Maedhbh, Macha and Tailte. A resin casting has been specially commissioned to represent the compound curves of the firebox front. Transfers, lining, plunger pickups and sprung buffers are also included.

OO wheels and crankpins, gearbox, motor and Drivestretcher are also available to purchase with the kit. See http://www.studio-scale-models.com for further details including photos and pricing.

K29-5.JPG

K29-3.JPG

K29-2.JPG

K29.jpg

K29-5.JPG

K29-3.JPG

K29-2.JPG

K29.jpg

Edited by Weshty
  • Like 1

John, given I've only just launched the 800, not likely! Seriously though, if I do any other loco, it will be either a D17 or D19. But I have several other items that are close to my heart to do before I go near another loco or DMU.

John, given I've only just launched the 800, not likely! Seriously though, if I do any other loco, it will be either a D17 or D19. But I have several other items that are close to my heart to do before I go near another loco or DMU.

The 3/4 front view of the model certainly captures the same massive look as Glenderg's screen saver.

If you ever get round to the D17 I will definitely have one maybe two to keep my J15s company 2 built, one in the works, 2 more waiting!

I was very impressed on a recent visit to Cultra to see the real 800 class Maedbh,it's sheer size etc,

It must have been some sight on the mainline,

Des-you have certainly captured the impressive look of the loco-and if I had the confidence to build one I would certainly have one,

Well done-and best of luck with it.

any hints :D

any hints :D

Snapper, plenty of them dropped over the last while. ;) Thanks for all the good feedback lads. Glenderg, LOVE the frontpage of your PC. You did well to get taht shot, the lighting in Cultra is not the best and very hard to get a good overall angle of Maedhbh, but you managed nicely.

W O WWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is amazing! I'm starting to gather funds already....

A D17, as Des men tions, would be a lovely addition too, as would (and yes, i'm biased) an "Achill Bogie" D16!

That model of 800 is a credit to you Des - absolutely superb. Can't wait to see one running.

Guest hidden-agenda
Thanks again folks. I've added a Youtube clip of the Walschaerts Valve Gear in action. 8 seconds of pleasure.:D

Runs well and looks great Des but could you post a video with the body on and at least long enough to finish the half bottle of Black Bush i have left ?

regards Gareth.