From the Catacombs

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

12 hours ago, Patrick Davey said:

Cloghan Point spoil contract indeed it was:

https://www.geograph.ie/photo/3505762

I wonder are there any photos of the siding at Cloghan Point, nothing there now.

NIR was a once a year thing for me and the Larne line was always a bit confusing. Ballylumford Power Station seemed to move paradoxically in the landscape and Larne Lough narrowed to become Belfast Lough?! Lots of little halts with names like Glynn and Eden, then one year everything went industrial with overhead pipes, a jetty and a siding. A great little journey, underrated for sure.

Edited by NIR

My daily commute to school in the 80s! Agreed - 70 class plus semaphores made it rather congenial. Lots of interesting relics back in the day such as Courtaulds sidings, harbour line at Carrick, plus Greenisland back line and narrow gauge action in Larne. Around 1949, with all those still in action, would have been fascinating (and don’t forget the tramway under the line at Magheramorne!).

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Midland Man said:

If the person who took the photo was on a bridge it could make a great layout. Plus many people like layout with tons of track and this one got it.

Yes, it was my father who took it, and it is on a bridge. The area is unrecognisable today due to redevelopment.

Outside JHBs late 1930s time period but a useful overview of the LNWR station and Holyhead Yard. It would have been difficult to get a decent view of the station and hotel from the North or South Quays as the area (The Campshires) was occupied by large rather brick storage sheds.

217989739_HolyheadYardtheend2004.jpg.17111b942da3cd3d7f72b12c8f555ce1.jpg

North Wall Holyhead Yard late 2003. Remains of LNWR train shed and station red building on left distance. New IE Container Terminal offices in new temporary office complex on approaches to LNWR station at left.

LNWR Hotel large building with chimneys and dormer windows in left distance. Chester & Holyhead Railway Wool Store large stone building between station and hotel.

1436413198_HolyheadYard20July2005.jpg.f290ca458796efa0ae03ce053870e399.jpg

View from the same vantage point July 2005. Remains of LNWR Train Shed removed rear of LNWR station red brick building visible in distance.

1142153653_HolyheadYardallthatsleft27May2005.jpg.8ce05d73a2f38b856ac9496238083755.jpg

Remains of approach roads to LNWR station in use as shunting neck to allow trains from the Belfast Line and North Dublin Loop Line to reverse into the temporary container terminal in the Midland Yard

301571924_LNWRStationChesterHolyheadRailwayWoolstore20July2005.jpg.5ed9709b263fb616063c14593744eaea.jpg

All cleaned up LNWR station and restored Wool Store from North Wall Quay

1009028555_LNWRStation20July2005.thumb.jpg.08f75abaebea6886a87c6ac3036d9b6a.jpg

LNWR Station and Hotel. This photo would have been almost impossible a couple of years earlier as most of this section of the quay or Campshires was covered with large brick sheds

2030614703_LNWRHotel20July2005.jpg.3594da166e5123162eb598671808acd4.jpg

LNWR Hotel facade cleaned and renovated. For many years the brickwork on this building had weathered to a dark purple similar to GSWR purple lake!

The line linking the Interlink linking the Northern & South Western Lines will pass beneath this area and the Liffey if it ever gets built.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, NIR said:

I wonder are there any photos of the siding at Cloghan Point, nothing there now.

NIR was a once a year thing for me and the Larne line was always a bit confusing. Ballylumford Power Station seemed to move paradoxically in the landscape and Larne Lough narrowed to become Belfast Lough?! Lots of little halts with names like Glynn and Eden, then one year everything went industrial with overhead pipes, a jetty and a siding. A great little journey, underrated for sure.

There are photos of Cloghan Point trains in books by Roy Carlisle.

• Like 2

The right hand pair are Tans but the rest are, properly speaking, Auxiliaries, who were a different cadre. Note how one is a former RAF pilot. This may even be the man who had a short lived career in the Irish Air Corps until his 1920-21 service record was examined!

• Informative 1

North Wall happier times June 2001, I think it was dead and awaiting burial the following year. As usual double click on it to see the full images.

They used to assemble the various 'liners' here under the container travelling crane, I think this one was for Belfast or possibly Dundalk

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, PorkyP said:

As I recall ( not that i was around then obviously!) Auxiliaries were recruited from all ex officers, whereas b&t's were a motley of unemployed ex soldiers, ie other ranks.

The Auxiliries were a separate division of the RIC who were recruited from ex British Army officers a out 1500 men by 1920

The Black and Tans were like Military Policeman about 9,000 strong who were mainly ex British soldiers and Sailors of a different social class than the Auxiliries. They are often confused.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Today we’re back on the NCC in the early 1940s, exact date unknown, but pre-1944.

Ballymoney station looking towards Coleraine / Derry, With the main line on the left and the narrow gauge Ballycastle line on the right.

CD77A36F-4C34-4B0D-98D4-80BB064189CB.jpeg

So much detail in that JB - could look at it for hours........

• Like 1

/Never heard of Obelisk Hill railway station though.

Obelisk Hill railway station was below the Vico road at about mile post 9, from 1855 until 1857.

Ballybrack Station was mile post 10.15 from 1854 to 1857

and mile post 10.20 from 1857 until 1882.

Killiney station was at mile post 9.50 from 1854 to 1882

The present Killiney and Ballybrack station at mile post 9.74 replaced these in 1882.   

Ballybrack station house is on upside and is now a private dwelling at the corner on Seafield Road. 

There does not seem to be any trace of Obelisk station.   It may have been near the footbridge on the path from Vico Road to the beach.

Information from Dublin & South Eastern Railway by Ernie Shepherd and Gerry Beesley, page 154.

DSERetc

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Inchicore Paint Shop 1939

Off went jhb171Senior for a wee dander, as them‘unns up in the north do say. It’s summer 1939; the British and German governments seem to be talking a lot these days, and there’s some issue on the Czech border. Never mind; university is out for the long hot summer, and the smell of fresh grey lead-based paint entices, amongst the ever present tint of coal smoke hanging over the Inchicore area.

And miracle of miracles, Senior actually has his camera with him this day, to witness a symphony in new shiny grey paint, which won’t stay shiny beyond a week in traffic, I dare say.

This trio are ready to go back into traffic after a major overhaul and repaint.

0CCE229E-0DF5-4068-87B8-34D2A6F4F85D.jpeg

F1868384-8577-4D89-B368-E2B5E4A04567.jpeg

CAE562C5-64E9-4DDE-B590-8E482FFAFF16.jpeg

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 9

45 minutes ago, Midland Man said:

Fabulous phot @jhb171achill

609s tender looks quite small and old. Did it ever get a new one?

Tenders tended to get swopped about regularly. What's probably going on there is that 609's normal tender is still being painted, but they want the engine back in traffic ASAP.

This was common on all railways. When I was travelling in Asian countries chasing working steam in the 1970s, if the particular livery details included a loco number painted on a tender as well as the lock (as in Indonesia), you'd often get mismatching tenders. Ireland was no different. Sometimes it happened even between compatible classes. While not know for certain, it is believed that 186's tender at Whitehead is not actually hers, and may not have been built for a J15 at all; though the occasionally-heard story that it's off a 400 class is most certainly not the case at all! The RPSI's No. 85 runs with a tender which was not its original one, and I think 171 is the same.

I have seen a colour picture taken probably about 1960 with a black 400-class (very dirty) paired with an absolutely FILTHY green tender!

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Fabulous photos to have Jonathan, thanks for posting.  Wonder why 103 has such a tall chimney compared to the other two?

I think it is a combination of several factors. Slightly smaller boiler, and height of it in relation to chassis, but also the picture is taken from a slightly different angle. Senior had a habit of climbing on things - anything from a chair or box, to a nearby wagon roof - to get a better angle for pictures, and this one is taken from a slightly higher angle. So maybe the photographic angle shows this more.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

5 minutes ago, Midland Man said:

Lovely engine. Pity we will never see one run again. Probally for the better. The Baltic tanks would look well in 3mm.

MM

Once the Model Railway Museum reopens in Malahide again, you can see two superb models made by Fry of two different classes of BCDR tanks.